ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Found a deal on Struts on RockAuto.com!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 01:49 PM
lexus94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my rear end is hanging down like really low and knocks on corners. I dont think i could possibly make it worse by buying a cheap repalcement right? I just hate that high in the front low in the back look and its really noisy. Any input would help.

Other than that the car rides really well, bought it about 2 months ago. Really enjoy it, Is there anything i should check before i order the strut assembly that may need changing in the rear end at the same time?
Old 03-20-17, 03:49 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I would change them Lexus94. They are cheap enough and easy enough to change that it doesn't make sense not to IMO.

I actually made my decision and ordered these:

Amazon Amazon

Based on reviews on other boards, specifically toyotanation, where Camry and Avalon owners alike have praised them. Here is one such thread. So we will give these a shot. Worst case scenario, I do my own work, so I am only out a few hours of my time (I am retired) if I have to pull them out for some reason. As I said I will keep the OEM's for a while so that if I either don't like the ride, or I have a problem, I can return them.
Old 03-20-17, 05:11 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I would change them Lexus94. They are cheap enough and easy enough to change that it doesn't make sense not to IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Axle-...02+Lexus+ES300

Based on reviews on other boards, specifically toyotanation, where Camry and Avalon owners alike have praised them. Here is one such thread. So we will give these a shot. Worst case scenario, I do my own work, so I am only out a few hours of my time (I am retired) if I have to pull them out for some reason. As I said I will keep the OEM's for a while so that if I either don't like the ride, or I have a problem, I can return them.
Keep us posted. I've been curious about Detroit Axle quick struts for awhile.
Old 04-15-17, 12:45 AM
nikovdh
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Axle-Complete-Assembly-2002-2003/dp/B019WOW55W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490049436&sr=8-1&keywords=detroit+axle+strut+assembly+2002+Lexus+ES300

Ever get those Detroits on? Also, since I have a 1999 ES300.. I'd have to go for these 4 if I wanted to try it.

https://detroitaxle.com/?s=Part%20Finder&pfs=true&filters%5Bvehicle_year%5D=1999&filters%5Bvehicle_make%5D=Lexus&filters%5Bvehicle_model%5D=ES300&filters%5Bpart_type%5D=Suspension+Strut+and+Coil+Spring+Assembly
Edit:
Actually found all 4 as a package deal.. doesn't say year on product name, but the comments and the "amazon fit" seem to match:

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by nikovdh; 04-15-17 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-24-17, 12:21 AM
nikovdh
Rookie

I'm going to spend more and go for the KYB struts + OEM components mix. If I'm spending money... I want it right.
Old 04-24-17, 08:16 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by nikovdh
Ever get those Detroits on? Also, since I have a 1999 ES300.. I'd have to go for these 4 if I wanted to try it.

https://detroitaxle.com/?s=Part%20Finder&pfs=true&filters%5Bvehicle_year%5D=1999&filters%5Bvehicle_make%5D=Lexus&filters%5Bvehicle_model%5D=ES300&filters%5Bpart_type%5D=Suspension+Strut+and+Coil+Spring+Assembly
Edit:
Actually found all 4 as a package deal.. doesn't say year on product name, but the comments and the "amazon fit" seem to match:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
I'm going to spend more and go for the KYB struts + OEM components mix. If I'm spending money... I want it right.
I am sorry, I had not seen this thread and I forgot to update it. The struts have been on my car now for about 3 weeks? Maybe? It rides soooo much better. They seem to be holding up nicely.
Old 04-24-17, 09:06 PM
nikovdh
Rookie

I am sorry, I had not seen this thread and I forgot to update it. The struts have been on my car now for about 3 weeks? Maybe? It rides soooo much better. They seem to be holding up nicely.
Nice! I just spent 700$ for KYB and OEM replacement components. My bank account is crying, but I think I'll be happy once I get them in.
I hope it doesn't prove to be too difficult. I'm OK with time consuming though.
That's great that such inexpensive strut units are working well. Hopefully it lasts a good time!
Old 04-25-17, 03:21 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Time will tell but they are made in the USA not overseas, so i would like to think they are good. But we all know how that is for the price though, even if i gotta swap em every 2 years, its no big deal really. Besides, in 2 years i drive around 110k miles.
Old 04-25-17, 04:16 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

In terms of ride height, is it the same as stock? I remember it used to be that some aftermarket struts caused the ride heigh to be raised.
Old 04-25-17, 10:44 PM
nikovdh
Rookie

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
In terms of ride height, is it the same as stock? I remember it used to be that some aftermarket struts caused the ride heigh to be raised.
This is what made me decide to not try some inexpensive aftermarket. I saw a picture of the ride height increase on a Camry (it only increased it in the rear) and it wasn't pretty.
Old 04-28-17, 05:42 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
This is what made me decide to not try some inexpensive aftermarket. I saw a picture of the ride height increase on a Camry (it only increased it in the rear) and it wasn't pretty.
There was no discernable difference that I could see. maybe a quarter inch? If that, and that could simply be attributed to worn out springs on the old units. I can take a pic later this evening, wife is at work with the car at the moment.
Old 04-28-17, 08:34 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Did you get at least your front end aligned? If not you will get some uneven tire wear very quickly.
Old 05-01-17, 07:47 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Oro
Did you get at least your front end aligned? If not you will get some uneven tire wear very quickly.
Of course! That's auto-shop 101 stuff.
Old 05-08-17, 10:26 AM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey guys, I just read this post on TN: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...l#post12454690

...Detroit Axle struts = rebranded Monroes, what do you guys think?
Old 05-08-17, 09:21 PM
netlander
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replaced both my rear struts with KYB + sleeves for $550 total installed. The ride is not as smooth on even paved road, but I don't feel the potholes and bumps as much either. Original were electronic sensor. Cut off the electronic wires, without any dashboard warning light. Overall I am satisfied. Car is over 200k miles and I carry 200 pounds cargo often, so my original struts are blown.

Last edited by netlander; 05-08-17 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Found a deal on Struts on RockAuto.com!