ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Garage Door Opener

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-16, 04:05 PM
sam3293
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Door Opener

I was in my girlfriends car the other day and saw she had the garage door opener option. I tried syncing the transmitter but the garage door won't open. I held the button till it blinked slow. Then I pushed the old remote button till the light blinked rapidly then I released. The garage still wouldn't open. Is it possible the transmitter in the car is bad?
Old 08-15-16, 04:07 PM
sam3293
Driver School Candidate

It is a 2002 es300
Old 08-15-16, 05:48 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna go on a limb and say you're doing it wrong.

Look up Homelink programming instructions.

I would reset it if I were you. you hold down the first and the 3 buttons, then program it according to the video.

you might need access to the garage opener itself if you have a rolling code.

see video
http://www.homelink.com/program/watchvideo
Old 08-17-16, 12:36 PM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

There is a separate procedure for the rolling code garage door openers
Old 08-05-18, 08:08 PM
alan311
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this for my Lexus ES 300, 2002 and this was for an entry gate for which I had been given a hand-held transmitter.
Warning, you will first have to erase all the 3 buttons. Here are the exact steps to program a button:
  1. Turn on the ignition. Press and hold down the outer 2 buttons on the Home Link. The HomeLink light will be constantly on and after you've held those two buttons down for 20 seconds, the light will flash rapidly. This means all buttons have been erased. Reading other people's experiences, this is a necessary step for programming the buttons.
  2. Choose the button you want to program. e.g. we will do this for Button #1.
  3. Keep holding down button #1. It will start flashing slowly. The approximate timing of this flash is: On for 0.5 seconds, Off for 0.5 seconds. This timing will help you in step 5.
  4. Bring your hand-held transmitter about an inch away from the HomeLink buttons. Keep in mind that button #1 is still being held down and the HomeLink light is flashing slowly.
  5. Now, press your hand-held's button and hold it down for two seconds, and then release it for two seconds. Keep doing this (press for two seconds and release for two seconds) and within 20 seconds you should see the HomeLink light flash rapidly. If the light blinks rapidly, congratulations, you are done for button #1. For me this fast blink happened within a few seconds of starting this step (#5). Repeat from step 2 as needed for other buttons.
To help you with timing in step 5, time your on/off button presses with the flashes of the home light (which changes its state every 0.5 seconds). If you still don't understand the timing, download a timer app for your phone and understand how long 2 seconds is. It doesnt have to be exactly 2 seconds. An approximation is fine.
Previously for step #5, I was trying this and it did not work: Quickly press and release the hand-held button every 2 seconds, so this meant I was not holding down the button. I was quickly pressing and releasing it and again this did not work.

Sadly the directions in the Lexus manual were not clear about the above steps. First of all they did say that we had to do step #1 to erase the buttons in order to successfully program the buttons. They were also not clear about the timing sequence of step #5.
Good luck to everyone who is trying to do this and hopefully my post will be helpful. I'm sure other Lexus models of various years use the same method.