ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2005 ES330 - Identity of Trunk Molding Piece?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-15, 08:08 PM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 ES330 - Identity of Trunk Molding Piece?

I need some help with the technical name of the rear molding piece that's below the emblem and above the license plate. After some searching, I've seen similar parts referred to by several different names. Trunk lid lift? Rear compartment door garnish? Trunk molding? Trunk lift handle?

Does anyone know how Lexus officially refers to this part? Or a part number?

There is a large piece of paint chipped off and quite a bit of abrasion on this one, and I'd like to consider replacing it. Just not sure what the best "term" to use in searching for a matching part.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 08-10-15, 08:04 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Need to know your paint code to get the correct part number. If yours is 1C0 then it would be 76811-33110-B0 but I'm guessing on the colour.
Old 08-10-15, 08:24 AM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Need to know your paint code to get the correct part number. If yours is 1C0 then it would be 76811-33110-B0 but I'm guessing on the colour.
Ahh, thanks for that. Not often I've dealt with trying to find or order parts like this.

Color code for my vehicle is 1F7.

Thanks again, Lexus2000.
Old 08-10-15, 08:44 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Should be 76801-33090-B1
Old 08-10-15, 08:49 AM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Should be 76801-33090-B1
Fantastic. I will check it out. Thanks -- I really appreciate the help!
Old 08-12-15, 06:49 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

A cheaper option would be to vinyl wrap it.
Old 08-13-15, 09:11 AM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
A cheaper option would be to vinyl wrap it.
I appreciate the feedback and suggestion. I haven't had any experience with vinyl wrap, though (either personally or having it done).
Old 08-13-15, 09:45 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have looked many years for that piece. You're better off getting touch up paint from Dr. Color Chip, or plasti dipping it if it bothers you.
Old 08-13-15, 10:04 AM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Should be 76801-33090-B1
Originally Posted by Megafast13
I have looked many years for that piece. You're better off getting touch up paint from Dr. Color Chip, or plasti dipping it if it bothers you.
Thanks, Megafast13.

The part number referenced by Lexus2000 led me to quite a few of them via Google search.

I saw prices as low as the $80-$90 range, including shipping.

The item description is usually something to this effect:

GARNISH SUB-ASSY, LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT DOOR, OUTSIDE

Last edited by varuscelli; 08-13-15 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-15-15, 08:44 AM
TOLex168
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=varuscelli;9143937]I need some help with the technical name of the rear molding piece that's below the emblem and above the license plate. After some searching, I've seen similar parts referred to by several different names. Trunk lid lift? Rear compartment door garnish? Trunk molding? Trunk lift handle?

Does anyone know how Lexus officially refers to this part? Or a part number?

There is a large piece of paint chipped off and quite a bit of abrasion on this one, and I'd like to consider replacing it. Just not sure what the best "term" to use in searching for a matching part.

Thanks in advance for any help.
==========================================

I am not sure if it would help with part number. Here is what I did this morning with my car (2005 ES330) that had bee peeling the trunk lid of over a year. I bought one from ebay and it is not fit and different color (ask the seller who said it fit). I scraped off the paint. Clay bar, polish, and wax. Refer to pictures below: Now it looks brand new chrome for both pieces.
Attached Thumbnails 2005 ES330 - Identity of Trunk Molding Piece?-dsc_0301b.jpg   2005 ES330 - Identity of Trunk Molding Piece?-dsc_0307b.jpg   2005 ES330 - Identity of Trunk Molding Piece?-dsc_0310b.jpg   2005 ES330 - Identity of Trunk Molding Piece?-dsc_0312b.jpg   2005 ES330 - Identity of Trunk Molding Piece?-dsc_0319b.jpg  

Old 08-15-15, 10:58 AM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TOLex168
I am not sure if it would help with part number. Here is what I did this morning with my car (2005 ES330) that had bee peeling the trunk lid of over a year. I bought one from ebay and it is not fit and different color (ask the seller who said it fit). I scraped off the paint. Clay bar, polish, and wax. Refer to pictures below: Now it looks brand new chrome for both pieces.
Thanks very much for that suggestion and excellent examples!

Seeing that section of chromed plastic (or whatever the right term is) under that rather large chip in mine made me wonder about how easy it might be to remove the remaining paint and leave just a chromed piece as I've seen on various other vehicles.

Toward the right end of the piece on my vehicle the paint is slightly buckling in any case, so the paint seems to be trying to separate itself as it is. You've provided a great example of what is beneath and how it might be fully revealed.

If I may ask, when you mentioned that you scraped off the paint, what method did you use? I'm wondering what the best and easiest way to remove the existing paint might be to leave the chromed part below as untouched/undamaged as possible.

Hey, thanks again. Great suggestion.
Old 08-15-15, 10:18 PM
TOLex168
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by varuscelli
Thanks very much for that suggestion and excellent examples!

Seeing that section of chromed plastic (or whatever the right term is) under that rather large chip in mine made me wonder about how easy it might be to remove the remaining paint and leave just a chromed piece as I've seen on various other vehicles.

Toward the right end of the piece on my vehicle the paint is slightly buckling in any case, so the paint seems to be trying to separate itself as it is. You've provided a great example of what is beneath and how it might be fully revealed.

If I may ask, when you mentioned that you scraped off the paint, what method did you use? I'm wondering what the best and easiest way to remove the existing paint might be to leave the chromed part below as untouched/undamaged as possible.

Hey, thanks again. Great suggestion.
All the tools that I used show in the last picture -- start from left to right. I used the blade to scrap off, level almost to 180 degree and slide/scrap off the paint. The knife was used for the line between two pieces, since the blade was too sharp. It peels off very easy in my case, and whole think take less one hour. Original idea, I want to remove and spray paint with similar color and put it back. Looked around to see how easy to remove, then I gave up and came up with the idea to remove the paint instead of. You may use plastic paint scrapper to scrap off that may prevent the scratches to the trunk lid piece.
Old 08-15-15, 10:31 PM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

I'm thinking of trying something along the lines of a gel paint stripper to remove the paint from the chrome plastic. Worst case is that if the stripper mars the chrome plastic, I might have to buy the part that I was originally thinking about buying. But if some kind of stripper would help to remove the old paint and leave the chrome plastic unharmed, that would work just fine for me. (And, of course, I mean to remove the piece from the trunk lid -- if that's reasonably easily done -- before trying any kind of paint stripper, if I go that route.)

Last edited by varuscelli; 08-16-15 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-23-15, 07:35 PM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

OK, I removed the trunk lift (GARNISH SUB-ASSY, LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT DOOR, OUTSIDE) and despite a bit of uneasiness I went ahead and scraped the old paint off with a Xacto blade. The process of using a blade did leave some micro scratches in a few places, but it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I'll post something of the finished job tomorrow, but in the interim, here is what my start looked like. These pics showing the knife are just the result of scraping, no cleaning or polishing. The end product looks a lot better than these interim pics.

TOLex168, thanks for your recommendation and going over what you did when faced with the same situation I was in.

Original pic of the flaking paint on the trunk lift that was bothering me.

Start of scraping process, after removing the trunk lift trim from the trunk lid.

About halfway done with scraping the paint off.

Old 08-24-15, 05:52 AM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Here are the before and after pics for comparison The light is a bit different (different times of day), but these should give a pretty good idea what the removal of the old paint revealed.

Quick Reply: 2005 ES330 - Identity of Trunk Molding Piece?