ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2001 Es300 Need help with the VSS (vehicle speed sensor)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 07:05 PM
Lexluthero
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Es300 Need help with the VSS (vehicle speed sensor)

Hello, I'm new to the site and i could use some advice. First off im having troubles with hard shifting (jumping) and the car not going into overdrive (Driving @60 and the RPM's are clocking over 3k RPM). Well i took the battery out so i could clear the codes, test drove the car again with the engine light off, as soon as i got it out on the highway and as soon as the transmission shifted into second the car shifted hard then the check engine light immediately lit up, got the code read and the scanner said the VSS is malfunctioning or something to that nature and 2 other codes one saying trouble communicating with the computer and a O2 sensor code, but I can't for the life of me find this part below on the car, I was told it was underneath the car on the transmission somewhere. It's not the smaller one on top of the transmission by the battery or starter. Also there is a whining noise coming from what sounds like maybe the transmission, I know the sound of a tired transmission but its not originating from that area, its more near the serpentine belt towards the passenger side, if its cold and as soon as a start it, it whines pretty loud for a short second then quiets down, and once the car is warm the noise is there but not as noticeable. Going to try to replace the cheap parts before jumping the gun and buying a new transmission.

If anyone can help i would GREATLY appreciate it, i need my car and i am afraid the transmission may just be dieing, not sure the symptoms with these cars. Im glad to be part of the Lexus community

This is the part I'm trying to find on the vehicle so I can replace it.

Last edited by Lexluthero; 05-31-15 at 08:17 AM. Reason: more info
Old 05-31-15, 04:12 AM
Lexluthero
Driver School Candidate

Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-15, 04:24 AM
Qwerty321
Rookie

I hate to give you an extremely generic answer but, have you tried consulting your manual? Also, maybe give Lexus a call? You might have to sit through being put on hold, but they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Sorry I can't be of much help. Good luck
Old 05-31-15, 05:11 AM
Lexluthero
Driver School Candidate

Thats alright, i thought if i called Lexus they would just tell me that i would have to go to the dealership, and i have bought a haynes manual for the car and its not specific with that part, has a horrible picture, and i cant find it anywhere on google...
Old 06-01-15, 12:44 PM
fpt2001
Driver School Candidate

Default VVC caused similar issue

I have a 1999 ES300. Both VSC lights came on and the car would barely shift through the gears and when warmed up it would not go into a high gear or OD. It also stayed at a high RPM.

The fix was a $40 valve on the VVC control box. It is the aluminum box with several small tubes coming out the top. Mine is located toward the front of the engine, passenger side. It has worked fine ever since. This box measures oil pressure and adjusts timing among other critical settings.

Not sure if it is the same issue you have.
Old 06-01-15, 03:40 PM
Lexluthero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fpt2001
I have a 1999 ES300. Both VSC lights came on and the car would barely shift through the gears and when warmed up it would not go into a high gear or OD. It also stayed at a high RPM.

The fix was a $40 valve on the VVC control box. It is the aluminum box with several small tubes coming out the top. Mine is located toward the front of the engine, passenger side. It has worked fine ever since. This box measures oil pressure and adjusts timing among other critical settings.

Not sure if it is the same issue you have.
Thanks man! Do you mean VVT? I will have to look into that, but it is throwing 2 codes, P1725 and C1201, so im not sure if it would be the that, wont hurt to try anyway! This is making me wanna rip my hair out, i want it fixed! And by any chance do you have a pic?

Last edited by Lexluthero; 06-01-15 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-08-15, 06:40 PM
2es300
Driver School Candidate

Default Very easy

Originally Posted by Lexluthero
Hello, I'm new to the site and i could use some advice. First off im having troubles with hard shifting (jumping) and the car not going into overdrive (Driving @60 and the RPM's are clocking over 3k RPM). Well i took the battery out so i could clear the codes, test drove the car again with the engine light off, as soon as i got it out on the highway and as soon as the transmission shifted into second the car shifted hard then the check engine light immediately lit up, got the code read and the scanner said the VSS is malfunctioning or something to that nature and 2 other codes one saying trouble communicating with the computer and a O2 sensor code, but I can't for the life of me find this part below on the car, I was told it was underneath the car on the transmission somewhere. It's not the smaller one on top of the transmission by the battery or starter. Also there is a whining noise coming from what sounds like maybe the transmission, I know the sound of a tired transmission but its not originating from that area, its more near the serpentine belt towards the passenger side, if its cold and as soon as a start it, it whines pretty loud for a short second then quiets down, and once the car is warm the noise is there but not as noticeable. Going to try to replace the cheap parts before jumping the gun and buying a new transmission.

If anyone can help i would GREATLY appreciate it, i need my car and i am afraid the transmission may just be dieing, not sure the symptoms with these cars. Im glad to be part of the Lexus community

This is the part I'm trying to find on the vehicle so I can replace it.
That speed sensor is 1 of 2 on the transmission. That one is DIRECTLY on top just look straight down next to the starter it has a 12mm bolt holding it down . I just unhook the sensor and use an extention with a 12 mm ratchet . It's all black but very easy to access
Old 09-19-15, 12:30 PM
Dink
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two magnetic sensors on the 1999-2001 ES300. I assume you are getting the error code P0500? Go to Auto Zone and have them check the codes for free. The VSS is located below the air intake box, the other sensor is the clutch sensor which is easier to get at. I had an intermittent speedometer and cleaned the VSS sensor and the electrical contacts on the connector. The ES300 is notorious for poor electrical connectors getting oxidized - a little sand paper cleans them and corrects many problems. Attached is a photo from my 1999 ES300 showing both sensors. The lower left sensor is the VSS, the top center sensor is the clutch sensor. Note the air filter box has been removed (5 minute removal time).

Last edited by Dink; 09-19-15 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-19-15, 01:34 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You aren't kidding about the crap electrical connections, my car was acting all sorts of screwed up, only putting out 11volts, ac intermittent, etc. I replaced the ground cable from the battery to chassis with some 0 gauge wire I had laying around and bam all problems were resolved. The stock wire looked like 12 or 16 gauge, not enough to ground a car properly.
Old 06-23-19, 04:35 PM
bofronado2
Driver School Candidate

99 Lexus ES300, has error code P0500. The car was making all kinds of crazy shifts and then the transmission acted like it was disconnected. It makes a funny sound, like when a gear on a manual will not go into gear. I turned off the car, and the transmission was engaged again. I replaced the speed control sensor and the car started shifting better, so I thought it was fixed, after driving around town I took it down a road I could go 45 or so, stopped at the stop sign, went 2 feet and the transmission disengaged again. Shifted into drive and reverse, it went enough to get turned around. Turned it off, waited 30 seconds and it drove fine all the way home. p0500 code is still coming on. No clue what to look at next.