ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Wheel bearing DIY anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-17, 01:29 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts
Default Wheel bearing DIY anywhere?

I have had some increasing front shimmy at specific speeds and on braking. I've lifted it and tested and it appears to be a loose wheel bearing on one side, possibly loose outer tie rod end on the other. Lower ball joints seem rock solid despite 275k miles.I want to tackle the wheel bearing first - partly to neck things down and also because I can get some quality ones (hub/bearing assembly) locally tomorrow and get on top of this. I have all the necessary tools and assistance available. (Have rebuilt a few 4wd hubs and some AWD hub in the past, have a separator for the joints, press for the bearing, retired ex-machinist parent with other great tools for extra eyes and hands. )

Anyone have advice or a good how-to that is car-specific? Looking at the build diagrams, this is a slightly different animal than the RWD and AWD hubs I've torn apart In the past.

Last edited by Oro; 07-03-17 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-03-17, 02:51 AM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro
I have had some increasing front shimmy at specific speeds and on braking. I've lifted it and tested and it appears to be a loose wheel bearing on one side, possibly loose outer tie rod end on the other. Lower ball joints seem rock solid despite 275k miles.I want to tackle the wheel bearing first - partly to neck things down and also because I can get some quality ones (hub/bearing assembly) locally tomorrow and get on top of this. I have all the necessary tools and assistance available. (Have rebuilt a few 4wd hubs and some AWD hub in the past, have a separator for the joints, press for the bearing, retired ex-machinist parent with other great tools for extra eyes and hands. )

Anyone have advice or a good how-to that is car-specific? Looking at the build diagrams, this is a slightly different animal than the RWD and AWD hubs I've torn apart In the past.

I'm not sure about the 4ES specifically, but I would assume that it's very similar to the gen5 Camry. hardtop did an excellent write-up here: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...nt-w-pics.html

...and this link is very handy if you are not getting the bearing and hub done with a hydraulic press, but rather choose to do it yourself with a cheap Amazon or eBay FWD bearing kit: https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/d...ng-replacement

My word of warning: whatever the axleaddict article says, don't use an impact wrench to drive the wheel bearing in. I can't say for sure that's what was the problem, but I replaced bearings and hubs on a family member's '95 Camry with two Raybestos kits that I drove in using my electric impact. I stopped very quickly after they weren't going in anymore, but they both failed on the first test drive (100 mile round trip, failed at 75 miles). Replaced them both with Timken kits (was the OEM bearing inside a Timken box), and that time drove them in with an extending 1/2" ratchet. Has been working great for 20k.

Like I said, I can't blame the impact conclusively because what I see is that Raybestos' parts quality has been going downhill, but I wouldn't take the chance. HTH

EDIT: Read back, missed that you have a press. Never mind about the FWD bearing toolkit

Last edited by nsghtbrwry; 07-03-17 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-04-17, 01:03 PM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Try this video.
Just did a front bearing on my Toyota Highlander. I'm pretty sure it's almost exactly the same for my ES300.
Old 07-04-17, 09:35 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Thanks, that was helpfuly. The TN one was very thorough. I did this and it was relatively uneventful. The car is VERY smooth now, it was making no noise and I had did not appreciate what was going on for too long.

I am unclear why he is scribing the arm for the two strut bolts; mine is not in any way adjustable - perhaps some are. Rigging a support to hold the assembly square in the press to get the hub assembly and then bearing out was a real chore. It took everything the press (12 ton) had to give to get the bearing out; realy in there firmly. Interesting in the video he said at the shop the 10 ton couldn't do it. I didn't see the video link before I did the job; it would have saved me a little time as it was unclear to me at first to press the axle spindle OUT, then the whole bearing inward. That was, as usualy from him, a nice video.

Last edited by Oro; 07-04-17 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-05-17, 08:23 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by tomf
Try this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NbcVKxhlTA
Just did a front bearing on my Toyota Highlander. I'm pretty sure it's almost exactly the same for my ES300.
Thanks for posting my video. This was done on my dad's Toyota Sienna, which is the same for almost all FWD based Toyota vehicles.

Originally Posted by Oro
Thanks, that was helpfuly. The TN one was very thorough. I did this and it was relatively uneventful. The car is VERY smooth now, it was making no noise and I had did not appreciate what was going on for too long.

I am unclear why he is scribing the arm for the two strut bolts; mine is not in any way adjustable - perhaps some are. Rigging a support to hold the assembly square in the press to get the hub assembly and then bearing out was a real chore. It took everything the press (12 ton) had to give to get the bearing out; realy in there firmly. Interesting in the video he said at the shop the 10 ton couldn't do it. I didn't see the video link before I did the job; it would have saved me a little time as it was unclear to me at first to press the axle spindle OUT, then the whole bearing inward. That was, as usualy from him, a nice video.
The strut bolts aren't adjustable, unless you put camber bolts in them, so no need.
You're right, getting the knuckle properly mounted in the press is a chore because of its weird shape.
We had to take the knuckle to the neighbor's shop to use a 20 ton press to get it out. The 10 ton didn't do it, even after heating it up really hot with the torch.
Old 07-07-17, 02:52 PM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
You're right, getting the knuckle properly mounted in the press is a chore because of its weird shape.
We had to take the knuckle to the neighbor's shop to use a 20 ton press to get it out. The 10 ton didn't do it, even after heating it up really hot with the torch.
I got it done with a 12 ton press. If you want some tips on pressing without destroying the bearing or knuckle watch this video. This guy is thorough.

BTW your video is terrific. Just a little lacking on using the press.