ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Too much transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-15, 07:15 PM
Miles253
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much transmission fluid?

I have a 92 ES300. When I bought it, six months ago, the transmission fluid was within the acceptable range on the dipstick. There was and is some hard shifting and occasional hesitation in shifting, but I get to and from work with no problems. I wanted to add some slipstop product to the tranny, so I checked the dipstick to see how much room I have. The level is reading about an inch above the max level on the dipstick. Nothing has been added to the transmission since buying this car. The dipstick is the correct one for this car. Has anyone seen this before? Any solutions?
Old 12-05-15, 08:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,686 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Fluid must be checked after the car has been driven for 15+ minutes, engine running. Have you done this?
Old 12-05-15, 08:28 PM
Miles253
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I have checked it after a 15 minute drive, a thirty minute drive, and i just checked it cold, one day cold. It's at the same level.
Old 12-05-15, 09:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

So what's the problem? When is the last time the fluid was replaced?
Originally Posted by Miles253
It's at the same level.
The fluid level changes depending on temperature (hot fluid expands about 4%).
Old 12-05-15, 09:13 PM
Miles253
Driver School Candidate

Okay, but what I'm seeing is no change, even when I've hit the freeway at 75mph. It's consistently at one inch past the hot temp limit line on the dipstick. I don't see how this is possible, considering that trans fluid is not seeping out of every gasket.

Last edited by Miles253; 12-05-15 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 09:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Sounds like the transmission is over filled, the dipstick will only show fluid so high. Drain some out and check again, but while you're at it drain the pan and re-fill with ~2 liters and check. Then fill until you get the level right.
Old 12-06-15, 01:53 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Yes, I have checked it after a 15 minute drive, a thirty minute drive, and i just checked it cold, one day cold. It's at the same level.
Just to clarify the point above by Lexus2000, it was one day cold and still you had the engine running while checking and had shifted it through all gears prior to checking? Unless doing that, it will always show over-full even when it is not. An inch above full requires about 3 to 5 quarts of over-fill given the pan volume in a typical Aisin transmission, even when allowing for capillary action in the fill tube. Or exactly what it reads when checked with the engine off and/or left in Park.

And you are sure the fluid has had at least a pan drain/fill in the last 50k miles (preferably 30k) with the right fluid?

Last edited by Oro; 12-06-15 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-06-15, 10:02 AM
Miles253
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure ANY servicing had been done to this car prior to me buying it. I do know the fluids were clean, although there were some fine metal filings, very little, in the trans fluid. The level was within the normal range, however. And yes, I have moved through the gears as theannual says, before checking the level. I'm wondering if it's somehow possible for too much of the fluid to get trapped in the area of the dipstick, but I am not familiar with the layout of the transmission. Transmissions are intimidating. It's probably best for me to just do the drain and fill, so I can learn a little more about this car. Everything else I have worked on had been previously done wrong.
Are there any other fluid systems in contact with the transmission system?
Old 12-06-15, 01:14 PM
Oro
Racer

That is a sound idea; set a baseline with at least some new fluid in it. A good way to judge cleanliness of atf is to do a drop test. Let a drop fall on a piece of white paper towel, and absorb. Examine the dot closely and see if dirt, etc. are retained or migrate to the edges of the drop. You can see dirt a simple look misses when it's in suspension. Even clean fluid, over time, will shear down out of grade. Obviously, WAY slower than engine oil, but it still happens in an AT over enough time.

I would also recommend a little SeaFoam in it for a few days or more before the drain/fill. It can clean up things nicely. If you can't find their "TransTune," or it is much more, just use the regular. Based on the MSDS info, there is no difference, just the red dye.

I GUESS your fluid type is DexIII, verify. Many of us use Valv. MaxLife synthetic from WalMart as a DexIII/VI, T-IV, and WS replacement. Cheap and good in gallon jugs, It is a great fluid. If a change improves the problem, then I would do a 2nd drain/fill 1k miles later to up your new fluid ratio. Then do it every 30k. One jug/$17 should do a single drain/fill. Get two new washers from Napa or somewhere (because you'll likely do a 2nd one soon).

The unit is in fact a transaxle with the front diff included. I think in that year range there may have been a 2nd drain for the diff. unit so research the method here; I have not worked on that year range but have read this elsewhere so heads up.

Use the left over fluid to replace your PS fluid. SeaFoam in there for a week ahead of time is also wise.

PS method:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ce-needed.html

Simple and effective. You don't need the brass plug on the vertical tubing, just make it long enough to stay above the reservoir.

Where do you live?

Last edited by Oro; 12-06-15 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-11-15, 08:21 PM
Miles253
Driver School Candidate

I live in the northwest, in Tacoma, WA.
Thank you for this trove of information you have given me, it will help when I do the drain and fill next weekend. There is indeed a front differential that requires separate draining, and I have located both drains.
In the examination process, I also noticed that the oil pan was put on too tight, squishing the gasket and causing leakage. More fun! Time for an oil & filter change, anyway.
I'll update my progress, thanks again.
Old 12-11-15, 10:24 PM
Oro
Racer

The Walmart on Union in Tacoma usually has the gallons of MaxLife ATF; that is where I buy it. If you look on line it says "unavailable," but it is usually on the shelf. Iive in King co. but travel to Gig Harbor 2x a month to visit elderly parents.

The torque spec for drain pan bolts is usually like 9~10 ft/lbs. Clean those surfaces really well scraping them, then acetone to get them totally clean and free. I like to use Permatex Aviation #3 as a gasket dressing. Works well, not pricey. Once you get the pan on and torqued, if you can, leave the car overnight and the unit (engine or tranny) empty. Then re-check the torque the next day before filling. Then again a week later. The gasket will slowly take a set and if you do that, then it should not leak for a very long time.
Old 12-12-15, 01:55 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine seems to be overfilled as well, on a rebuilt tranny :/.. although i do have a leak somewhere, not sure if its the actual bellhousing or the pan itself..

is bellhousing leak common? or is it rear main?
Old 12-13-15, 09:16 AM
pauloil
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in the northwest, in Tacoma, WA.
Thank you for this trove of information you have given me, it will help when I do the drain and fill next weekend. There is indeed a front differential that requires separate draining, and I have located both drains.
In the examination process, I also noticed that the oil pan was put on too tight, squishing the gasket and causing leakage. More fun! Time for an oil & filter change, anyway.
I'll update my progress, thanks again.
look in your owner's manual. mine for 05 say you drain out 3.7 qts. I just did this yesterday. After reading this, are U sure you are checking the level after running throught all the gears in park, and the engine running?