ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Bought a project, it's turning into something bigger

Old 07-26-17, 11:08 PM
98Es300Izz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a project, it's turning into something bigger

Hey everyone I'm very new to this site, well about two days ago I bought a 98 es300 as my first car, the owner told me the engine burns oil because it needs valve work. I believed him and well I don't know if it needs just that, I do not plan on taking it to a mechanic I plan on doing everything myself as I have a few student ASE certifications, Id just love some more input because well I like help, when I bought it the owner drove it from Pomona to Hesperia, about 55 miles, when the transaction of money was completed and after he left I started the car again. Well my mom noticed the car spits out oil, literally oil is splattered on my driveway, I then looked inside the injen intake and there was oil in there as well, the engine occasionally has a misfire because oil covers the o2 sensors and well the engine doesn't really know what to do, other than the engine it's a pretty clean car, lowered on d2 racing coil overs, has rims from a g35, 01 es300 headlights, hids, LEDs all around, Windows visors, the "Jdm" way as the owner called it, I have receipts to work he's had done and it's pretty much all engine work (like water pump, radiator, thermostat, etc.) except the internals like valves pistons lifters etc, yes there is a brand new pcv valve he even included another new one

Old 07-27-17, 12:25 AM
ALISC400
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apologies as I cant help but just wanted to compliment those rims. Really look good!

My shot in the dark would be to check the seals or at least where the leak is coming from. Any burning smell within the interior or exterior?
Finally, when it drives, do you notice anything wrong with the car? any engine lights pop up? A little more information could help.
Old 07-27-17, 11:36 AM
98Es300Izz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALISC400
Apologies as I cant help but just wanted to compliment those rims. Really look good!

My shot in the dark would be to check the seals or at least where the leak is coming from. Any burning smell within the interior or exterior?
Finally, when it drives, do you notice anything wrong with the car? any engine lights pop up? A little more information could help.
Haha thanks man I'm only 17 and I worked pretty hard for the car but anyways, the oil is everywhere, exhaust, intake, when I drive it kind of feels like it needs to clear it's throat like something is making it not hit its full potential,but after a while it runs decent, it is straight piped except the cat is there with an injen intake, sometimes the check engine light flashes and that indicates the misfire and too much gas is burning but like I said maybe it's confusing it with the oil who knows..
Old 07-27-17, 03:08 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Planning on painting your brake calibers ?
Old 07-27-17, 03:11 PM
98Es300Izz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nguyenazn
Planning on painting your brake calibers ?

I just want my car running right, I'll focus on cosmetics later
Old 07-27-17, 03:24 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Clean looking ES. Curious to find out what your issue is. Good luck.
Old 07-27-17, 05:16 PM
xoarz
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

dang.. you're not tlhv on instagram? i guess he sold his car and moved on to something else..
I do have a couple comments though.. those are not 01 es300 hid headlights, those are 98 halogen headlights.
also, do you know if he made those window visors or what car it's off of? it looks so similar to the jdm window visors.
And if your injen intake is anything like the one i used to have on my car, the pcv is right in front of the MAF which could soak it in oil. Try making a catch can to catch the oil coming from the pcv or replacing the intake with another one.
Old 07-27-17, 08:26 PM
98Es300Izz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xoarz
dang.. you're not tlhv on instagram? i guess he sold his car and moved on to something else..
I do have a couple comments though.. those are not 01 es300 hid headlights, those are 98 halogen headlights.
also, do you know if he made those window visors or what car it's off of? it looks so similar to the jdm window visors.
And if your injen intake is anything like the one i used to have on my car, the pcv is right in front of the MAF which could soak it in oil. Try making a catch can to catch the oil coming from the pcv or replacing the intake with another one.
I bought it off of him, I'm pretty much going off of what he says, he put in a lot of work he also did mention installing a catch can
Old 07-28-17, 02:56 PM
xoarz
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It sounds like you have the older design of the injen intake which spits oil onto the MAF.
Bought a project, it's turning into something bigger-img_0108.jpg.jpeg
in the updated injen intake (above) you can see that the MAF is before the pcv hose instead of after. i'm no expert, but i don't think a MAF is meant to be exposed to anything but the air inside the intake.
So your car has the resonator and muffler deleted? Do you have a sound clip? I'd like to hear how it sounds compared to my setup which I hate
after you fix the problems with your car are you planning on having fun with it? Hardly anyone modifies these cars, i'm getting lonely lol
Do you rub with the g35 wheels on? like if you make U turns, go over bumps ect? btw, it doesn't look like your coilovers are maxed out yet (hint hint)

Last edited by xoarz; 07-28-17 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-29-17, 12:00 AM
ALISC400
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Es300Izz
Haha thanks man I'm only 17 and I worked pretty hard for the car but anyways, the oil is everywhere, exhaust, intake, when I drive it kind of feels like it needs to clear it's throat like something is making it not hit its full potential,but after a while it runs decent, it is straight piped except the cat is there with an injen intake, sometimes the check engine light flashes and that indicates the misfire and too much gas is burning but like I said maybe it's confusing it with the oil who knows..
Well if you have a jack OR access to a jack, I would inspect the entire line from the intake to the exhaust and locate a leak. It could be from faulty seals all the way to perhaps a crack or tiny hole forcing the leak?

Perhaps something could be blocked (old oil? or something of the sort) but without raising the car and taking a look, it would be hard to say. For me, my issue... I had a tiny leak from the seals under the mounts. It wasn't spewing oil but I could notice a performance drop and some stalling time to time. I also had a something stuck within the intake and a few rips on the air intake line (the rubber boot part?) which I replaced later.

So far I only have misfiring issues but that would require much more work. Jack stands or just raising your car to inspect would tell you a lot more, hope this helps!!!