ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Es300 or Es330, which to buy?

Old 02-05-15, 05:28 AM
Maineguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Es300 or Es330, which to buy?

I've ruled out the Gs300 because of rear wheel drive with all the snow we get here in Maine. I'm currently looking at a one owner, 1999, Es300 with 148k miles ($3995) at a local used car dealer. My wife is not too happy about buying such an old Lexus. I'm also looking at a 2003, Es330 with 150k, but I do not know if it is a one owner car. Any thoughts forum members may have regarding buying much older Es300/330's with about 150k miles would be appreciated.
Old 02-05-15, 10:40 AM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Maineguy
I've ruled out the Gs300 because of rear wheel drive with all the snow we get here in Maine.
... and you want a two wheel drive (front wheels) large executive sedan ? I'd get a Subaru personally. (subaru legacy 3.0 turbo 2008)

My wife is not too happy about buying such an old Lexus.
.. are her reservations based on wanting something flashy or something newer because it's more reliable (FYI that isn't always how it works out). Basically, this comes down to budget, and values. I like to drive a nice car but I won't put huge $$ into it. So I tend to buy a car that needs mechanical repairs and do them myself because I can.

... I do not know if it is a one owner car. .
.. it doesnt matter how many owners a car has had. It only matters how well it was treated by each on. I wouldn't worry about the number of owners. I'd worry about service records, and condition, and the mechanical check that you pay for (results of). I've bought 10 owner cars that were far nicer than the 4 owner cars I've had.

re: 150k miles, most ppl will say that's fairly low for a lexus, but it should affect value a bit.

as above. get a subaru. learn about the models of Subaru and how they differ, what they have to offer. I like the 6cyl engine in the 2004 and above cars, (sedans for me), it's about 280hp, and it's very smooth. The driveline in the subaru's is just great, you'll love it on Maine roads all year round. An ES300 would suck in Winter, but it would be very comfortable when you get stuck.

Last edited by ES300NZ; 02-05-15 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-05-15, 11:43 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

If you can live with some DBW lag, then 4th generation ES without a doubt. It's built incredibly well, many believe the build quality and material quality is better than even the current ES and without a doubt better than the generation that came after it.

The 4ES is a different car than the 3ES. It's a lot more comfort oriented, IMO.
Old 02-05-15, 11:44 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ES300NZ
... and you want a two wheel drive (front wheels) large executive sedan ? I'd get a Subaru personally. (subaru legacy 3.0 turbo 2008)

.. are her reservations based on wanting something flashy or something newer because it's more reliable (FYI that isn't always how it works out). Basically, this comes down to budget, and values. I like to drive a nice car but I won't put huge $$ into it. So I tend to buy a car that needs mechanical repairs and do them myself because I can.

.. it doesnt matter how many owners a car has had. It only matters how well it was treated by each on. I wouldn't worry about the number of owners. I'd worry about service records, and condition, and the mechanical check that you pay for (results of). I've bought 10 owner cars that were far nicer than the 4 owner cars I've had.

re: 150k miles, most ppl will say that's fairly low for a lexus, but it should affect value a bit.

as above. get a subaru. learn about the models of Subaru and how they differ, what they have to offer. I like the 6cyl engine in the 2004 and above cars, (sedans for me), it's about 280hp, and it's very smooth. The driveline in the subaru's is just great, you'll love it on Maine roads all year round. An ES300 would suck in Winter, but it would be very comfortable when you get stuck.
I'd have to disagree with the ES300/330 sucking in the winter.

With the proper tires, it's a beast. In fact, even with all-seasons it's done great in over a foot of unplowed-snow.

Subaru's have plenty of engine problems, head gaskets on older models and oil consumption on newer models.
Old 02-05-15, 12:02 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My wife is not too happy about buying such an old Lexus.
Your wife always win. Get what she wants or you are a dead man....or you will hear about it for the next 50 years.
Old 02-05-15, 12:52 PM
Maineguy
Driver School Candidate

I agree with BDSL....happy wife, happy life! ! I do not want a SUBARU, I hate them. They have a really following up here in Maine with the "tree huggers"... the Subaru has been voted the "Maine car". With more than 2 owners its very difficult to find the "paper trail" behind the car and you have no idea as to how it was driven or taken care of. I do not want a car that has had 4-5 different brands of oil run through the engine. I know that the Es models are the way to go, I just need to know which years may be the better of them all between 1999-2004 or so.
Old 02-05-15, 03:20 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hypervish
I'd have to disagree ... with the proper tires, ... it's done great in over a foot of unplowed-snow.
.. I never would have expect that. But my experience of snow was from living in Finland for several years.
Old 02-05-15, 03:28 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

I agree with BDSL....happy wife, happy life! ! I do not want a SUBARU, I hate them. They have a really following up here in Maine with the "tree huggers"... the Subaru has been voted the "Maine car".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_ES

All cars have issues. Toyota/Lexus are the same as any manufacturer in that respect. Perhaps the Rx300 might be more suitable, I was just suggesting the Subaru because I know they cope well with snow.

