ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Diagnosing starting problems 1992 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-13, 04:03 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PuReChaos
Was unaware the Windom came with folding mirrors. Had you disconnected the battery at all during that time? I'd assume its like any motor, after being disconnected from the battery the motor might need to "relearn" automatic folding. That would be my guess.
Well the 92-96 Windom is pretty much the same car as the ES300, I think the 97-2000ish is also the pretty much the same. It certainly does have folding wing mirrors...

I'd had the battery disconnected while I was replacing the terminals & battery etc... Next I started the car, pressed the button to fold the mirrors in, they worked, drove it out of the garage, folded the mirrors back out successfully. I drove across town, arrived at my place.

I noticed the button which I'm guessing is the sonic mirror cleaner, or , wondered what it was and pressed it, the mirrors vibrated as I guess the are supposed to. Then I went to fold the mirrors in and nothing.... Turned the car off, the sonic mirror cleaner was now off, turned power on tried again to fold them in and still nothing. I then decided to see if I could adjust the mirrors angle, via the appropriate button, and that worked on both mirrors. I checked fuses and all seemed to be ok.

Next day, still nothing changed they don't fold any more... I drive around on some errands etc, get to a destination and am reverse parking, I go to adjust the mirror down so I can see the curb and how close I am and now I find that feature no longer works! It doesn't work on passenger or driver side mirror so something has gone wrong, the only feature that works on the mirrors at the moment is the sonic mirror cleaner the feature I really need the least!

Also even tho the air con would not blow any air - hot or cold the consoles still worked, the buttons all worked, the lights in buttons worked, I could press all the functions, dial up a temperature and the a/c console would appear to be working, just no air being blown. I noticed yesterday while playing with the mirrors that that the console is now dead, it was working in the morning so sometime over the course of the day it has also died.

The only thing I had also done was remove the home stereo speaker the previous owner had wired up and placed in the boot. This involved disconnecting the wires which I did by seperating them at the joins the last owner had created. I then disconnected the 2 wires he had running thru the middle of the car from the rear shelf speakers from what ever they were connected to in behind where the stereo goes. (I put the headunit in the glove box the day I got the car as it wasn't mounted properlym was loose and a hazard.) So I can't help but think that something I did in disconnecting the stereo or speaker wires has done something... On the other hand I think to myself what the heck would any of that have to do with the mirrors??? The a/c being directly above the where the stereo originally sat and it's wires being in the immediate proximity I can see possibly affected, tho really it shouldn't have.

FRUSTRATED!

I suppose I will go and check the fuses again....

I really can't afford to go to an auto electrician, so if at all possible I'd like to try and find and fix the problem myself as much as possible, along with any help I can get here if any of you can possibly offer advice.

Aside from checking the fuses again, how should I go about diagnosing the problem??? Should I go and get a multimeter?
Old 12-25-13, 09:49 AM
qw804es300
Driver School Candidate

Check the alternator fuse under the hood. Its a 100a and should be blue.
Old 12-26-13, 05:34 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by qw804es300
Check the alternator fuse under the hood. Its a 100a and should be blue.
In one of the fuse boxes under the hood I presume???
Old 12-26-13, 09:31 AM
Sprey
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gtstcactus
In one of the fuse boxes under the hood I presume???
Yup in the fusebox by the airbox Square fuse(from what i remember) cant miss it.
Old 12-27-13, 08:03 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Ok located the fuse, it seems to be missing the plastic cover like the one next to or near it (yellow I think) has.

I couldn't pull it out with my fingers, will have to try again with pliers.... Is it obvious if these fuses are blown (like the ones in the internal fuse box are easy to tell if blown)
Old 12-30-13, 07:45 AM
qw804es300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gtstcactus
Ok located the fuse, it seems to be missing the plastic cover like the one next to or near it (yellow I think) has.

I couldn't pull it out with my fingers, will have to try again with pliers.... Is it obvious if these fuses are blown (like the ones in the internal fuse box are easy to tell if blown)
those 2 fuses are connected to the same little box with 2 clips on either side. you have to pull the two up with pliers and there are 2 screws on either side of both fuses holding them in place so you cannot just yank them out with your fingers. auto zone, advance, napa, maybe even walmart, ect should have the fuse for no more than $5