ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Speedometer, odometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 05:47 AM
jaredmac11
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Speedometer, odometer not working

97 Lexus ES300, 3.0L engine

Early winter last year, my speedometer and odometer started to not work properly. At first it was just blips where the odometer would blank out and the speedometer would drop to 0 while in motion.

Took it to a shop and they replaced the speed sensor, as the CEL indicated. A day later, same issue occured. Took the car back, they took out the speed sensor, put in the old one, and poked around with the wiring. Couldnt find issue. They believe the issue was either wiring, or possibly a bad cluster. Maybe a cold solder or something in the cluster.

I dealt with it for a few months since the issue was very intermittent. Then suddenly for another few months, the issue seemed to no longer occur... until last week. Speedometer/odometer is completely dead. In addition, last week I had difficulty shifting out of first gear. It just sat in first til I let off the gas a few times and it shifted. Hasnt happened since.

Spoke with a mechanic friend and he volunteered that it could be the ECU as well, he has replaced several ECUs in these cars.

Has anyone ran in to this? This car is not pretty anymore-- the paint is failing on the hood and trunk and roof. Its just not worth more than $1500. Therefore I dont want to spend $300+ diagnosing electrical issues. Found an ECU for $50 on Ebay.. I know its a gamble but I'm hoping that others have seen this to be a common issue and there's at least a decent chance its the ECU.

Last edited by jaredmac11; 07-11-16 at 05:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
djr48312 (11-18-23)
Old 07-11-16, 06:44 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Make sure that all your fuses make good contact and are good. Also try disconnecting the Battery for 10 minutes or so. If you have a code reader than first retrieve any codes stored in memory.

It doesn't hurt to try and costs you nothing.
Old 07-11-16, 08:11 AM
jaredmac11
Driver

Originally Posted by PFB
Make sure that all your fuses make good contact and are good. Also try disconnecting the Battery for 10 minutes or so. If you have a code reader than first retrieve any codes stored in memory.

It doesn't hurt to try and costs you nothing.
Gosh, I havent even thought to check fuses. I'll give that a look tonight. 'Resetting' the ECU by unplugging the battery seems like a good idea too.. just in case....
Old 09-14-16, 09:29 AM
jaredmac11
Driver

Bump,

Has anyone ran in to this? Ive read that a swapped speedometer could fix the issue, its just salvage yards have vehicles of unknown mileage and I fear I'd destroy my car's resale value (what little there already is). Hoping I can fix the issue, not replace it!
Old 09-14-16, 09:59 AM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredmac11
Bump,

Has anyone ran in to this? Ive read that a swapped speedometer could fix the issue, its just salvage yards have vehicles of unknown mileage and I fear I'd destroy my car's resale value (what little there already is). Hoping I can fix the issue, not replace it!
I had a similar issue and I replaced my speedo/odo unit for $12.50 at my local LKQ Pick and Pull.
1. Get replacement speedo.
2. Desolder odo chip from old and new speedos.
3. Reprogram if necessary aka if your current odo is nonfunctional (check out speedkar99's tutorial).
4. Resolder, reassemble and smile.

Disassembly of the instrument cluster is relatively simple but can be a little frustrating with the limited space behind the cluster to unplug it. Overall, the hardest part of the process was desoldering and getting the programmer to work.

I'm just a kid in college. If I can do it, anyone can. Just take your time.

Once you reassemble your cluster everything will look the same, no one will be able to tell unless they open up the cluster again to look at the slightly different than factory solder pads.

Last edited by WILLYumD; 09-14-16 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-14-16, 10:52 AM
jaredmac11
Driver

Originally Posted by WILLYumD
I had a similar issue and I replaced my speedo/odo unit for $12.50 at my local LKQ Pick and Pull.
3. Reprogram if necessary aka if your current odo is nonfunctional (check out speedkar99's tutorial).

Disassembly of the instrument cluster is relatively simple but can be a little frustrating with the limited space behind the cluster to unplug it. Overall, the hardest part of the process was desoldering and getting the programmer to work.

