ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1997 ES300 needs new engine or should I sell it

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-14, 06:40 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rikkistein
I really can't part the car out. Don't have the space or the knowledge or the time to do that. The price my mechanic quoted me is real. However, he would be the last person I would give the job to. I really think he is more to blame for this mess than anyone else.
ugh thats a frustrating situation man, good luck i hope you squeeze what you can out of it, if you really cant part it out then try to sell it as a whole but i suggest you check around for prices to see if they are better than any offers you get. Maybe on craigslist you can advertise it and say whoever come can take the piece they need off themselves
Old 09-01-14, 10:56 AM
rikkistein
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackIRON
ugh thats a frustrating situation man, good luck i hope you squeeze what you can out of it, if you really cant part it out then try to sell it as a whole but i suggest you check around for prices to see if they are better than any offers you get. Maybe on craigslist you can advertise it and say whoever come can take the piece they need off themselves
I'm going to get a second opinion on whether the engine is shot or not. I'm also going to check out the certified pre-owned cars that Lexus has to offer. I don't feel comfortable getting a much older car since I need the comfort of a warranty and easy maintenance. Thanks again for everyone's input. I will keep you posted on what the outcome is.
Old 09-01-14, 05:54 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get that car to me and I'll drop a used engine with new gaskets and seals in it for $2,000 or less. I can get used engines all day long for around $500 and spen another $200 or so in gaskets and seals and another $200 gets a new water pump, TB, pulleys, cam seals and tensioner. Thats about $900 in parts and $1,100 in labor.
Old 09-03-14, 12:49 AM
rikkistein
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mythotical
Get that car to me and I'll drop a used engine with new gaskets and seals in it for $2,000 or less. I can get used engines all day long for around $500 and spen another $200 or so in gaskets and seals and another $200 gets a new water pump, TB, pulleys, cam seals and tensioner. Thats about $900 in parts and $1,100 in labor.
If only you weren't in Montana.

I have a question for you (and anyone else who might know) Does a bad tensioner sound similar to a thrown rod.. in that they both make a knocking noise? I read somewhere that a bad tensioner is often misdiagnosed. And if it were the tensioner, is the repair still cost prohibitive?
Old 09-03-14, 06:28 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

It can but when you say oil light, just loosing oil pressure for a split second under load will usually take out a rod bearing. I had lost oil pressure for a tenth of a second in my 98 es under full load at 5,000 RPM and the #1 rod bearing evaporated. I think your #1 rod bearing may be wiped and the engine is also probably loaded with sludge. If the knock is really light and you have oil pressure, you may be able to get by just changing the rod bearing. If I were you I would pull the pans, upper and lower, then pull the cap off of your #1 rod bearing. Inspect the crank journal really closely and if there is no damage and the engine is original and had not been rebuilt, you can simply replace the rod bearing with a stock sized bearing. If there is damage to the journal, you have not really lost anything.
Old 09-04-14, 04:12 PM
rikkistein
Driver School Candidate

It can but when you say oil light, just loosing oil pressure for a split second under load will usually take out a rod bearing. I had lost oil pressure for a tenth of a second in my 98 es under full load at 5,000 RPM and the #1 rod bearing evaporated. I think your #1 rod bearing may be wiped and the engine is also probably loaded with sludge. If the knock is really light and you have oil pressure, you may be able to get by just changing the rod bearing. If I were you I would pull the pans, upper and lower, then pull the cap off of your #1 rod bearing. Inspect the crank journal really closely and if there is no damage and the engine is original and had not been rebuilt, you can simply replace the rod bearing with a stock sized bearing. If there is damage to the journal, you have not really lost anything.
I have a Lexus mechanic coming out tonight to listen to the engine. I will tell him what you have suggested. He would have to take the car to his shop to do the work but I think it's worth trying. It is the original engine with about 178K miles on it. The other mechanics who changed the sensor told me they also put a thicker grade oil in the engine to help lubricate it which probably added to the problem. I don't know if there is still oil pressure because the oil light has never come back on since they changed the sensor.. which also makes no sense to me. I'm getting a quite an education in engine repair here. I thank you so much for all the advice.
Old 09-04-14, 07:27 PM
rikkistein
Driver School Candidate

The news isn't good. The Lexus mechanic confirmed that it is indeed a blown engine. Time for a new car. He will ask around to see if anyone wants to buy the car and fix it for themselves. I know I have one interested party for $650. I hope I can get a little more. I'm so sad to see this car go. Thanks everyone for all your help.
Old 09-04-14, 07:41 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

What! Blown engine and no oil light makes no sense. Can you drive it? Dose it still have any power? I bet that if it still has power, you probably just galled up some bearings. As long as you have oil pressure, you have a chance. Hows the body and interior? If good, I'd give you $800 or so if you want to get out of it. In fact I have a nephew who lives in Reseda who could pick it up for me.

Last edited by Mythotical; 09-04-14 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 06:24 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

IMHO: Take the $800 and buy another car....... Along with a box of tissues for the tears.
Old 09-05-14, 07:15 AM
rikkistein
Driver School Candidate

What! Blown engine and no oil light makes no sense. Can you drive it? Dose it still have any power? I bet that if it still has power, you probably just galled up some bearings. As long as you have oil pressure, you have a chance. Hows the body and interior? If good, I'd give you $800 or so if you want to get out of it. In fact I have a nephew who lives in Reseda who could pick it up for me.
the red oil light did come on yesterday. At first the car sounded fine but when he revved it the clattering and knocking started up again. I asked him if he thought it was just the bearings and he said it would be a lot of labor just to check that out and either way it would be an expensive fix. Best to put another engine in it but a good one is hard to find. If you are serious about buying the car we should talk privately. This mechanic is going to see if he knows anyone who might want it and let me know in a couple of days. The car looks great. I had little fender bender about two years ago on the passenger side fender so I took that opportunity to have the whole car spiffed up at the other person's insurance's expense. She was at fault. The interior leather is all good. The driver seat has some wear but no cracks in the leather. It has heated seats, adjustable suspension and a great sound system. It's really in good shape physically. I've taken good care of it over the years. It's my baby.
Old 09-05-14, 09:29 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Could you post some pictures of the car? Inside and out.
Old 09-05-14, 11:28 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Agree. Im starting to become interested.
Old 09-05-14, 03:07 PM
rikkistein
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I can try to do that. It has not been washed in three months! I've been recovering from surgery and have just let it sit in the garage. There is a hose down there that I could hose it down with but I'd have to get my brother to do all this due to my condition. I can certainly snap some shots during the day when there's some light down there... but I want it to be clean first. Give me a few days to make this happen.
Old 09-05-14, 03:38 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What color is it?
I may be interested in the seats if you decide to part it out.
Old 09-05-14, 10:44 PM
rikkistein
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OceanView
What color is it?
I may be interested in the seats if you decide to part it out.
The exterior is called sage but it looks like silver. The seats are grey leather. It also has a brand new battery that I bought the day before I went into the hospital for $120.

Quick Reply: 1997 ES300 needs new engine or should I sell it