ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 ES300 Moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-15, 11:50 AM
sam8891
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 ES300 Moonroof

We have a 2002 ES300, and the moonroof leaks. We replaced the seal, but it seems that the leak is coming from the manufactured piece of rubber that is attached to the glass. We ordered a very good used mooonroof that corresponds to being able to fit years 2002-2006 ES300s and ES330s. It will not fit. It seems to be too rounded. In reading about the generations and the transitions into the ES330s, it appears that the body style did not change during this time. Does anyone have any experience replacing the moonroof in their 2002 ES300? And possibly why this replacement will not fit? Thanks.
Old 02-23-15, 12:57 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Are you sure that it's the moonroof seal that's causing the leak? These type of moonroof leaks are usually caused by clogged moonroof drains. Not the seal.

There is a drain at each corner of the moonroof opening. If you look closely you'll find them. One or more my be clogged.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 02-23-15 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-23-15, 06:21 PM
sam8891
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for responding. The drains are clear. The leak is so bad that they cannot keep up with the flow (which is why we have had to vacuum out a gallon of water from the interior). The rubber that is attached to the plastic that is attached to the glass is what is compromised (according to our mechanic). It comes as part of the glass assembly.
Old 02-23-15, 06:58 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Honestly, I very much doubt that it's the seal. Something else is wrong, but I'm not there to see whats going on.

Do you actually see the water dripping inside from the sunroof? Is the headliner wet?

Pour some water along the sunroof rails. Does the water drain out underneath the car? If not, where does the water end up?

Phil
Old 02-23-15, 07:13 PM
sam8891
Driver School Candidate

The only place we ever saw the water was around the handle in the headliner in the rear passenger side. The floor in the same area is where most of the water pooled. Some ended up in the front passenger floor (though this may have been due to how it was parked). It only took two rains to get it into the shop as we have no garage to keep it under cover. There it has been for 2 months. We hesitate on allowing them to order a new Lexus moonroof assembly, which is why we ordered one from Ebay (though it did not fit). Just reaching out as we have our doubts, as well. With all the freezing temps and snow, we have not been in any position to attempt figuring it out ourselves.
Old 02-23-15, 08:02 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

My bet is still on one or more of the drains being plugged.

Even with the moonroof not completely closed, let's say 1/4" gap, and assuming all the drains are clear, no water should come in. The drains should be Able to handle it.

If on the other hand a drain is sluggish or plugged, than all bets are off.

Phil
Old 02-26-15, 08:05 AM
sam8891
Driver School Candidate

After taking everything into consideration, we are going to question our mechanic on how he is certain the drain plugs are clear. My husband said that he actually poured water into the front passenger side corner, when closed, and the water ran in the headliner. For a temporary fix, he put clear silicone on that corner, and that didn't even really work. My question was, "what happened to that corner, suddenly, that made it leak?" He says the rubber looks "buggered up" a bit. No EVENT occurred that would have compromised it. I don't know, but I agree that there is not anything "out there" on faulty, leaking moon roofs....unless they are cracked
Old 02-26-15, 08:47 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

I'm not clear where your husband applied the silicone, but that was not a good idea. You, or your mechanic should really start by making sure that that all 4 drains are clear and functioning properly

If necessary, compressed air should be blown into each one..

Try what I suggested in my previous reply (Post No: 4) about pouring some water on the tracks.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 02-26-15 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-26-15, 09:55 AM
sam8891
Driver School Candidate

When you suddenly have a gallon of water in your car, and no way to get the car under cover, silicone was the quickest thought. He just put it along the edge (on top) in the corner where it seemed to be leaking. I have read these posts to him, and after continued research, he is going to have our guy double check. What you say makes a lot of sense. It could even, likely, be a crimping from being on a lift....so I will try to look back and see when it was in the shop (for other than this leak). I recall riding in the back seat some months back and having a couple of drops of water on me from the handle area.....so it has been going on a little while.....just not to this degree. Thank you for your input. I will let you know what comes of this. I greatly appreciate the guidance.
Old 03-23-15, 03:33 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Did you ever resolve the problem? Please post so that it will help others in the same predicament.

Phil
Old 04-01-15, 05:57 AM
sam8891
Driver School Candidate

Default Resolution

It was a LONG process, because we were not willing to spend $1000 on a new moon roof on a "hunch" that was the issue. We finally found one on ebay for $200, it was installed, and we just picked up the car last night. It was also a rainy night. No problems/no leaks. Thanks for your input, as it was a major source of frustration.