ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Epic fail for backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-16, 04:13 PM
Safetybob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epic fail for backup camera

Well last weekend I installed the Crux CUL-03 I got almost a year ago from Crutchfield. I had previously installed it on one of my Honda CR-V's but since the picture would not change, I never used it and got another camera instead. So this camera sat in a big box of camera stuff.

Got my Toyota cable to install on my factory Nav system and all works well there as in when I put the car in reverse, the nav unit does switch to a rear camera view, just with a blank, black picture. So this weekend I was "searching" for the backup lights tap that runs to the computer (no red with black stripe wire anywhere connected to the computer.....took them all of and inspected them to make sure). Was going to go for the dash board tap behind the instrument panel but one of the plastic screws does not want to back out (one does), so that was a no go. Next, let's go back to basics.....tap the ACTUAL back up light wire at the tail light. Looked at that, and it did not make sense at all.....Got the brake light (two filaments), got the yellow turn signal, and the other little one, looked to be a side marker light not a back up light although it must be. So I disconnect the pigtail going from the harness to the left tail lights and take the meter out and start looking for voltage. Got nothing and now, no back up lights at all now.

I suspect I may have blown them or injured the harness in the trunk some how, because I checked, going in reverse will make the mirrors go down, tell the stereo to look for a back up camera, and tell the rear sunshade to lower if up.

My last attempt was to tap the purple wire going to the rear sunshade switch since it seemed to have 12 volts as the car was started (or ignition on), Got my 12 volts going to camera and nothing.........next week I will bring my own 12 volt battery and use that to feed the camera and see if it is the camera or something else. Guess I need to get new back up light bulbs too and try to see if I did actually blow them or start the fun to figure out why the lights don't come on.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions welcome. Right now, I am tired after digging around the car today....

Bob E.