ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1993 ES 300 Tach & Speedo needles don't light up

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 07:56 PM
1luvlex2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 ES 300 Tach & Speedo needles don't light up

Hello I am a new member, please cut me some slack as I am not familiar with this process. I have a 1993 ES 300 and the tach and speedometer needles do not light up . The tach needle lights up frequently, but the speedometer needle doesn't light up at all. I took the cluster out and switched the two needles with each other. Then the tach needle didn't work and the speedometer needle worked frequently. This leads me to believe the problem is with the needles. Does anyone know where I can get new needles for this? Any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks! 1luvlex2
Old 03-04-14, 04:32 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1luvlex2
Hello I am a new member, please cut me some slack as I am not familiar with this process. I have a 1993 ES 300 and the tach and speedometer needles do not light up . The tach needle lights up frequently, but the speedometer needle doesn't light up at all. I took the cluster out and switched the two needles with each other. Then the tach needle didn't work and the speedometer needle worked frequently. This leads me to believe the problem is with the needles. Does anyone know where I can get new needles for this? Any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks! 1luvlex2
Hey there,

I recently had the same problem and replaced both the needles your having problems with.

If you feel so inclined there is a thread on here about repairing your needles so the tips light up as a solution to the flickering or not working at all. It's not something everyone is keen on doing tho, I went for replacement instead of repair. Use the search function for es300 needle repair and the thread will come up,

Alternatively there are often ES300 needles for sale on Ebay. You may have a wreckers near you that will actually separate them from the cluster but many won't.

Finally and I'm not sure if this is ok or not, so if it's not ok just edit it out mods as I am not a "verified trader" and nobody can "vouch" for me..

I have 3 or 4 sets of needles which I got from wreckers, and a set I ordered from ebay. I just grabbed extra at the wreckers as I didn't have a battery with me to test them on the spot, my need for them became urgent and I couldn't wait for the ones I ordered on ebay which is why I have them.

They are all factory OEM orange needles. They are all second hand out of wrecked vehicles, but I've tested them all for quite some time - I hooked them up and just left them on over a couple of hours one evening. I am in New Zealand, but posting to the USA is no problem. I would sell 2 large needles (speedo & tacho) for $30USD + postage + any paypal fees. Thats less than I paid on ebay but I didn't get them to sell and make money on it would just be good to get something back and they might as well have a home,I've got more than I'm ever likely to need,

I would also be prepared to offer a 30 day warranty on them - if the fail or start to flicker within 30 days, I will replace them, if you pay the postage.

I will try and dig out my webcam and take a couple of quick photos perhaps.

Sorry if not ok mods just thought I might be able to help, but gave some other options too.

Last edited by gtstcactus; 03-05-14 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-05-14, 10:45 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

We can help. We have a lifetime warranty with our needles and backlighting.

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/L...ter_repair.htm

We can also ship you good used OEM needles if you just want to go that route (no warranty)
www.taninautoelectronix.com