ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-1st-to-4th-gen-1990-2006-179/)
-   -   es300 Crank Pulley (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-1st-to-4th-gen-1990-2006/845765-es300-crank-pulley.html)

Hadley 01-29-17 06:56 PM

es300 Crank Pulley

I just inherited a 1999 es300 that has thrown both the alternator and PS belts and was tying to install new ones when I noticed the crank pulley is about 5/8 " out from where it should be. The other pulleys are too far out of alignment to even reinstall new belts. I read in the forum about various issues regarding removal and replacement and read about pulley/harmonic balancer easing out of position, so I put an impact wrench on it and it wouldn't budge. It appears some sketchy mechanic has had his hands on this problem and I have no idea what was done; wrong HD or pulley? Without the history I'm operating blind here. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

LeX2K 01-29-17 08:20 PM

You'll obviously have to remove the pulley to examine it and the crankshaft. Are you saying the crank bolt won't come loose?

crwys 01-29-17 08:50 PM

I just did a timing belt and water pump change on my 99. That bolt you are talking about was reallllllly hard for me to get off as well. Impact did not work. I went with a huge breaker bar then added a even bigger pipe to it and that cracked it loose.

Oh yea. Then I dropped the breaker bar shortly after and it broke lol. Poor thing. Bought it from oreillys for about $30 I think a while ago. Was good quality I'm sure, I just think someone over tightened that bolt or it was stuck.

Hadley 01-30-17 09:29 AM

es300 crank pulley

Thanks for the replies. I am aware that I will need to remove and reinstall the pulley. I was just wondering if anyone had experienced the pulley/HB easing out from its fully installed position. I also think that someone lacking in competence may have futzed with it. Also, It appears that a pretty hefty impact wrench is required to get that thing off!

LeX2K 01-30-17 10:11 AM

I've never seen a crank pulley work its way out even if the bolt was loose.

ES300NZ 01-31-17 02:58 AM

I know everyone says it's super hard to get off, but one I did, I had no issues.

I bought a harmonic balancer remover, and got out my huge extendable pipe, and the nut was easily removed with a normal power bar, and the balancer simple pulled off easily with hands and no effort.

GSteg 01-31-17 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hadley (Post 9754006)
Without the history I'm operating blind here. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

What kind of impact gun do you have?

808mcv20l 02-07-17 04:00 PM

I used a Milwaukee 2763 1/2" impact gun to get it off. that gun is rated for almost 1000 ft lb loosening torque.

No combination of breaker bars cheater pipes could get it off, it was never touched since factory. 16+ years.

If that doesn't take it off, only a pneumatic monster will.

ES300NZ 02-07-17 04:24 PM

if that doesn't take it off you have to use a oxy/accet gas torch to heat it up.

speedkar9 02-07-17 07:36 PM

The harmonic balancer is quite like a large bushing, there's some rubber inside that offer some damping. Sometimes that can wear out and cause the pulley to wobble or become loose. In fact, the 4th gen ES had a recall for this issue.

To get the crank bolt off, try the bump-start method. Put your breaker bar on it, wedge it under the control arm, and blip the starter.