ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Vibration: Front Lower Control Arms

Old 07-05-16, 04:20 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

The rim is slightly bent according to the shop.

Luckily I never installed the control arms, so they will be going back.
Old 07-08-16, 06:50 PM
80es300
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

MrBooby,

So the balancing shop told u that? Curious as to how they find that out and how did they fix it.
My 98 es300 also has slight vibration sometimes.
Old 07-08-16, 07:21 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 80es300
MrBooby,

So the balancing shop told u that? Curious as to how they find that out and how did they fix it.
My 98 es300 also has slight vibration sometimes.
They put the wheel on a balancing machine and spun it by hand. Since I told them about the vibration, they carefully observed the rim and noticed that it was slightly wobbling.

I ordered a replacement rim, so we'll see if it fixes the problem.
Old 08-04-16, 04:21 PM
80es300
Pit Crew

Where did you order the replacement rim? (This is the 17 rim seen in the pic, right).
I really like those rims and wondering where you got them? used/new and how much

Thanks
Old 08-04-16, 08:25 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Where did you order the replacement rim? (This is the 17 rim seen in the pic, right).
I really like those rims and wondering where you got them? used/new and how much

Thanks
I got one used from eBay. I didn't realize just how difficult it would be to find one in decent condition without paying almost as much as I did for two!

Btw, the vibration is still there. I think there was nothing wrong with the wheel I replaced. My mind was so fixated on having a bend that I went along with that theory.

I thought something was wrong with the used replacement rim, but later realized that it had nothing to do with the vibration.

Currently I'm back on the stock 15's to rule out the wheels as the issue. I noticed that the vibration is more pronounced with the heavier 17's. With the smaller and lighter stock wheels, the vibration is much harder to detect, but it's there. It shakes the floor starting at 60mph and then moves into vibrating the steering wheel.

Something weird I noticed. With one 17" wheel on the Driver Front Left and one 15" wheel on the Passenger Front Right, the vibration was going in and out in a rhythmic pattern. It was constant from 60-80mph, but would come and go like a wave with about a 2-3 second interval.

I'm not sure how to figure out if it's a control arm issue or a steering rack problem.

Last edited by Hayk; 08-04-16 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 05:32 AM
80es300
Pit Crew

bummer that it is still there. I got the control arms changed because of the vibration but I am not 100% sure if it fixed it all. May be it fixed it but like you said, my mind is always looking for the smallest vibration and so not able to enjoy the car as much
I haven't gone on a long drive after the fix. Will pay more attention next time I go for one
Old 08-18-16, 04:48 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Guys, I'm stumped.

Replaced the front control arms yesterday and the steering wheel is still vibrating.

At this point, I'm confident it's not a wheel balance issue, nor a bent wheel, or a bad tire.

Front struts were rebuilt/replaced two years ago, sway bar is nice and tight, no play in the tie rod ends, ball joints are good, new control arms.

Today I did a little test when the vibration came on at 70mph. I dropped it down into neutral, but the vibration did not change.

One observation I made is that it seems to be related to the engine/transaxle, because I feel it just as much through the gas pedal as I do through the steering column.

Could it be a bad engine mount? Can a bad half shaft produce something like this? What can it be?

p.s.: I used Beck/Arnley to source the control arms from Rock Auto, they also came with ball joints for almost the same price as the Dorman LCA's. They were manufactured in Taiwan and made by TRC. I heard Taiwan has better QC than China, so hopefully they will last.

Couple differences:
Weight: Stock 9.2 lbs vs 7.8lbs TRC (Beck/Arnley)
Rear bushing orientation on the aftermarket units was different, possibly even wrong?

Notice how those little half circle slits are up and down on the old units vs side to side on the new ones.
Attachment 393641

Attachment 393640

Last edited by Hayk; 08-18-16 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-26-16, 02:44 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be cv axle driver side. If your trans is fine, its gotta be one of the axle. You checked everything else. Do you have a chance to put this up on a lift or jack all 4 and put in drive?
Old 08-26-16, 07:16 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by surgeon0
Could be cv axle driver side. If your trans is fine, its gotta be one of the axle. You checked everything else. Do you have a chance to put this up on a lift or jack all 4 and put in drive?
Funny you say that, I did this exact test last night. Put the front end up on jack stands and shifted into Drive. I found that it was much easier to do the test in Second Gear, as it was much easier to control the speed/throttle.

I first did it with the wheels on, then with the wheels removed. Same vibration, in fact it was much more pronounced than on the road. I felt it all the way from 30mph+. It would go in and out depending on speed. Most pronounced at 44 or 46mph, without going up to highway speeds.

I can also very faintly hear some kind of a rumble inside the cabin. I feel like it's a bad bearing, but which one?

I scheduled a visit to a mechanic for this Sunday. Will see what they say.
Old 08-27-16, 08:59 AM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For bearing bad, jack up and then spin the wheels. If you hold the coil spring while spinning it should be coarse. It is a better test without rotor/brake pads in the way. So the caliper should be moved out of way. Or there is a ericthecarguy video showing how to check bad wheel bearing.

But yeah, a trip to mechanic is better.

Edit: Just saw this. Here is speedkar9 post on wheel bearing
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ml#post9598668
Old 08-27-16, 12:32 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by surgeon0
For bearing bad, jack up and then spin the wheels. If you hold the coil spring while spinning it should be coarse. It is a better test without rotor/brake pads in the way. So the caliper should be moved out of way. Or there is a ericthecarguy video showing how to check bad wheel bearing.

But yeah, a trip to mechanic is better.

Edit: Just saw this. Here is speedkar9 post on wheel bearing
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ml#post9598668
I tried the coil spring method, both sides felt smooth. I'll keep this thread updated on what I find.
Old 09-15-16, 05:45 AM
80es300
Pit Crew

MrBooby, What is the conclusion to the saga
Was the trip to the mechanic any helpful?
Old 09-20-16, 12:18 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

MrBooby, What is the conclusion to the saga
Was the trip to the mechanic any helpful?
Sort of but it's still pending.

I've visited two different shops.

First shop suggested that I have a worn out rear engine mount that's translating the vibrations into the cabin. They did a 'brake stand' in the Reverse Gear to show me how much movement there was.

I feel that this is the most likely cause due to the age of the car and the symptoms I've had over the years of owning it. Unfortunately the job is very challenging to do at home.

The second shop did not feel the vibration on the test drive with me, possible because I moved the wheels around. They rebalanced all the tires and suggested that it could be a tire issue.

I feel conflicted about the tires going bad randomly, especially on both sets of wheels. However I'm still testing to see if switching tires around changes anything.

I'm leaning towards the engine mounts.
Old 09-21-16, 02:30 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Leaning even closer to engine mounts. Started noticing a very faint vibration through the steering wheel at traffic lights. I will do some more troubleshooting and keep this thread updated.
Old 10-02-16, 05:58 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Wanted to update the thread with some more information for anyone having similar issues.

1. One of my summer wheels is producing a very noticeable vibration. It's the same wheel that had its rim replaced. The sidewall has some damage to it, which I think is the culprit.

Vibration: Front Lower Control Arms-photo668.jpg

2. Rear engine mount is torn and needs to be replaced. Tested the mount myself to verify. You can see the tear in the following shots.

Vibration: Front Lower Control Arms-photo658.jpg

Vibration: Front Lower Control Arms-photo311.jpg

I will be addressing the engine mounts this month. The wheels will have to wait till next year.

Last edited by Hayk; 10-03-16 at 06:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hayk:
SAlirezaV (06-02-19), Screwball (12-14-16)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vibration: Front Lower Control Arms