ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Did the cassette aux hack. Loud static and it turns my phone off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-17, 02:58 PM
fezoctavio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the cassette aux hack. Loud static and it turns my phone off.

So i've been lurking on the forums for a while and saw how to solder an aux cord to your cassette deck.
Soldered the left and right wires to the left and right terminals on the circuit board.

Everything went great, aside from the fact that sometimes my phone will turn off right after the speakers make a VERY loud static noise. Also if my volume is up too much the music sounds distorted, which leaves me to just listen to great quality music very quietly. dunno if that's related.

To describe the sound, the best analogy i can come up with is how people test speakers by touching the wires to a battery. You hear static, the speaker is good. if not, its bad. But it's that kind of static.

I have tried grounding it in different places and got the best result by grounding it to the metal case of the deck. But still, it turns my phone off rarely, and makes the loud static noise.
Note: the static noise can be present without the phone shutting off sometimes and only in between songs or if no music is playing.
I also hear a different static when i charge my phone and play music, but it doesn't bother me.

Anyone ever experienced this also? or know if i did anything wrong?
I have a 1997 es300 everything stock.
Old 05-28-17, 10:32 AM
fezoctavio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fixed it. I just reverted back to using the cassette adapter. Removed the solder and it sounded fine. (before even plugging the cassette wires back in it sounded static-y.).

So i'm guessing my solder points might have been touching each other or not covering the ground properly. (i scratched a ground contact area on the circuit board)

I'll never know what truly happened, but i'm not doing this again. maybe go with an aftermarket strereo :P
Old 05-28-17, 10:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,702 Likes on 2,287 Posts

Originally Posted by fezoctavio
maybe go with an aftermarket strereo :P
The stock stereo is hard to give up because it blends nicely with the rest of the interior. But a modern unit with USB and Bluetooth is so so nice to have.
The following users liked this post:
sNotM3 (12-23-22)
Old 05-29-17, 12:11 PM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I use one of these:
Amazon Amazon

...in the secondary 12V outlet in the armrest storage so it's hidden . Chose that one because it also reads out accessory electrical system voltage when it turns on, a quick glance saves me having to bust out the DMM
Old 06-04-17, 11:43 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

The cassette naturally overrides the FM signal in the radio. So your phone must have enough "power" to over ride the signal, or it'll have static, especially between songs.

This is HIGHLY dependent on the phone and phone software you are using. I did the cassette hack on my Solara. With my Samsung Galaxy S1, it worked perfectly, no static, and it can switch tracks normally. With my Galaxy S5, I got a lot of static, especially the first time after restarting the phone, and was not able to switch tracks. Flashing a new ROM helped a lot, but the SGS 1 was much better.

Your best bet would be to go through the CD player lines and play a blank CD.