The 3rd Generation car is 1996 - 2001, the Fourth 2001 - 2003. There isn't a 'better' so much as 'different' aspect about them. The Third and fourth generations have the same engine pretty much.
Old 02-05-15, 03:42 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I have an 2006 ES330 with 138K on the clock. Great car that looks and rides like new. Check out the ownership history and go on My Lexus and check out the Lexus service history.

I wouldn't buy an 99 (I like them) but the 03 is a better car.
Old 02-05-15, 03:43 PM
brucelee1
Racer

PS-Don't buy a Subaru, they are junk. Just Google head gasket and Subaru and you will discover a world of hurt.

I speak from experience.
Old 02-05-15, 03:44 PM
brucelee1
Racer

On the snow issue, I have an ES with winter tires. No issues on the snow or ice.
Old 02-05-15, 04:00 PM
jltait
Driver School Candidate

I've owned a '98, '03, and '05 ES, and have had the pleasure of driving both the '98 and '03 extensively in the Massachusetts snow. The only one car accident I've ever been in was in the '03. Hit a patch of ice and slid into a curb, destroying the driver's side control arm in the process. To the car's credit it was trying like hell to pull out of that slide. Traction control was going nuts, flashing and beeping like crazy.

Any who, this is definitely not the car to have in Maine. No executive sedan is suited for that environment. The RX holds its value a bit better so will be more expensive, but the ground clearance and awd may save your life. I would even look for an older one like a '98; No variable valve timing so you won't have to go throwing money at a new timing belt as soon as you get your license plates. If you're not spooked by DIY the MB ML-class or E 4matic is also a great value and comfortable car (yes, heresy on this forum). There's a fine vehicle for sticking it to those Subaru driving tree-huggers.
Old 02-05-15, 04:47 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

I love the interior and general quality and virtues of our 02 ES. That is the style 02-05 (still a 300 in 02 and 03 and then 330 04 and 05). A neighbor as a '14 and I honestly prefer the '02 interior. i think the 02-05 is the least attractive exterior of all the es generations, but I can tolerate it for the other qualities.

I lived in northern VT for a several years (did not have a lexus then - Audi - god I hate Subarus, too), and I drive ours in snow a few times a year here in WA. So I understand snow. It's as fine a snow car as any FWD will be and if you put decent tires on it you'd likely not need chains very much unless it was a "gotta go" kinda situation and the plows hadn't rolled yet.

Actually thinking back on VT, NH, ME roads, the ES would make a fine car in that environment with long distances and back highways being the typical usage. the 02+ has a 5 speed tranny that gets you an MPG boost and I appreciate that fact, too. The DBW issue is not a big deal to me since I/we use it as a "sedan" and not a "fun to drive" vehicle. our 02 has 233k on it and runs like new (I do thorough maintenance) and it looks 9.5/10, too. Great car we will have for years and years more I expect.

Last edited by Oro; 02-05-15 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-05-15, 06:12 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brucelee1
PS-Don't buy a Subaru, they are junk. Just Google head gasket and Subaru and you will discover a world of hurt.

I speak from experience.
I never knew about this: thank you for pointing it out.

Reference: http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-...ems-explained/
Old 02-06-15, 05:11 AM
Maineguy
Driver School Candidate

ORO, thanks for confirming what I thought about the drivability in the snow of the Es300. I once was considering a the Gs300 that was on CL but decided against it because of the RWD. I had 2 Mercedes and I had no problem driving them with Michelin MXV4 all season radials, but I think FWD is a no brainer. I currently drive a '99 Saab 9-5 and its great in the snow with MXV4's.
I am checking out a '97, Es300 (120k) by a local person who is selling it for the estate of his mother who just died. Its a one owner, bought new, non-smoker, locally serviced car (not a Lexus dealer), oil changed every 3k, no rust, garage kept car. I do not know anything about the '97, but if is what he says it is, I will buy it on Tuesday. He is asking $3800, but I think it worth about $3k. What are your thoughts on a '97 Es300 at the asking price? Any thought on a '97 Es300? I have personally have no problem buying very old one owner cars if they have been cared for.

Last edited by Maineguy; 02-06-15 at 05:27 AM. Reason: wrong spelling on a few words

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Es300 or Es330, which to buy?