ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2ES ECU Capacitors Fixed White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16, 10:45 PM
GEO255
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2ES ECU Capacitors Fixed White Smoke

Hi guys. I'd just like to +1 the how-to here regarding blown capacitors in the ECU causing white smoke.

I bought my 2ES with 100,000km on the clock for $500 because the owner thought it had a blown motor. When I was inspecting it, I did a quick Google search and found the CL topics suggesting the ECU.

I took the punt and bought it. I'm glad I did, 7 replaced caps and a quick track repair and it's purring like a kitten.

Blown capacitors and track damage

I love it. Absolutely perfect leather interior, no dints and a perfectly straight body. Even all the instrument needles light up.

I replaced the back lights following another thread here. These photos are early ones showing where I had put some LEDS backwards. I've fixed this up and the whole cluster glows (except for the one led near the fuel gauge, I only got supplied with 7 LEDS not 8.im waiting for my 8th to arrive and I'll put it in, along with a new odometer that has also blown. I also replaced all the other instrument bulbs with LEDS while I was at it. It took quite a while to get all them the right way around.

I don't know where I would be without CL. Thanks everyone for your great contributions.
Old 07-21-16, 07:49 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by GEO255
Hi guys. I'd just like to +1 the how-to here regarding blown capacitors in the ECU causing white smoke.

I bought my 2ES with 100,000km on the clock for $500 because the owner thought it had a blown motor. When I was inspecting it, I did a quick Google search and found the CL topics suggesting the ECU.

I took the punt and bought it. I'm glad I did, 7 replaced caps and a quick track repair and it's purring like a kitten.

Blown capacitors and track damage

I love it. Absolutely perfect leather interior, no dints and a perfectly straight body. Even all the instrument needles light up.

I replaced the back lights following another thread here. These photos are early ones showing where I had put some LEDS backwards. I've fixed this up and the whole cluster glows (except for the one led near the fuel gauge, I only got supplied with 7 LEDS not 8.im waiting for my 8th to arrive and I'll put it in, along with a new odometer that has also blown. I also replaced all the other instrument bulbs with LEDS while I was at it. It took quite a while to get all them the right way around.

I don't know where I would be without CL. Thanks everyone for your great contributions.
That's an awesome story, welcome! Take some pictures of the car, I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy seeing them.