ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

need help choosing aftermarket NAV

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-15, 10:22 AM
Aliczander
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help choosing aftermarket NAV

Hello Club Lexus!
I am browsing different OEM Navigations for my 1999 ES300. However, all the ones I am seeing are $800+. Thats CRAZY! So I have decided to go with Aftermarket. They look appealing to the eye and can also have a rear camera integrated. My issue is that I do not know if any of these GPS's are compatible with mi 6 disc CD changer. Is there an Aftermarket GPS that can still utilize my 6 disc?
Thank you!!
Old 05-17-15, 04:24 PM
orion603
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased a pioneer appradio 4. It's not a NAV but comes with Apple's Carplay. The receiver itself is $400 at newegg.com and spent about $120 for parts for my es330. I will be installing it this coming weekend.

For your question, you will need to swap out your stock stereo. Some of aftermarket receivers comes with a DVD player but not 6 CD changer. The appradio 4 specifically, doesn't even come with a dvd player nor cd changer. It's mechless. There are USB ports you can hook up your apple/android devices or you can pair via bluetooth. So, you will need to convert your cds to MP3s.

Last edited by orion603; 05-17-15 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 01:49 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

I am a little baffled - why do you want to pay a lot of money to retrofit a a dying technology ( dash sized Nav units) into a car not easily configured for it?

Hand-held nav units (and now smart phones) have had the edge on in-dash units for a decade or more.
Old 05-18-15, 03:35 PM
orion603
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oro
I am a little baffled - why do you want to pay a lot of money to retrofit a a dying technology ( dash sized Nav units) into a car not easily configured for it?

Hand-held nav units (and now smart phones) have had the edge on in-dash units for a decade or more.
That's a good point....and I indeed took a while to make a decision. I've had a couple of android phones and iphones. Both phones are good enough for me to surf the net, check emails and etc. However, when it comes to driving, phones are not really easy to use. You have to unlock it, mount it, small fonts and icons make it really difficult to use. I wanted to have a unit with navigation function too but knowing that I have to pay even more for that feature while Carplay can be very attractive replacement option that will just do fine with apple map, I decided to spend a couple of hundreds of dollars less. With a capability to hook up a rear view camera, I think I am spending money for my safety and convenience at the same time.

So, I guess I will have to see how safe and convenient it is. My appradio 4 is just shipped.
Old 01-07-17, 10:56 PM
jgcec
Driver

how has your app radio been working?
I am considering buying a 330 or similar older car.
Old 01-08-17, 06:40 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro

i agree with this. especially for an almost 20 year old vehicle. i would make due with a portable unit (perhaps a Garmin, extra phone, or cellular Mini Tablet) rather than spend a lot of money and effort with a retrofit that will probably look and function clunky. look forward to your next car purchase and get OEM Nav/Connectivity. nothing beats the OEM look/integration IMO. good luck.
Old 01-08-17, 01:56 PM
jgcec
Driver

It depends on how long you plan on keeping the car,
as to whether its worth it to an apps compatible head unit.
Also if you get a backup camera with it, that is another safety feature this is nice to have.

I am looking at buying a 2006 330, with 60-80k miles on it.
I might keep the car 5+ years or another 50-100k miles.

The cost is about 400 + 200 install, which is not bad.
The average cost per year in maintenance for a 10 year
old car is probably going to be about $1,000+ average a year.

So it is a relatively low cost if kept that long.