ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Hesitation/Stumble on kickdown @ WOT

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-17, 07:25 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Hesitation/Stumble on kickdown @ WOT

Not sure whats up with the Lexus, but its not acting right. Lately its been "stumbling" which i attributed to the quirky drive-by-wire programming initially, until today.

today, i went to pass someone doing 55 in a 70 on a back country (2-lane) rural highway. I had to put the gas all the way down because a car popped over the hill in the lane i was using to pass, about a mile ahead of me. I punched it, trans shifted down (rather lazily, its not a performance car after all) to 3rd, and all of a sudden it felt like the car was gonna jolt me out of it. A violent shudder as i hit 100%throttle that started right after the downshift. It felt like the engine was starving for fuel. It had a half tank. It wasnt a slip of the trans, it was a hesitation of some sort, either electrical (ignition), lack of air (not likely) or lack of fuel.

im not sure which. There were no lights on the dash that came on, and no codes stored. Thoughts?

02 ES300, 156k miles, dealer maintained since new.
Old 05-13-17, 07:40 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I know you know your stuff so I feel dumb suggesting it, but possibly plugs? It's a service a lot of people skip over, but at 156k they're way past due with a 120k interval. I felt a huge difference when I changed mine at 103k, but it never completely missed like you are describing
Old 05-13-17, 10:42 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Very basic, but how high did it rev? Were you watching?

I recently had a similar experience. On an uphill a car pulled in front of me and I punched it to the floor and swerved (2002, same car as yours) and it revved so fast after downshifting I hit the redline and ECM cut-off so fast I was stunned (since the car is rarely over 3200rpm in normal use). In the right conditions, a downshift and transition into the VVTi sweet zone can take you to that limit shockingly fast.

OTOH, on a second reading, I see you are saying this is a chronic stumbling issue, then possibly expect a coil fault code soon. Sounds like you have a marginal coil that is only intermittently failing under heat/stress. TX heat, the age and mileage are about right for that. I had a slowly failing coil in a Land Cruiser that did this. I have had one coil fail in the 2002 ES in 273k miles and it stumbled a few times w/no code before it threw one. If you cut a bad coil open, you can easily see how heat or stress exacerbate it, and it can act normal at 98% of driving conditions.

The factory plugs, if still in it, should actually still be good barring a manufacturing defect. If still original, they are overdue, but these are incredible plugs and odds on, are still working OK. Sounds like you would know this.

Aside, where did you earn your Purple Heart?

Last edited by Oro; 05-13-17 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-14-17, 02:03 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Oro
Very basic, but how high did it rev? Were you watching?

I recently had a similar experience. On an uphill a car pulled in front of me and I punched it to the floor and swerved (2002, same car as yours) and it revved so fast after downshifting I hit the redline and ECM cut-off so fast I was stunned (since the car is rarely over 3200rpm in normal use). In the right conditions, a downshift and transition into the VVTi sweet zone can take you to that limit shockingly fast.

OTOH, on a second reading, I see you are saying this is a chronic stumbling issue, then possibly expect a coil fault code soon. Sounds like you have a marginal coil that is only intermittently failing under heat/stress. TX heat, the age and mileage are about right for that. I had a slowly failing coil in a Land Cruiser that did this. I have had one coil fail in the 2002 ES in 273k miles and it stumbled a few times w/no code before it threw one. If you cut a bad coil open, you can easily see how heat or stress exacerbate it, and it can act normal at 98% of driving conditions.

The factory plugs, if still in it, should actually still be good barring a manufacturing defect. If still original, they are overdue, but these are incredible plugs and odds on, are still working OK. Sounds like you would know this.

Aside, where did you earn your Purple Heart?
Thank you for the input. I was, in fact watching the revs. It went all the way to redline, which is where the fault occured. I was also on an uphill the first time. This is what i was thinking as well. The coils havent ever been changed so maybe i will take a look. I was just hoping it wasnt transmission related, and you have put my fears at ease a little. It would seem its likely ignition or fuel related, so I may just throw a set of plugs and coils at it for giggles. The "chronic" part of this issue may just be the quirky DBW throttle and not related. I have a 5 hour trip to my cruise terminal tomorrow (going to the carribean!) so if its gonna throw a code thats likely to be the time. These V6's are pretty torque-y so when it downshifted on the pass it went to redline quick.

PH Was earned in an IED strike in Afghanistan.
Originally Posted by 02SDGS
I know you know your stuff so I feel dumb suggesting it, but possibly plugs? It's a service a lot of people skip over, but at 156k they're way past due with a 120k interval. I felt a huge difference when I changed mine at 103k, but it never completely missed like you are describing
Plugs were changed at 124k.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 05-14-17 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-16-17, 05:36 PM
Brandon593
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2003 ES with almost 96k miles. I've had a similar experience. The drive-by-wire transmission has a mind of its own. It's almost like the car gets mad at you for driving it aggressively. I don't think anything it wrong - the transmission just has "senior moments" every now and then.
Old 05-16-17, 09:38 PM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I know some of the gen5/6/7 Camry guys use something like Weapon-R's iThrottle (throttle controller) to get rid of the issues with the DBW systems. Would this be something you would be willing to try?

From what I read they get slightly better fuel economy, too, in addition to the new, excellent throttle response.
Old 05-21-17, 03:28 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by nsghtbrwry
I know some of the gen5/6/7 Camry guys use something like Weapon-R's iThrottle (throttle controller) to get rid of the issues with the DBW systems. Would this be something you would be willing to try?

From what I read they get slightly better fuel economy, too, in addition to the new, excellent throttle response.
i would try it if i thought for a second it would work. But im pretty sure Camrys ecu's are mapped differently and the transmissions are programmed for softer shifts in the ES. So im not sure it would work.
Old 06-03-17, 07:22 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

So I pinned this down today. I thought I would report back.

Today the car stalled on me. So I had enough. I popped the hood and there was a vacuum line that had come disconnected due to a broken fitting. So I bought some vacuum hose and some t-fittings and replaced them. All seems to be well now. Also seafoamed the car. Next week I will change the oil, not that any of that is related. But if this returns in any way, I will pop my head back in here.
Old 06-04-17, 12:53 AM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Nice. Where was the vacuum line from?
Old 06-04-17, 11:47 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by nsghtbrwry
Nice. Where was the vacuum line from?
Its probably that fragile one right on top in front of the airbox that has a tendancy to break.
Old 06-04-17, 03:19 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Its probably that fragile one right on top in front of the airbox that has a tendancy to break.
yes, it goes to some solenoid and then down towards the transaxle.
Old 06-04-17, 10:54 PM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Ah. I'll keep this in mind if I ever get a gen4.