ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Annoying blinker

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-03, 11:15 AM
snboarder8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying blinker

I posted about this problem b4, but I didn't get an answer. Anyway, I have some more information concerning my problem. My right front blinker blinks fast, bout twice the speed as the left. But the light still works, I replaced the bulb too, and it still blinks fast. When the lights are off, the right blinks about twice the speed of the left. When the lights are on, the right blinks really fast, like 3 times the speed. Also, the blinker if very dim. Does anyone have any ideas? It's not the bulb, what else could it be? Please help, it's drivin me insane!
Old 06-01-03, 12:17 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You replaced both front and back bulbs and checked for a clean, strong connection? If that didn't work, then there's probably some relays and switches in there that need to be looked at, I'm not familiar with any of that. Hope you get it taken care of, that'd drive me crazy after a while.
Old 06-01-03, 07:18 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

even though the bulb fits and it lights up, are you absolutely sure it is the light that belongs there (wattage wise). Also, look at all bulbs including side lights, tail lights and parking lights. One of there may be the cause.

steviej
Old 06-01-03, 07:23 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Have you checked the flasher? Can't be too expensive to replace to see if that is the problem.
Old 06-01-03, 07:29 PM
snboarder8
Driver

i know the bulb is correct, because i replaced both the left and right bulbs at the same time with the same bulb, and the right still blinks fast. i haven't got around to the rear bulbs, but i see no point because the rear right lights up fully, not dim at all. the dealer said the contacts were corroded, but they look perfectly fine to me. lexrx, what do u mean by checking the flasher? i noticed that both the bulb holder and the power connector can be taken out, can one of those be the problem? if so, how much are those parts? thanx
Old 06-01-03, 08:37 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

The flasher is what is used to regulate the blinker. This would be where I would check next since you have already checked the bulbs. The flasher is also what makes the tick-tock sound when your blinker is on; that should make it easier for you to locate it. They are usually located on the fuse box or somewhere under the dash.

Below is an example of what a flasher can look like, the size and color varies. Auto Zone carries a flasher for a 1992 ES300 for $9.99

--------------------------------------------------------------
TRIDON FLASHER for a 1992 LEXUS ES300

Unit Price: $9.99
Core Value*: $0.00
Part No.: EP35-C
Weight: 0.05 lbs.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Images  

Last edited by LexRX; 06-01-03 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-01-03, 08:52 PM
snboarder8
Driver

great, thanx, i'll check that next. does anyone know exactly where i can find this device? i'll look where u described lex, thanx for also givin info on where to get a new one!
Old 06-01-03, 09:55 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

You're welcome, snboarder8, I hope that works for you. Let us know if that fixes it.
Old 06-01-03, 11:33 PM
snboarder8
Driver

i can't seem to find the flasher unit described by lex. does anyone with a 92-96 know where this part is located? i went by the sound and it led me to the passenger kickbox, but i couldn't find it in the mess of wires. please help, i feel i'm on the right track for solving this problem!
Old 06-02-03, 12:00 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Here is the only bit of information I was able to find out about a possible flasher location. I got the information from http://class.heraldnet.com/undertheh...dex.cfm?id=163

It's worth a look.

Flasher Unit location on Camry
Q: Where is the flasher unit on my 1994 Toyota Camry?

A: Whether your 1994 Toyota Camry has a 2.2L or a 3.0L engine the turn signal flasher is neatly located on fuse/relay block #6, located above the glove box. Glove box removal will be required to gain access.
Old 06-02-03, 01:29 PM
wgday
Driver School Candidate

I had exactly the same problem on my 2000 ES 300. The successful solution was to remove the bulb and spray both the socket and bulb base with contact cleaner. The high resistance had been changing the flashing rate controlled by the flasher described in prior threads. Removing this resistance was successful in restoring the normal cycle rate.
Old 06-02-03, 03:26 PM
snboarder8
Driver

contact cleaner? where would i purchase that?
Old 06-02-03, 05:00 PM
snboarder8
Driver

i figured out what the problem is!!! it's the socket that holds the bulb, same as wgday. i figured it out by exchangin the holder of the left headlamp with the holder in the right. but the only thing is i'm not sure about which solution i should use to clean the contacts. does anyone recommend a certain type? i don't know of many, if not any solutions, WD40?? what works best and won't cause harm? if cleaning them doesn't work, i talked to the parts certain at the dealership and it costs $13. thanx for ur help everyone!!
Old 06-02-03, 07:05 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a product called, ProGold-G5(Part#G5S-6) for my electronic equipment. It's an excellent product but it's pretty expensive.$18.95 for a half ounce in a pressure can. You could probably find a contact cleaner which would be cheaper at Radio Shack.

Alan
Old 06-03-03, 06:10 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by snboarder8
i figured out what the problem is!!! it's the socket that holds the bulb, same as wgday. i figured it out by exchangin the holder of the left headlamp with the holder in the right. but the only thing is i'm not sure about which solution i should use to clean the contacts. does anyone recommend a certain type? i don't know of many, if not any solutions, WD40?? what works best and won't cause harm? if cleaning them doesn't work, i talked to the parts certain at the dealership and it costs $13. thanx for ur help everyone!!
I was just about to post that answer up... if the bulb is not the problem, then it's most likely the lamp assembly that holds the bulb. I wouldn't use WD-40 to clean the contacts of the socket/bulb. Go to an auto parts store and inquire on the best cleaning solution for the contacts; they should have something like that available. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Annoying blinker