Once you reassemble your cluster everything will look the same, no one will be able to tell unless they open up the cluster again to look at the slightly different than factory solder pads.
Perfect!! There is a salvage yard with a 97 Lexus ES speedometer, but they want $75. That was a bit pricey. Maybe it was cluster only, because I was hearing others getting speedometers for around $20. I figured it was a broken resistor/capacitor, but if its likely the failed chip, swapping those out cant be too impossible.

I did pull the cluster out. Its not awful. When I looked at the wiring and everything it LOOKED fine, but I certainly am not an electrician and dont have the eye for that. I will review the guide and look in to this
Old 09-14-16, 12:08 PM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Sometimes things just go bad with age, especially considering your vehicle is almost 20.
Mine's 18 and the tachometer is sticky, the radio LCD died years ago, but alas the show goes on.

When I went to my LKQ, I disassembled the cluster there (yes, I know, douche move) and took just the speedo. You could try that if it reduces the price, bring a Phillips head and maybe a small Phillips head if you have one.
Old 09-16-16, 06:04 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are vendors on the site. We repair instrument clusters and can definitely say that after 20 years, a cluster is going to need some TLC. Some are not repairable and if that is the case, we help locate replacements and program the correct mileage into them for you. If you replace the cluster and just want the correct miles, here is a link to our service:

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/S...do_correct.htm

Let us know if anyone has any questions on the service or cluster issues.

Thanks!
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 09-17-16, 11:25 AM
jaredmac11
Driver

Could I just swap the clusters? Out of curiousity. Im not 100% sure it is the cluster, but for a $50 cluster I figured I'd try. Anyways, I took out the cluster, plugged it in, reset the computer and while the CEL went away, the speedo/odo still didnt work. Does the ECU expect to work with MY specific cluster? Or would the replacement cluster work? I didnt buy the cluster just in case that wasnt the issue.

Last edited by jaredmac11; 09-17-16 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-17-16, 11:53 AM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

You can just swap out the clusters but the problem will be an incorrect odometer reading. The process I outlined is the fix for that.
Old 09-19-16, 04:30 AM
jaredmac11
Driver

You can just swap out the clusters but the problem will be an incorrect odometer reading. The process I outlined is the fix for that.
Understood. I was a bit surprised to see swapping the clusters did not fix the issue, so it makes me wonder if I was missing a step.
Old 09-19-16, 05:09 AM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

When I swapped my cluster, I was confused likewise. Then I saw speedkar99's posts and realized Toyota put the odometer on a relatively easy to access chip (good and bad lol).
Old 09-20-16, 08:48 AM
jaredmac11
Driver

When I swapped my cluster, I was confused likewise. Then I saw speedkar99's posts and realized Toyota put the odometer on a relatively easy to access chip (good and bad lol).
So glad the other 2 clusters I found at the yard didnt work. I would have gone down a hell of a rabbit hole for nothing if I didnt test it first.

Luckily,
I Just found out there are TWO speed sensors. I believe the mechanic just replaced one. I am going to a parts yard to grab the 3-wire speed sensors. Allegedly these are low-fail parts, so I believe I can yank this one and be done with it.

If its not the 3-wire sensor, Im at a loss, honestly.

Last edited by jaredmac11; 09-20-16 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-23-16, 09:31 AM
jaredmac11
Driver

I cant get to the bottom of this. Its not the cluster, swapped one at the auto yard. Its not the vehicle speed sensors. SWapped both of those out too. Im at a loss. I cant get my vehicle inspected like this so Im pretty much stuck. Any ideas?
Old 09-23-16, 10:14 AM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Are the wiring harnesses to the instrument cluster in order? Especially the third one (from left to right as plugged into the cluster). Could be a loose connection.
Maybe the screws connecting the speedo/odo to the board aren't in tight enough?

Quick Reply: Speedometer, odometer not working