ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: Master tint thread
0%
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Official ES Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-04, 09:42 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Agreed, black / charcoal colour looks much better.
Old 05-04-04, 11:35 AM
MRLEXUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by juan01
dude, the colors of our cars are similar huh?
ha ha ya they do
Old 05-06-04, 07:20 PM
sk8er251cc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wonderous reflections of black 3m tint
Attached Thumbnails Official ES Tint Thread - add your pics here!-small-back-rims.jpg  
Old 05-09-04, 03:44 PM
LexusDaisy
Rookie

Default Tint??

I don't know much about tint.

Does the tinted side windows bother you when driving the car?
Does it keep the car cooler in summer?
Do back window too?
How much does it cost?
Does a body shop have to do this?

I have a dark green 96 ES with grey side moldings. What color tint would you suggest? Could I find a dark green to match the car? Thanks
Old 06-20-04, 08:54 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Tint??

Originally posted by LexusDaisy
I don't know much about tint.

Does the tinted side windows bother you when driving the car?
Does it keep the car cooler in summer?
Do back window too?
How much does it cost?
Does a body shop have to do this?

I have a dark green 96 ES with grey side moldings. What color tint would you suggest? Could I find a dark green to match the car? Thanks
LexusDaisy,

1) It all depends on you as the driver and whether the tinted windows impede your driving vision or not. It may not be noticeably different during the daytime, but at nighttime everything will appear darker than should be. Also, watch out for cops especially at nighttime (unless you choose your tint to be at or below the state limit).
2) Yes, the whole idea behind tint is to keep your car cooler in the summer and protect your leather seats from being destroyed or dried out from the prolonged heat. Tint does not only serve as a purpose of looking "cool" or "anonymous" behind the wheel
3) Again, the back window is up to you if you want it tinted. For uniformity, I'd do the rear windshield. Keep in mind that some kinds of tint could interfere with your AM/FM radio reception and navigation if equipped with your car. Ask the tint shop about it before placing your order.
4) A tint job costs roughly between $100-$150 per car for all 4 (or 5, if rear windshield is included) windows. Tint can also be done by yourself if so inclined, but as far as quality, you might be better off letting a professional install it for you and pay the little extra money.
5) Any reputable tint shop should be able to do the job for you. Best to ask those who have had tinted windows, especially if they are your friends or someone you know.

Good luck
Old 06-20-04, 09:05 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

I'd go with a quality charcoal shad as it goes with any colour. It also looks best when it's one shade all the way around.....check with your local state laws.......I put the 20% shade (a medium shade) on all windows. I just wish I could figure out my scanner to post the pics of how it looks lol.
Old 06-28-04, 07:20 AM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

Default Tint for a Silver 96Es

Hey guys.. I just had a look at Dougs thread.. He went the tint on his, and it looks great!!!

Now it has me curious as to what I should do with mine... As mine is silver.. Anyone have any suggestions, or pics of silver rides with tint?

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Official ES Tint Thread - add your pics here!-picture-123.jpg  
Old 06-28-04, 07:13 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine is silver too and I am considering a tint similar to what came in the RX of years past.
A smoke/bronze would also be nice.

I do like that silver tint that fades into black as it goes up the window (like Kendu14 has) but something tells me that is too radical for my mello tone.......yeah right. I might go that route too.

I don't know......so many choices. Basic black, not to light, not too dark is always slick on silver.

steviej (a very tint confused steviej)
Old 06-28-04, 08:22 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

I love that silver color on the first gen es. Auslex thats a great color to have. As far as tint I'd say you cant go wrong with silver. What are your main choices?
Old 06-28-04, 09:15 PM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

Well I am as confused as steviej....

But I really love the smoked look on Dougs black one.. Just not sure how it would look on mine though?... I am thinking too dark would look a little over the top, but yet too little, then no point.. So thats the hard part, what is a good compromise?.. Not a big fan of reflective tints, so will try and find a nice shade to go with.. Stevie, I think a smoked tint would look good on the silver?

Chris
Old 06-28-04, 09:33 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

You guy's might be suprised the way the "charcoal" (which is the most common colour of tint) blends with whatever colour the car is. Because my car is the Cashmere beige metallic, I originally was considering a bronze shade of tint, but it was not offered by many professional tint shops as it was not popular nor a very good quality tint (they would not guarantee a lifetime warranty as it was not a metalized tint & prone to peeling & fading after only several years). All the places I checked out suggested the charcoal as the shade to get & as it turns out I'm very glad I listened to them as I think the car looks just awesome and ad's that much more class to an already sharp car. I just have to get my butt in gear & post some pics as soon as I get time to use the scanner & how to work the thing lol.
Old 04-30-05, 02:08 PM
JMny2004
Driver School Candidate

Question What color tint?

Hey all. I have a 1998 ES300, and I believe the color is "antique sage pearl." It's kind of a dark gold color. What color tint would y'all suggest? I'm getting bored with the regular windows!
Old 04-30-05, 02:11 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

black.. i hate all mirror type or tint.. nothing beats black IMO
Old 04-30-05, 02:48 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

i agree, just black, everything else has no class.
Old 04-30-05, 02:50 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Black

Quick Reply: Official ES Tint Thread - add your pics here!