ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Transmission whine after fluid change 120K

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-14, 12:13 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Good. Make sure he doesn't charge you again for the same job!!!
Old 05-06-14, 03:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,703 Likes on 2,288 Posts

You can also use Mobil 3309 which is exactly the same fluid as you get at the dealer. To get most of the old fluid out you're either need to disconnect the return line from the transmission and run the engine to pump out all the old ATF, or do a drain a fill at least 3 times.
Old 05-12-14, 10:24 AM
lderidder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update to transmission whine saga

No, the mechanic didn't charge anything for this replacement and won't for the next couple of replacements either. He's having a hard time believing that this is going to fix the whine but he's willing to try it and see.

I've now driven it on a 300 mile round trip, and it still whines just as much when first started up. Once it's running, you don't hear a thing.

I will wait a month or so, change it again, and wait another month and change it once more. Surely after 3 go-rounds it should stop whining, if the fluid is really the problem.

It just has to be, because it didn't whine one bit before the first trip to the mechanic, and it whined from the moment I picked it up from him. It would be world's wildest coincidence that the transmission would have something new to go wrong with it at precisely the moment I picked the car up from having the fluid changed.

Thanks again!
Old 05-12-14, 03:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,703 Likes on 2,288 Posts

You should not continue to drive the car if the wrong fluid was used. Unless you like replacing transmissions for fun.
Old 05-13-14, 12:04 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a whine in my ES, but after changing to Maxlife ATF, it went away. Remember, if the fluid in your transmission was original (120K), it will have thinned out quite a bit compared to new fluid. Also, Castrol Multi Vehicle ATF, while a good fluid, is very thick compared to T-4 or even Maxlife. The whine may be from your transmission fluid pump complaining it now has to move thicker fluid around. I would keep changing it with T-4, but unless the whine is unbearably loud, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure the fluid level is topped off properly, a lot of people forget you have to check it hot!

Best of luck,
Lawrence
Old 05-19-14, 06:03 AM
lderidder
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Thank you, Lawrence! Now that sounds very reasonable. So far, it just whines loudly when it's cold. Once it's up and running, the whine abates considerably and at time seems to be gone.

I think I will go ahead with the change of fluid a couple more times as has been recommended so far, but not worry too much about this in the meanwhile. I am quite curious to see if the whine will completely go away after the fluid has been replaced a couple more times.
Old 07-05-14, 09:08 AM
mjtaylor2k
Driver School Candidate

Default Did your whine go away?

I just had this exact whine start after replacing my ATF with the same Castrol Oil as you used.
Did you ever get rid of the whine?
Thanks
Old 07-07-14, 04:23 AM
lderidder
Driver School Candidate

@mjtaylor2K: Not yet. Just this past week, the mechanic put in the 2nd change of fluid since the wrong fluid was used. The whine is loudest when the engine is cold, like first thing in the am, and at low speeds. I don't hear anything cruising at 40 mph or more, and it is much quieter when warmed up.
Since the folks who wrote in above said it would take "several" changes, I plan to have the fluid replaced once again at the next oil change - that would be the 3rd replacement - and if it doesn't go away then, I think I will give up and just live with it.
Good luck!
Old 07-11-14, 08:52 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Obviously with the whine coming right after tranny fluid change, it sounds like that is the cause.

But, I had a whine when car was cold. It turned out to be the fluid in my power steering needed to be changed. I changed it and the whine went away. And it is not off the shelf power steering fluid...... And if your mechanic "topped off" the other fluids in the car, did he use the proper ones...
Old 07-11-14, 01:53 PM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As much as I hate stealers, transmission issues/service is one thing I would go to them for rather than a self taught grease monkey.
Old 07-11-14, 02:34 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fortitude
Obviously with the whine coming right after tranny fluid change, it sounds like that is the cause.

But, I had a whine when car was cold. It turned out to be the fluid in my power steering needed to be changed. I changed it and the whine went away. And it is not off the shelf power steering fluid...... And if your mechanic "topped off" the other fluids in the car, did he use the proper ones...

There are too many "professionals" who put the wrong fluid in the PS system, and that is why I have a lot of experience replacing Toyota/Lexus power steering pumps and racks. As for the transmission whine, I wonder if resetting the ECU could be a fix. It is an electronically controlled transmission, maybe a slight change in normal line pressure is causing the ECU to be out of calibration.
Old 07-14-14, 01:21 PM
lderidder
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all of you. I will definitely look into the possibility that the power steering fluid could need a change and you better believe I will get whatever fluid the owner's manual says to use.

I've had the car on a 1000 mile road trip this last 4 days and I must say the whine is much abated, indeed almost gone. I still am going to change the transmission fluid one last time just to be sure.

As for taking it to a pro....yes, I agree. There were certain circumstances that would have made it very awkward to go somewhere else before giving this person a try (his mother-in-law is my best friend and is currently providing me with a place to live), so to take my car to a competitor would have been "treason" - but now that I have had some experiences (3 unrelated goof ups) upon which to hang my hat, I have justification for going elsewhere. I love my friend and she's been great to help me, but if I keep doing business with the family I will soon not have a car. So the next trip is definitely going to be to the pros.

When I get just a minute I will start another thread about one of those experiences...involves accusations that my former mechanic up in Baltimore did not do his job in changing out the timing belt- totally untrue....but it's an interesting story.
Old 12-23-23, 12:16 AM
ChrisCosta
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone else have this issue and find the solution?