ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Engine Oil Flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-13, 02:56 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Flush

1992 Windom / ES300

I'm going to do an oil change as soon as the weather allows....

I was planning to use a bottle of Repco Engine Oil Flush prior to draining the oil, it says pour 1 bottle into engine oil and run car for 15 minutes, then change oil & filter. The oil I've got to put in is Shell Helix HX5.

Is this likely to cause any great problems??? Looking at youtube and some comments around the net I can't quite tell what the deal is - some folk swear by it, others say it's the worst thing you could do other than run the engine with no oil...

The car has a largely unknown service history. I have no idea when the oil was last changed. I have no idea if there is sludge build up, tho from what I gather the 3VZ-FE was not prone to sludge problems. However if the oil hasn't been changed for a very long time is sludge going to be a problem??

I would use Seafoam but it isn't readily available here in New Zealand, I can probably get some over the net but that will have to wait until next time.
Old 12-28-13, 09:25 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

You're not saying what milage/km your car has, but it really doesn't matter. Whatever it has, DON'T do an oil flush. You can end up damaging the engine.

Just do a normal oil and filter change. Get the Lexus oil filter. They're not expensive.

Synthetic oil is optional, but preferable, and make sure that you use the specified oil viscosity, and change it at the specified intervals.

Don't use any other additives.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 12-28-13 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-28-13, 10:09 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're worried about sludge, drop the oil pan and check oil screen/pickup tube and check for sludge.
Old 12-28-13, 10:47 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PFB
You're not saying what milage/km your car has, but it really doesn't matter. Whatever it has, DON'T do an oil flush. You can end up damaging the engine.

Just do a normal oil and filter change. Get the Lexus oil filter. They're not expensive.

Synthetic oil is optional, but preferable, and make sure that you use the specified oil viscosity, and change it at the specified intervals.

Don't use any other additives.

Phil
The vehicle has 211,000 KMS on the clock. The oil is a semi synthetic - Shell Helix HX5 10w40. It is my intention now that I own the car to regularly maintain and service it as best I can, which is why I went and got some of the stuff I need for doing so. It's probably cost more than an oil change would have at pit stop or somewhere similar but I'm looking at it long term as an investment.

So what is sea foam doing? Is that not an engine oil flush? Just would like to understand the difference between an oil flush using product X and using sea foam in the same manner...

Last edited by gtstcactus; 12-28-13 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-28-13, 10:58 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitmaks
If you're worried about sludge, drop the oil pan and check oil screen/pickup tube and check for sludge.
It's not so much that I'm worries about sludge.

It just that I want to do the best I can for the vehicle based on my limited mechanics skills and knowledge. So I figured oil & filter was a good option as it may not have been done for years, it may have been done 5000kms ago, I just don't know. I was just unsure if I should do a flush or not.
Like I said before I'd have gone for Seafoam if it were more readily available here in NZ.

Phil when you say don't use any additives are you of the mind Seafoam is also not a good idea?
Old 12-28-13, 11:03 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Why do you insist on doing an oil flush? Its like playing Russian Roulettes.

If you follow the advise in my previous reply to you, you will be doing the best thing you can for your car. Forget about everything else.

Also, I believe that your engine calls for 5W-30 Oil and not 10W-40. Check your car manual, or the oil filler cap for the correct viscosity. Using the wrong oil viscosity will harm your engine in the long run. Don't overfill.

I've never personally used Seafoam, nor will I ever use it, or any similar products. Too many horror stories, plus I have no reason to use it. My engine has 175,000km, and it's running perfectly.

I do regular oil and filter changes (Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30), with Lexus oil filter, changed at 5,000km intervals.

Save your money, and instead change you coolant using Toyota coolant, and do the timing belt change on schedule, and any other scheduled maintenance on time .

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 12-28-13 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-28-13, 11:43 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Phil,

I don't insist on doing an engine oil flush! I was at the auto shop, got some oil & a filter. Also purchased some engine oil flush. Then decided before using said flush to do a little reading on the net, decided it may not be a good idea and asked! I''ve pretty much talked myself out of the flush after what I've read, your reply etc.

Yes I believe after checking your right about the oil viscosity, all the 5w-30 cost triple the 10w-40 shell helix i got which was on special. Looks like I'm going back to the auto shop and will be broke when I leave!

Hopefully it will save me $$ in the long term tho, thanks for your advice phil.

I didn't realise 10w-40 would be so bad in the engine. I'll seek out some affordable 5w-30.

THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD NOT ASK FOR HELP FORM THE AUTO STORE PEOPLE.

Originally Posted by PFB
Why do you insist on doing an oil flush? Its like playing Russian Roulettes.

If you follow the advise in my previous reply to you, you will be doing the best thing you can for your car. Forget about everything else.

Also, I believe that your engine calls for 5W-30 Oil and not 10W-40. Check your car manual, or the oil filler cap for the correct viscosity. Using the wrong oil viscosity will harm your engine in the long run. Don't overfill.

I've never personally used Seafoam, nor will I ever use it, or any similar products. Too many horror stories, plus I have no reason to use it. My engine has 175,000km, and it's running perfectly.

Regular oil and filter changes (Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30), with Lexus oil filter, changed at 5,000km intervals.
Old 12-28-13, 11:44 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

just realised the stuff I got is 15W-40 too...
Old 12-28-13, 11:51 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Smart move. Enjoy your car.

Phil
Old 12-29-13, 10:55 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

I think the temperature here in NZ might have something to do with why the shop recommended something other than 5w30

Both major chains auto recommend 10w50 or 15w40 here in NZ. Apparently they check Penzoil and website or ref book and a couple of others.

I think I'll wait until Lexus/Toyota has a mechanic on site and see what they say for the vehicle in New Zealand.....

It don't get as cold here as it does in much of the USA/Canada
Old 12-29-13, 11:29 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Always use the viscosity that is specified in your owner's manual, or on the oil filler cap. If you have the owners mannual it's better to refer to it, as it give you additional graphic information as to which oils to use for various ambient temperatures.

Those specifications, are specific to the geographical location where the vehicle was originally sold. In you case it's New Zeland.

Don't listen to anyone else's advise, not even to the dealer's mechanics. If you speak to a few different mechanics, you will more than likely get different opinions. Although they all may mean well, they don't have the knowledge of the Toyota engineers that had originally deigned that engine.

And as I said, those specifications are specific to New Zeland. So stick to what Toyota/Lexus recommends.

Last edited by PFB; 12-29-13 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-29-13, 12:14 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get 5W-40 synthetic, it will be great for cold winters, hot summers. Using 10W30 instead of 5W30 will not damage your engine, not changing your oil and using cheap fram filter will damage your engine.
Old 12-29-13, 02:34 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Ok I've been to Lexus / Toyota talked with the chap running the service department. He said to use the 15w40 which is what I'd got to begin with.

He said that's what they use on my vintage Windom / ES300 that come thru their doors...

So on that basis I shall proceed with what I've got.

Looking at the chart posted above that fits with the temperatures we get here also...
Old 12-29-13, 06:56 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gtstcactus
Ok I've been to Lexus / Toyota talked with the chap running the service department. He said to use the 15w40 which is what I'd got to begin with.

He said that's what they use on my vintage Windom / ES300 that come thru their doors...

So on that basis I shall proceed with what I've got.

Looking at the chart posted above that fits with the temperatures we get here also...
He is totally WRONG.

Please don't do that to your car.

Phil
Old 12-29-13, 07:12 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

I really don't get it....

the 5w30 doesn't really fit with the temperatures we have here, the 15w40 or 10w40 seems to be a a better match for the climate / temperatures here.

The owners manual I have lacks any information on what oil to use, it just says how and where to check the levels. The cap contains no information at all.

The people at Lexus / Toyota in my city say one thing, which happens to be the same as the people at the auto stores, but they are all wrong?????????

The weather here in Wellington, NZ is different than Canada, so are you quite certain that the conditions here do not require a different oil than in Japan, Canada & USA??? It never drops below about 2-3 celcius here, and hardly ever gets hotter than 25C and that usually averages around 14-20C depending on time of year.

If I take it to Toyota/Lexus to do for me, they will put 15w40 in it unless I demand something else, if I take it to some other mechanic they'll put in whatever they put in.

If I do nothing - well who knows.... the oil could be 8 weeks old, it might be 8 years old.

Surely if Toyota / Lexus was putting 15w40 in Windoms & ES300's and it was destroying them they'd know about it, and have changed their ways don't you think?? Surely!!

At this rate I'll never get anything done

All though you've said not to trust anywhere else I note the advice given seems to match up with a couple of the oil co's websites which supposedly tell you what oil to use for your car...

http://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/PenriteAus/ gives a couple of choices including 15w40

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/CastrolRetailNzl/ suggests 10w40

Shells page suggests 5w40 or 15w40....

Last edited by gtstcactus; 12-29-13 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Flush