ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1999 ES300 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 01:34 PM
groovie001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 ES300 purchase

I've been trying to do my homework, but still can't get off the fence on a 1999 Lexus ES300 purchase for my daughters first car.

Here are the details. Has had one owner since new, an older lady that really seems to have taken care of it (no hot rodding it to church). It does have 163K on the original motor, but here's the kicker...it's been sitting for at least 5 years. I put a new battery in it and the starter sounds great but it does not kick over. Oil looks good, transmission fluid was black though? Never seen that before.

Really don't want to get into a money pit. Any thoughts or help by you experts would be great.

Thanks
Old 09-18-14, 02:05 PM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by groovie001
I've been trying to do my homework, but still can't get off the fence on a 1999 Lexus ES300 purchase for my daughters first car.

Here are the details. Has had one owner since new, an older lady that really seems to have taken care of it (no hot rodding it to church). It does have 163K on the original motor, but here's the kicker...it's been sitting for at least 5 years. I put a new battery in it and the starter sounds great but it does not kick over. Oil looks good, transmission fluid was black though? Never seen that before.

Really don't want to get into a money pit. Any thoughts or help by you experts would be great.

Thanks
If you're saying it's cranking but does not really start, sounds like a fuel related issue. My first thought would be the fuel pump that has either been sitting idle in a pool of gas (or empty tank). I would start by sitting in the car doors and windows closed and stereo off, put the key in the ignition, turn it to the on position (not accessory) and listen for the pump kicking in (silent 'buzz' or hum). If you hear nothing, there is your problem.
Old 09-18-14, 02:33 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

If the car worked before t was stored, than it could be that the 5 year old fuel is contaminated.

More worrisome however is the black transmission fluid. If in addition it smells burnet, it's probably on its way out.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 09-18-14 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-18-14, 09:21 PM
jenga
Driver School Candidate

Gas goes bad after awhile, especially if it has ethanol in it. Best best would be to remove as much as possible and add new gas. If you get it running, you may want to dump some techron in to clean the injectors.

I just changed my trans fluid this weekend (drain and fill). The car has 116K on it and probably still the original fluid. I have read that Toyota type IV fluid grays as it ages. My was darker gray but smelt fine. Changed it out with Maxlife synthetic...all good.
Old 09-19-14, 08:07 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why has it been sitting for 5 years? If it isn't running I'd run.
Old 09-19-14, 10:41 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A sitting car can be in pretty bad shape if it wasn't stored properly. I'd easily bet the car needs new tires. I would change all the fluids. I'd probably consider changing the timing belt. Theres a lot to consider. If you're around the bay area, theres always tons of decent 3ES on the market, asking prices are a tad high though...

My opinion would be if you aren't doing the work yourself, i'd skip this one.
Old 09-19-14, 10:43 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

The worst thing you can do with a car, is let it sit. You won't think about all the rubber seals and rubber parts in the car, but since it's already 15 years old, they will be in bad shape. That car will clunk like no tomorrow especially with our sensitive suspensions. I would say its not worth it, especially since it doesn't run.
Old 09-19-14, 11:52 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't think it would be a money pit, but I would definitely want a substantial discount to one that is running and hasn't been sitting that long.

You could have a gummed up fuel pump and/or injectors, etc from the gasoline turning to varnish. You may be able to get by just putting some solvent and fresh gas through it, but I would go in with the idea that you'll have to replace the fuel pump. You'll also need 4 new tires.

Unless it's "showroom new" (doubtful since it has 163k miles) anything over $2,000 and I would look elsewhere.

At least in this area, you can get a similar year ES with similar miles and without all those issues for under $3,000.
Old 09-19-14, 02:55 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by wise2k
I would start by sitting in the car doors and windows closed and stereo off, put the key in the ignition, turn it to the on position (not accessory) and listen for the pump kicking in (silent 'buzz' or hum). If you hear nothing, there is your problem.
This is not true with the 3ES. The fuel pump only kicks on during cranking, so you won't hear it with the key on.
Old 09-19-14, 03:27 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I know my way around cars ... far to well. I'd run screaming from a sitting car. But here's what you 'could' be in for.

- damage to brakes (brake fluid is hydroscopic).
- rubber seals, all of them, everywhere.
- insect infestations (very very common).
- ruined rubber hoses, all of them, everywhere, especially inside the car.
- ruined brake hoses.
- stuff tyres.
- ruined shocks (corrosion at resting point).
- worn paint: car covers abrade the paint.
- ruined exhaust piping: water rests (condensation) in the pipes, eats them out.
- ruined foam in the seats: the high heat in the car can cause it to brake up.
- ruined engine: pitting in the cylinder bores, the rust gets cleaned off the first time the engine runs, it seems ok, but a month later it's pooring water into the oil and knocking like you would not believe.

There is ALWAYS a good reason why a car gets parked up. It's not really always the one your told.
Old 09-20-14, 07:54 AM
groovie001
Driver School Candidate

Thank you to all for the advice. It's hard to walk away from the car considering it's looks showroom condition (inside and out). But the sitting factor and the amount of work that could be involved...I could wide up replacing most every component. I'm going to walk away from this one. Thanks again.
Old 09-20-14, 09:46 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by groovie001
Thank you to all for the advice. It's hard to walk away from the car considering it's looks showroom condition (inside and out). But the sitting factor and the amount of work that could be involved...I could wide up replacing most every component. I'm going to walk away from this one. Thanks again.
Go with your gut, and it sounds like you made up your mind, but I honestly think some of potential scenarios discussed are over the top.

Even if the car had been regularly driven, it still is going to have service issues when you're talking about a 15 year old vehicle with 163,000 miles. An example, my Lexus has never been sitting that long and has less miles, but it's had the fuel pump replaced twice.

The biggest thing I would want to know is WHY it sat for as long as it did. Was it because the woman had health issues or did it just die and no one ever wanted to put the money in to fix it? Also, was it stored inside a garage?

I know if I was in the position and the one owner had all the records, the car was in mint condition, but the only flaw was that it had sat for a while in a garage, I wouldn't dismiss it IF the price was right and they were willing to give a discount for the fact it doesn't run. Most of the ES's that are are in that price range have been beat to hell. It's hard to get people to take care of a car when it's been several owners and the car is only worth $3k-$4k.

I'd personally rather take my chances with the "mint" condition one that had been sitting and have a few thousand in reserve for potential issues down the road than pay full price for one. But if she wants full price or more and won't budge, than I would walk.