ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What is the best way to restore headlights? (06 ES330)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-16, 09:12 AM
ES214
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best way to restore headlights? (06 ES330)

My headlights are foggy and have water trapped inside. Is this something I can do myself?
Old 03-15-16, 11:33 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, get yourself a rotary buffer - not a random orbital, they are hard to control - buffing pads, and polishing compound. You can use either PlastX or another, they're all mild abrasives, to remove the oxidation.

Once this is done, you'll want to use either a layer of clear vinyl or a coat of wax to keep them clear.
Old 03-15-16, 05:19 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Depending upon how UV damaged they are, this may help but not really fix it. I did A LOT of polishing and it improved them and my beam color and coherence. But the appearance is still pretty yellowed and returns quickly after polishing. To really get them looking nice, you will likely need to sand before polishing, then clear-coat them and polish again. If you google this you can find lots of DIY videos and help.
Old 03-15-16, 05:40 PM
ES214
Driver

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Yes, get yourself a rotary buffer - not a random orbital, they are hard to control - buffing pads, and polishing compound. You can use either PlastX or another, they're all mild abrasives, to remove the oxidation.

Once this is done, you'll want to use either a layer of clear vinyl or a coat of wax to keep them clear.
Thank you for the detailed response. I always assumed that the oxidized and faded look was due to the inside of the headlights and not the exterior. Is that incorrect? Also, can your process apply to the inside of the headlights as well?
Old 03-15-16, 05:53 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

If you've got water inside and its foggy that's due to condensation and not hazing.

You will need to reseal the headlines (silicone) and dry them out with a hair drier. Make sure the rubber rings around the bulbs are intact and not letting any moisture in the lens.

Protect the outside of the lens with vinyl wrap. I've done it on my cars and they've been holding up for over a year so far:

Old 03-15-16, 10:14 PM
01ESgray
Driver School Candidate

Default Proven headlight restoration method

I have used number of products only to find this Youtube video "Headlight Restoration Part 1" that makes the best sense. I started with 3M Headlight Restoration Kit at Walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Headlig...n-Kit/13023890
and purchased the products he suggested at the best delivered internet site price.
Enjoy, I have
Old 03-16-16, 12:50 PM
ES214
Driver

Originally Posted by speedkar9
If you've got water inside and its foggy that's due to condensation and not hazing.

You will need to reseal the headlines (silicone) and dry them out with a hair drier. Make sure the rubber rings around the bulbs are intact and not letting any moisture in the lens.

Protect the outside of the lens with vinyl wrap. I've done it on my cars and they've been holding up for over a year so far:

Clear Vinyl Headlight Wrap - YouTube

Blue Vinyl Headlight Wrap - YouTube
Originally Posted by 01ESgray
I have used number of products only to find this Youtube video "Headlight Restoration Part 1" that makes the best sense. I started with 3M Headlight Restoration Kit at Walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Headlig...n-Kit/13023890
and purchased the products he suggested at the best delivered internet site price.
Enjoy, I have
Thank you for the suggestions. I've heard good things about the products mentioned. I'm going to watch the videos and decide what the best option will be for me.
Old 03-16-16, 12:52 PM
ES214
Driver

Originally Posted by Oro
Depending upon how UV damaged they are, this may help but not really fix it. I did A LOT of polishing and it improved them and my beam color and coherence. But the appearance is still pretty yellowed and returns quickly after polishing. To really get them looking nice, you will likely need to sand before polishing, then clear-coat them and polish again. If you google this you can find lots of DIY videos and help.
Thanks for the suggestions. Can you recommend where I can find sand paper. Also, what brands do you recommend for the Polish and clear coat?
Old 03-16-16, 09:10 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Originally Posted by ES214
Thanks for the suggestions. Can you recommend where I can find sand paper. Also, what brands do you recommend for the Polish and clear coat?
Amazon or Home Depot, the finer the grit the better IMO.

Here's what you can use both on paint and plastic, though you will want to use a softer pad and slower speed with paint. Slower is better to keep the heat down.

Amazon.com: Meguiar's M105 Mirror Glaze Ultra-Cut Compound - 32 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's M105 Mirror Glaze Ultra-Cut Compound - 32 oz.: Automotive
Cutting compound

then

Amazon.com: Meguiar's M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish - 32 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish - 32 oz.: Automotive
Polishing compound

Depending on the condition of your lights, you may be able to skip the sandpaper and just go the buffing/polishing route, but if the hazing is pretty significant you'll want to use it.

Last edited by Chocolate; 03-16-16 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-16-16, 09:28 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

600 grit sand paper and lots of water, sand evenly then spray clear coat on it, Voila, new lens :-)

If you get clear coat with UV protectant, repair will last longer.
Old 03-16-16, 09:45 PM
ES214
Driver

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
600 grit sand paper and lots of water, sand evenly then spray clear coat on it, Voila, new lens :-)

If you get clear coat with UV protectant, repair will last longer.
Thanks, Draco. You've been very helpful this past week. Can you suggest a clear coat product?
Old 03-16-16, 09:47 PM
ES214
Driver

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Amazon or Home Depot, the finer the grit the better IMO.

Here's what you can use both on paint and plastic, though you will want to use a softer pad and slower speed with paint. Slower is better to keep the heat down.

Amazon.com: Meguiar's M105 Mirror Glaze Ultra-Cut Compound - 32 oz.: Automotive Cutting compound

then

Amazon.com: Meguiar's M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish - 32 oz.: Automotive Polishing compound

Depending on the condition of your lights, you may be able to skip the sandpaper and just go the buffing/polishing route, but if the hazing is pretty significant you'll want to use it.
I'm sure I could look this up but what's the difference between compound, polish, and clear coat? And are these headlight specific products or is this same compound/polish/clear coat that is used on the paint of a car?
Old 03-16-16, 10:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,696 Likes on 2,282 Posts

2K Spraymax is probably the most durable but you MUST wear a proper breather.
There are products like this There are products like this
that have positive reviews.
Old 03-16-16, 10:11 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just cleaned my MIL's Prius Gen1 Light after HID kit, wow what a difference.

I just used what I had on the shelf, Acrylic, not the best but did the trick.

I am digging the 2K SprayMax. Maybe next time.
Old 03-16-16, 11:47 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Originally Posted by ES214
I'm sure I could look this up but what's the difference between compound, polish, and clear coat? And are these headlight specific products or is this same compound/polish/clear coat that is used on the paint of a car?
Compound has very fine abrasives to restore a paint finish, which is followed by polish and then sealant or wax. It makes a huge improvement to the appearance of the paint after 10 years. That was the main reason I bought a rotary buffer. The same process also works to remove surface oxidation/wear on the headlights.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to restore headlights? (06 ES330)