ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Looking to upgrade, worried about transmissions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-16, 05:25 PM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Looking to upgrade, worried about transmissions...

First off, I know I have a strange transmission in my 04 ES because it's part of those weird years where it shifted strangely and such. My issue is different. I came from a supercharged GM and I was used to being able to downshift and move quickly when needed. This ES is a MUCH better car, except when it comes to evasive maneuvers. There's next to nothing when it comes to pickup, and I have to manually downshift if I really need to make something happen.

Throttle response is mushy (compared to my other American cars) and she shifting is lazy. Car is well maintained, so it's not a "broken" problem.

My question is, are all Lexus going to feel this mushy on the throttle? Is there a model I can upgrade to that has a significantly more aggressive driving profile (throttle, shifting, etc.)? I would love a new GS, but I want to make sure I'm getting the responsiveness I need.

Owners please chime in! What's the best 4 door Lexus for me?
Old 09-23-16, 08:01 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpGent
First off, I know I have a strange transmission in my 04 ES because it's part of those weird years where it shifted strangely and such. My issue is different. I came from a supercharged GM and I was used to being able to downshift and move quickly when needed. This ES is a MUCH better car, except when it comes to evasive maneuvers. There's next to nothing when it comes to pickup, and I have to manually downshift if I really need to make something happen.

Throttle response is mushy (compared to my other American cars) and she shifting is lazy. Car is well maintained, so it's not a "broken" problem.

My question is, are all Lexus going to feel this mushy on the throttle? Is there a model I can upgrade to that has a significantly more aggressive driving profile (throttle, shifting, etc.)? I would love a new GS, but I want to make sure I'm getting the responsiveness I need.

Owners please chime in! What's the best 4 door Lexus for me?
Newer Lexus models come with Sport Mode switches which give you a more responsive transmission response. We used to have an 08 IS250 which came with a lazy gas pedal in standard mode, but woke right up in Sport mode.

Ever since Lexus switched to electronic throttle bodies in the early 2000's, this slow throttle response seems to have been programmed to aid with higher fuel economy.

I think a GS would fit you better.
Old 09-24-16, 12:28 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Just buy a GSF you know you want to
Old 09-25-16, 06:41 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Yup, the classic ES330 throttle and transmission lag. Its a well known issue with this generation ES.

If you drive it hard, the ECU may program itself to your more aggressive driving habits, but it will still be generally slow to react.

I prefer the old style drive by cable throttle with no lag.
Old 10-08-16, 03:48 AM
Solidhit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my wife an 04 with 70k miles on it and although the lag drives me crazy, it's my wife's car and she isn't bothered by it. She's happy so I'm happy but if it was my car I might have passed on it. My 07 Mazda CX7 has a 2.3 turbo and better response.