ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2004 ES 330 Issues: Need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 04:00 PM
iowaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2004 ES 330 Issues: Need suggestions

Hello all, I just need suggestions regarding some issues I am having with my 2004 ES330

1) Transmission slippage/jerk- I understand the ES330 has some issues with hesitation and delays but every once in a while, the transmission seems to "slip" when I am sitting still and accelerate, the car jerks for about 3 seconds- bear in mind that this does not happen all the time- only a few times every week. Should I be concerned? Or is this part of the transmission delay/lack of response issue?

2) 6 CD Changer- My 6 CD Changer's magazine got stuck, I was able to remove it but not, the 6 CD changer is not working. Maybe not a huge deal but I don't like have things that don't work with my cars- any ideas on where to go to get it fixed other than a Lexus dealership, any ideas on how much a new 6 CD changer replacement would cost?

Thanks!

Last edited by iowaman; 08-04-17 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-04-17, 11:46 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

1) This sounds like more than the common lag some experience in stop-go traffic. But, maybe that is what you are describing. Three seconds is too long if that is an accurate lag time, and there shouldn't be true "slip." First question, is how many miles, when was the last transmission service, and are you positive it was done with the correct fluid (T-IV or an equivalent).

2) This is really common. Sometimes you can select through the discs, and see the one stuck. You can insert a thin tool to hook the disc and pull it out (I did this once with a dental tool). Sometimes it's terminal, however. These things just don't last forever.
The following users liked this post:
iowaman (08-05-17)
Old 08-05-17, 03:13 AM
iowaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro
1) This sounds like more than the common lag some experience in stop-go traffic. But, maybe that is what you are describing. Three seconds is too long if that is an accurate lag time, and there shouldn't be true "slip." First question, is how many miles, when was the last transmission service, and are you positive it was done with the correct fluid (T-IV or an equivalent).

2) This is really common. Sometimes you can select through the discs, and see the one stuck. You can insert a thin tool to hook the disc and pull it out (I did this once with a dental tool). Sometimes it's terminal, however. These things just don't last forever.

Thanks, Oro! My ES 330 just hit 140,000- I bought it at 132,000- did a pre purchase inspection and they told me the transmission was fine at the time- I did some more research and it seems like the transmission fluid may need to be changed. I will bring it into a transmission place and see what they say.

I don't know when the last transmission fluid service was performed but hopefully that takes care of it. It could that the ATF fluid was never changed since the previous owner did not know anything about cars- I hooked up my OBDII scanner this morning to see if it could be something else- 0 codes found- So I guess, I will start with an ATF change and go from there.

Last edited by iowaman; 08-05-17 at 03:35 AM.
Old 08-05-17, 10:31 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Be sure to use a T-IV compatible fluid of the right viscosity and one that is not "backward compatible" and thinner. The newer Dex VI-thickness fluids (thinner) tend to exacerbate the shifting issues IME. T-IV is a modified DexIII fluid. A good, available fluid that meets this is Castrol Transmax High Mileage. The Castrol Import Multi Vehicle is a good pick too, but 2nd IMO. Both are widely available in gallon jugs at a fair price (Autozone and Walmart usually have both, for example).

At that mileage, I would drop the pan to clean it out, inspect the filter. It is a wire mesh and does not require replacement. Then refill the pan and pump out about 6 more quarts via a cooler line. I would also add a magnefine filter in-line on a cooler hose. Avoid the temptation to add any additive quick-fixes to the transmission. This is the procedure in general. Different Toyota, but the same. Also, do the PS system at the same time. It's only a quart.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...lush-pics.html