ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

My newish ES300

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-15, 05:11 AM
Vinnnocc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My newish ES300

Hey all
I'm new to Lexus
I will be getting my grandfathers 2001 ES300 he was the second owner two old guys drove the car it's whole life.

Car has 188k
leaking powersteering fluid from the power steering rack where the bolts go
Other then that she runs great and rides smooth.

Anything I should be concerned about?
Anything I should look at ?
Old 10-14-15, 07:07 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking car, I like the color combination. I would just make sure your fluids are not too old and replace them if you don't know. Make sure your pcv valve is fresh as that is a known issue which causes these engines to build sludge. You may also want to check when the timing belt was last done. Same goes with the fuel filter.

One thing I would do right off the bat is known as the "Big 3 upgrade" . It consists of replacing three wires in your car with heavier units. So far I have only done the battery negative terminal to chassis wire but it helped the car out a lot with idling, air conditioning, etc.

Check out all the rubber components in the suspension and under the hood to make sure nothing is getting brittle or torn. Under the hood, it helps to remove the engine cover, there are a lot of vacuum lines under there that can fail over time. A good way to check your suspension is one corner at a time and when you first get the tire off the ground try to rock it back and forth or up and down to check for any play.

It also would be wise to invest in either an ELM327 Bluetooth adapter for $10 or Techstream cable and software for $20-$30. The ELM327 will pair with your phone and allow you to read any parameter that obd2 is monitoring as well as see and clear fault codes, it's very handy and the software I use (torque ) is very impressive, you can have a gauge for anything and datalog amongst other features. The techstream will allow you to alter factory settings which is nice to be able.to control, I don't have it yet but probably will soon.

You may want to run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through and give the car some full throttle time as older people tend not to mash the pedal too much which can lead to carbon build up.

Other than that, nice car and best of luck with it.
Old 10-14-15, 01:15 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Jets what factory settings can you alter with that?
Old 10-14-15, 01:35 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

I don't really know as I do not have it. However, Speedkar9 probably knows. He made a video about techstream. He makes videos about everything. He is THE MAN

Old 10-14-15, 02:47 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinnnocc
Hey all
I'm new to Lexus
I will be getting my grandfathers 2001 ES300 he was the second owner two old guys drove the car it's whole life.

Car has 188k
leaking powersteering fluid from the power steering rack where the bolts go
Other then that she runs great and rides smooth.

Anything I should be concerned about?
Anything I should look at ?
Really love the black on these cars. So classy.

Originally Posted by JetsonES
It also would be wise to invest in either an ELM327 Bluetooth adapter for $10 or Techstream cable and software for $20-$30. The ELM327 will pair with your phone and allow you to read any parameter that obd2 is monitoring as well as see and clear fault codes, it's very handy and the software I use (torque ) is very impressive, you can have a gauge for anything and datalog amongst other features. The techstream will allow you to alter factory settings which is nice to be able.to control, I don't have it yet but probably will soon.
I have the ELM327, and I cannot stress how convenient this piece of technology is. It will read/clear engine codes. It will also provide readings, graphs, gauges if you use the right software.
I tried both apps, "Torque" and "OBD Fusion", both very nice. But found that you can enter special formulas to read specific parameters on our Lexus vehicles on the OBD Fusion app, so went with that one.

Tech Stream is also a good handy software to have around, it enables you to perform basic settings for you car.

Last edited by KING; 10-14-15 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-14-15, 02:52 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Agreed, it looks great. Planning on keeping it stock?
Old 10-14-15, 06:09 PM
Vinnnocc
Driver School Candidate

Plans
Clear corners
Blueish hid
Yellow fogs
Double din
Light tints
Old 10-14-15, 06:10 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

At 188K miles you should find out if the timing belt has been changed. The water-pump (and hence the coolant) is often replaced when changing the belt too. The belt should be changed roughly every 7 years or ~90K miles.

Since the steering rack is leaking, keep an eye on the fluid level. Do a full power steering flush to make sure contaminated fluid isn't cycling through the system. If the leak gets really bad, you could loose power steering while driving, and the rack will have to be replaced sooner or later.

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Jets what factory settings can you alter with that?
In the pre-2002 ES300's you can't alter much settings. I tried Techstream on a 1999 ES300 and my 1999 Solara and all I get is the ability to run monitors, read engine, airbag, and immobilizer codes, and program new keys.

As in my video above, newer Toyota/Lexus cars have much more things you can change, such as lights, keyless entry, security settings, etc.
Old 10-14-15, 06:14 PM
Vinnnocc
Driver School Candidate

It will be reg and insured tomorrow. I'm bringing it to my service I work at to give it a good look around. And attempt to fix the leak. Hopefully nuts came loose

Drove car today next problem driver window makes rubbing sounds going down. But up quite
Old 10-14-15, 06:16 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

The ability to program keys, you just sold me on the product.