ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 Aftermarket Radio install 1997

Old 08-05-15, 12:01 PM
MattEs300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300 Aftermarket Radio install 1997

Ok so I've searched all over and really didn't find too much on the install of aftermarket radio. I didn't want to bypass amps and actually use them along with speakers. With the aftermarket radio (JVC KW-R910BT) . I bought the aftermarket wiring harness off ebay for $8. It was by DNF "TOYOTA LEXUS AMP RADIO WIRING" I didn't use the blue wire (power antena) Brown wire (don't know what its for) or Orange and brown wife (again don't know what for) All the rest were color coded and matched up with power, Illumination, power amp turn on ETC. All wires were same color on radio wiring harness and matched up with the aftermarket wiring harness. On radio wiring harness I used all wires except speakers wires and steering control wire. This is were many people don't have a lot of info. The aftermarket wiring harness has 4 rca connectors. 2 for front and 2 for rear. they plugged into the radio accordingly. This is what allows the amps to get the sound and deliver to the car speakers.

After connecting all wires and rca jacks, it came to the time of truth. I only had to plug in the aftermarket wiring harness to the car and see if it worked. Sure enough exceptional sound from all speakers even sub. No rewiring of speakers or anything. Every Easy. Spent less than 1 hr on removal and install. Spent 6 hours researching but well worth it.

Lots of people said they disconnected the battery, I did not because all wires are protected in the wiring harness. Even plugging in to car did need to worry about that. Now I have a radio that the led display works and sounds great using factory amps and speakers. I also added blue tooth tech for phone use and media streaming. Again all good for my ES300 with 150k miles going strong.

The radio was easy to remove. Upper vents you pry out slowly and carefully located above the radio. It has 2 wiring harness that you press a release button and the come off. Just below the climate control is another plastic piece that pull straight out. The removal of these two items shows the 4 bolts to remove the radio. Remove them and the radio and climate control can be removed. You can remove bolts from radio on the side and the wiring harness or harnesses if you have the CD changer. In my case I had the 2 wiring harnesses. So I lost the CD changer but gained the bluetooth phone and media streaming.