ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Radiator fan does not work

Old 04-21-17, 07:40 PM
SteveCordo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan does not work

Both of my fans stopped working and the heat blew both my top and bottom radiator coolant hoses. The hoses were easy to replace but after testing both fans my driver side fan worked, only when I bypassed the OEM connection. the passenger fan assy does not work at all.

My question is what could be the problem with the connection of the driver side fan and how in the hell do I order a passenger side fan? I noticed its a different size fan housing than the driver side fan and when I look up the fan assy online I get mixed results.

Any help would be great guys, thanks.
Old 04-22-17, 12:17 PM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCordo
Both of my fans stopped working and the heat blew both my top and bottom radiator coolant hoses. The hoses were easy to replace but after testing both fans my driver side fan worked, only when I bypassed the OEM connection. the passenger fan assy does not work at all.

My question is what could be the problem with the connection of the driver side fan and how in the hell do I order a passenger side fan? I noticed its a different size fan housing than the driver side fan and when I look up the fan assy online I get mixed results.

Any help would be great guys, thanks.
Rare for the fans to go out, so I would grab the passenger one from a Pick-n-pull. Very easy to remove, so you'll be in and out within several minutes.

If the fans work when you apply voltage directly, I would suspect a bad thermo fan switch. It's located at the bottom passenger side of the radiator (19mm socket to get it out). It has a detachable harness that snakes all the way across the bottom of the radiator and up the driver's side...you will see two connections mounted on the radiator driver side: one is for the driver side fan, the other is for the thermo fan switch.

The switch is normally-closed, and opens when the coolant temp is high enough. As such, you can test if it's working by disconnecting it: if the fans go on, you have a bad switch. If they don't, bad fans or power delivery problem.