ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Odd water in passenger floorboard, not AC or moonroof tubes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-15, 12:18 PM
TheLandYac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd water in passenger floorboard, not AC or moonroof tubes.

New (to me) 2005 Lexus ES330

When I got it, the passenger floorboards front & back were saturated with water (bought it on a day when it was raining cats & dogs). Nothing else inside the vehicle appeared to be even damp

The compartment in the trunk where the Jack lives was FULL of water, so I thought "water coming in through the trunk & then proceeding through to the passenger floorboard when that compartment was full". Nothing else in the trunk was wet, except a bit of splashing.

Looked at all the threads about the moonroof drains & the AC condensate drains.

Tore the entire lower half of the inside of the car out, just putting the driver-seat back in. The under-pads on the passenger side (beneath the carpet) weighed about 15 pounds EACH. Bottom of the rear seat base (and most telling, mostly the back-end of the seat-base) were saturated, and the back-edge of the seat-base looked a bit mildewed. No dampness on anything above the footwells, so I didn't disassemble the door pillars or the headliner.

All of the moonroof drain tubes drain just fine. Parked uphill, pour, water drains through tubes and right out the back wheelwell. Parked downhill, pour, water drains through tubes right behind front wheelwell.

AC condensate drain completely clear (took it off & blew thru it by lung-power, no obstruction.

No dampness or wetness on the front edge of the passenger kick, where it goes up at an angle. So it's unlikely to be coming in from the front of the car.

Ran it through an automated carwash a few times trying to get it to reproduce the problem, get a tiny dribble around the right taillight where there's a rubber "gasket" around where it bolts to the car inside the trunk...but it's just a dribble. No other sign of water coming in anywhere.

So WTF is the water coming from? Thoughts?

Currently (still) disassembled awaiting any ideas the community might have.
Old 03-12-15, 01:54 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

this might not be all that helpful, but I had a similar issue with the previous model of es300.

in my case, the accumulated water in the boot was caused by the ariel rubber boot. It was simply filling up one fender well, spilling into the tyre well, and then filling the other fender well. I'm guess it took a long time to get to that place. It was an easy thing to fix.
Old 03-12-15, 02:03 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Since you just got the car, I suppose that its possible that the previous owner had accidentally left his sunroof, or window open during a rain storm.

Dry it out as best as possible, and monitor for a recurrent water infiltration over the next little while.
Old 10-29-23, 01:42 AM
rickydonn
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey man, been a long time since you posted this but thought I would take a chance and see if you are still active in the Lexus and community. I was hoping to find out what was causing our water issue. Im dealing with the same thing. Thanks