ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Transmission whine after fluid change 120K

Old 05-03-14, 07:47 AM
lderidder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission whine after fluid change 120K

I really need some advice and any help would be so greatly appreciated! My sweet Lexus ES 300' 2003, 120K miles, never had any trouble whatsoever, just had its transmission fluid changed and immediately began to whine. It never whined before.
I only took it in because the occasional slightly choppy shift bothered my boyfriend when he drove it and he suggested that I take it in. I wish I had ignored him....it has always had an occasional, intermittent, slight lurch. It never whined, though, until I picked it up from the garage.
The mechanic said he would recommend changing the fluid and filter. He swears all he did was drain and replace. He said there was a little bit of metal in the pan but not too much. He is as baffled as I am as to why it whines now.
Can anyone shed any light on this situation? Thanks!
Old 05-03-14, 07:52 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure it was filled with proper fluid, up to right level.
Old 05-03-14, 01:24 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

How did he know there was metal in the pan, when he said he did a drain and fill?
Old 05-03-14, 03:11 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Did the guy use the right fluid, T-4? If not, that is your issue.
Old 05-04-14, 04:22 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Questions.

1. When was the last time transmission fluid was changed?
2. What fluid was used?
3. Was the proper amount of fluid added (i.e. check dip stick)?
4. Why didn't your boyfriend change the fluid himself?
5. Is your boyfriend replaceable just like your transmission?
Old 05-05-14, 05:11 AM
lderidder
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Thanks to all who replied. Answers as follows:
1. When was the last time transmission fluid was changed? This was the first time.
2. What fluid was used? I will find out. At the moment all I know is that the mechanic looked it up online before ordering whatever he put in. (This is the brand new garage of a friend. The kid just opened up and doesn't do anything without looking it up online.)
3. Was the proper amount of fluid added (i.e. check dip stick)? Well I would certainly hope so, and since it's been back in for him to try to find the source of the whine, you'd think it would be right. Is this something I can check myself?
4. Why didn't your boyfriend change the fluid himself? To my knowledge, his only two deficiencies are that he doesn't work on cars, and he tells corny jokes. Plus at the moment we are in a situation where we have no access to tools, lifts, etc.
5. Is your boyfriend replaceable just like your transmission? Oh no. He's one of a kind and it took me about 40 years of prior bad choices to get lucky enough to find him.

By the way, at the moment, the mechanic and I have agreed to try to ignore the whine and hope it goes away on its own, and to wait and see what the users forum has to say about this problem.
Old 05-05-14, 05:46 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Please read your owner's manual. It specifies the change interval for all fluids and parts. Please follow the schedule. I believe your transmission fluid was long over due.

Always double check what the mechanic is using. Check it against your owner's manual. Don't just assume the mechanic knows what he/she is doing. I have caught too many mistakes done by the "mechanics".

You should check all fluid levels regularly. See owner's manual for procedures.

Please don't ignore the whine. It can cause a bigger (more expensive) problem.

Btw, my 97 ES300 was at 280k miles. The transmission and engine were still good. I changed transmission fluid as per schedule.
Old 05-05-14, 08:38 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by lderidder
By the way, at the moment, the mechanic and I have agreed to try to ignore the whine and hope it goes away on its own, and to wait and see what the users forum has to say about this problem.
Red flag time. Your mechanic wants you to wait and hope the noise goes away on it's own? And wants to wait and see what forum members say?

Time for a new mechanic.
Old 05-05-14, 12:52 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Your mechanic is a dumbbell.

I bet he used Dex in there instead of T-4. If he did, that is a very big no/no.
Old 05-05-14, 07:31 PM
lderidder
Driver School Candidate

I found out that the product used was Castrol Part # 06814, ATF Import MV, 4 quarts, SKU number 8140016. Just reading the description, it sounds like it's ok, but I really don't know. Here's the description:
"Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid is specially designed from a technologically advanced multi-vehicle formula that does not have the limitations of a traditional DEXRON®-III/MERCON® multi-vehicle formulation. Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF exceeds the requirements of the JASO-1A performance standard created by Japanese Automobile Manufacturers. This standard is recognized by Japanese OEMs in certifying ATF for use in their vehicles. Furthermore, while Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF is designed to meet the demanding requirements of many foreign transmissions, it also meets the requirements of many domestic vehicles as well. This includes many DaimlerChrysler, General Motors, and Ford vehicles. Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF is fully licensed and approved under Ford MERCON® V.

Product Features:
Enhanced friction durability for smooth transmission performance
Exceptional high-temperature protection to effectively resist fluid oxidation
Superb low-temperature fluidity for cold-weather shifting"
Old 05-05-14, 08:10 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Read your owner's manual. It specifies exactly what fluids to use.
Use the right fluid.
Old 05-05-14, 08:15 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Unless it says specifically that it meets or exceeds the Toyota T-IV oil standard than its the wrong oil for your transmission.

Get your mechanic to do several drain and refills within several weeks apart.

Do the first one immediately, and use only the Toyoa T-IV fluid.

Under no circumstances should your mechanic do a transmission flush. No need to change the filter again.

Phil
Old 05-05-14, 09:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Is it really that hard for people to read the label on the bottle?
Old 05-06-14, 04:36 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Your mechanic is a doorknob. Do what PFB says and do it right away.

How hard can this be?
Old 05-06-14, 11:46 AM
lderidder
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks and following your advice

Hi again to all and thanks for the updates. Tomorrow am I am going to go get the right transmission fluid from the Toyota dealer and take it to the mechanic for the first replacement. Then I have a little 300 mile trip to make this weekend, and in another week or so, I'll have him do it again.

Let's see if we can get this whine to stop!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission whine after fluid change 120K