ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES330 clattering noise in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 06:46 PM
Pikesperk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES330 clattering noise in reverse

Just bought a used 2005 ES 330 with 162k miles. Now that I have it home, registered etc, there is a clattering noise that starts as soon as it's put in reverse. Everything works ok, no slippage lurching etc. Once the car is warmed up the noise disappears. The transmission fluid looks good and doesn't smell burnt or discolored. Has anyone had this happen to them and what was the diagnosis?
Old 05-19-17, 08:36 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

That's a troubling indication and needs to be diagnosed. One person's "clatter" is a another person's "grumble," so without actually hearing it in person, it's going to be a guess as to what is going on. A known issue with these is that the 3-point powertrain mounting system is inadequate long-term and mounts fail, IME the first one is the one under the transmission side. But that usually doesn't create a "clatter." Other causes could be a worn/broken thrust washer or shim, or sticking in the valve body. Somebody who understands transmissions needs to look at it.

To check the transmission fill, you need to have the car both running and AFTER shifting slowly through all gear. While checking, make multiple checks as fluid splash makes reading the stick difficult. Was it checked this way? When was the fluid last changed? If unknown, I would add some Transtune to the fluid, drive it a few days. Then drop the pan, check the screen (possibly for washer parts), clean out the pan, replace and refill. This is how to get new fluid into it:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...lush-pics.html

This procedure, can help make a transmission on a used car last a very, very long time. After that, just do a simple drain/fill every 30k.
The following users liked this post:
Pikesperk (05-22-17)
Old 05-22-17, 10:25 AM
Pikesperk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Oro! The trans fluid was changed 20k miles ago from a place called Grease Monkey in Denver. When I checked the level after your post the level didn't even register on the dip stick. I had it topped off and sure enough the sound has drastically changed. Now all I hear is a buzzing sound for about 4 seconds then the sound completely stops. This is only when cold. There's no indication of a problem as far as delivering power to the wheels, i.e. jerking, slippage etc. Once the transmission is warmed up it makes no sound. I just hope running on a low level of fluid didn't damage the transmission.

I think I will try the Transtune procedure you recommended as a next step. Thanks again for the input!
Old 05-22-17, 10:48 AM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

To confirm- Check the ATF level when hot with the engine running (in park).