ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Stabilizer Bar Stoppers

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-16, 04:49 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Stabilizer Bar Stoppers

I'm in the process of restoring my original sway bars back to a factory condition. I was able to remove all the rust, hit em with primer, and then finish with Top Coat from POR15. The finish came out great, the only problem is that I did not remove the rubber stoppers that are held down with special clamps. It's not a part you can easily find online, so I was hesitant to remove them. Now that I've gone this far in the restoration, I would hate to see my paint finish deteriorate due to little spots of rust under the stoppers.

Is there a tool out there that can help me reclamp these pieces after taking them off? Can I use the same clamps they use for CV Boots? Please help.

Stabilizer Bar Stoppers-photo644.jpg
Old 11-15-16, 06:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,687 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Spray some Fluid Film between the rubber and sway bar, call it a day.
Old 11-16-16, 03:03 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Spray some Fluid Film between the rubber and sway bar, call it a day.
Wow I've never heard of Fluid Film before. Just read some reviews on Amazon, stuff must be magical. I gotta try it out.

Do they make something like that to undercoat the whole car?
Old 11-16-16, 05:11 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Wow I've never heard of Fluid Film before. Just read some reviews on Amazon, stuff must be magical. I gotta try it out.

Do they make something like that to undercoat the whole car?
Yep, amazon sells a 1gal kit. But, you can just get an aerosol version too [my mech. buddy uses this for door hinges and things like that, battery terminals, etc]

You can do whatever with it, but an oil coating or FF is the same thing, different properties, same end result.
For undercoating get whatever is cheapest IMO... both will do the same.
Old 11-16-16, 07:29 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Those are the same clamps they use for inner tie rod and CV boots. You can replace them with heavy duty zip ties.

Old 11-16-16, 07:42 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the inner tierod bellows used oetiker clamps?

on my sister's 98 camry when I replaced the inner tierods the new bellows came with new oetiker clamps.

I had to buy a set of clamp pliers on amazon for 10 bucks to crimp them.
Old 11-16-16, 08:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

The more I use Fluid Film the more I like it a major plus is it doesn't damage rubber or plastic and doesn't dry out. No need to spray down the entire underside of the car just near the outside where the salt and water tend to go. I find it lasts a year or more depending on location downside is it will attract some dirt and the stuff is very difficult to completely wash off. A problem if you ever want to spray some type of rubberized undercoating or need to do some painting.
Old 11-16-16, 10:44 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Those are the same clamps they use for inner tie rod and CV boots. You can replace them with heavy duty zip ties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQdEMqg3ZdY
That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you speedkar9, I will go ahead and purchase that tool with the specialty clamps.

The more I use Fluid Film the more I like it a major plus is it doesn't damage rubber or plastic and doesn't dry out. No need to spray down the entire underside of the car just near the outside where the salt and water tend to go. I find it lasts a year or more depending on location downside is it will attract some dirt and the stuff is very difficult to completely wash off. A problem if you ever want to spray some type of rubberized undercoating or need to do some painting.
Thank you for introducing this product to me. It seems like it would be perfect for coating lawnmower decks and other misc. areas. I also appreciate that you listed the downsides to look out for. I will pick it up in the future.
Old 11-18-16, 08:44 AM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was also reading more about it. Thanks for the intro.
http://www.fluid-film.com/automotive-applications/
Penetrating on contact, it creates a fluid, self-healing barrier that is always active and will not chip or crack, protecting vehicle undercoating’s and exposed metals for extended periods of time. Safe for use on all metals, it will stop pitting in chrome, will not harm most paints or plastic, and has exceptional lubricating properties, penetrating to stop squeaks and provide lasting lubricity for all moving parts. Electrically non conductive, FLUID FILM has a high flash point and a thin, flexible composition, making it a perfect protectant for battery terminals and electrical connections.

Care should be taken around non oil resistant rubber goods. May cause swelling. Fluid Film may soften some vehicle undercoatings. This includes undercoating type paints.

While paying attention when to use, I am going to get this too. Many parts can use this film. For some rubber parts, will coat with silglyde.
Old 11-18-16, 10:25 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Care should be taken around non oil resistant rubber goods. May cause swelling.
That's good to know. I sprayed in an area that has the grommets for the power antenna and sunroof drains no harm to the rubber after several years. But that doesn't mean all rubber is safe from the sounds of it.