ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Back in an ES

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-13, 10:40 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wiper blades
Lube all the door hinges
First thing I did on my car right after I got it (actually all 3 of them) was to go buy 4 regular lug nuts, take off those stupid wheel locks. IMO they're just a nuisance.
Be sure to pull out the spare and make sure it's in good shape, properly inflated. Polish the rim, wash and wax the inside of the trunk. (Yes I did this on mine)
Make sure your tool kit is complete, as is the First Aid kit.
I also pulled out my back seat, vacuumed and washed underneath. You never know what the previous owner could have left under there...
Grease the muffler bearings

Last edited by KLF; 12-07-13 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-07-13, 10:53 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Dealer replaced wipers and wheel lock already. Spare is good and tool kit is untouched, Nothing under the seats. Its nice to buy a used car and not have to do anything to it haha
Old 12-08-13, 07:23 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
This is why I was never a fan of navigation units in cars. Technology moves along very quickly, but the unit cannot be upgraded. Fortunately, the 'nav systems' are pretty good and utilize way more parts of the car than just GPS.
I agree. I just use my Garmin for the few times that I am lost.

Old 12-08-13, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I hate to keep bumping this up, but i just want to make sure I've taken care of all the services,
-all fluids have been changed
-air filters (including cabin) changed
-Seafoam added to gas tank
-battery unplugged to "reset" ecu

Any other suggestions or needs i have to had done? Drive belts are good, timing belt is good, brakes are good, and spark plugs changed recently. Anything I'm missing?
I think you have it pretty well covered...
Old 12-09-13, 05:10 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Has the crank pulley recall been done?
Old 12-09-13, 06:24 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Looked it up and this car is not part of that recall but thank you for the heads up. Just got a set of all weather floor mats, and changed the power steering fluid for the second time. It was still dark, but not as bad as the the fluid i originally changed out. Ill change it again this weekend and hopefully the fluid will be red instead of black

Last edited by RXGS; 12-09-13 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-09-13, 05:20 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gray_es300
and changed the power steering fluid for the second time. It was still dark, but not as bad as the the fluid i originally changed out. Ill change it again this weekend and hopefully the fluid will be red instead of black
How are you changing the power steering fluid multiple times? Using a baster and sucking out a bit of fluid a little at a time? Why not do a full flush? Its pretty straight forward,

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ce-needed.html

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg9Yjt__KHw
Old 12-09-13, 06:03 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful car man!

I melt when I see a 4es interior.
I love how the navi-screen setups look in these cars. Ill be doing an aftermarket navigation upgrade when I get my income tax.

Do you plan on removing those plastic wheel well strips to prevent rust in that area?
Old 12-09-13, 06:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I don't have jack stands so doing it like in the video just isn't ideal , and the Baster thing only takes like 5 minutes. I've been using advance auto dex/merc ATF fluid, it is comparable with dex. 3 and the computer said it is the correct fluid, do I have to use one of the more expensive Mobil synthetic fluids? And I did unscrew the plastic strips and clean them out, wasn't really anything there. I only did this because I use to do it once a month on my 2001 and it really helped prevent rust in the typical areas.
Old 12-17-13, 05:33 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by msekanha
Do you plan on removing those plastic wheel well strips to prevent rust in that area?
Can you elaborate on this, where is the plastic strip your referring to, in the rear wheel wells?
Old 12-17-13, 08:05 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Can you elaborate on this, where is the plastic strip your referring to, in the rear wheel wells?
There's a black plastic strip that runs along the lip of the rear wheel wells. They're held in with screws, you can't miss it.

A lot of honda guys in my area remove these strips from the wheel wells because they're known to hold in salt, dirt and moisture which leads to rear-quarter panel rot.

Occasionally, ill remove these plastic strips to clean in between them and reinstall after. Haven't decided if I want to permantely remove them yet...
Old 12-17-13, 01:54 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I just used to keep them on to prevent chips and stuff and cleaned them once a month. That's what I plan on doing for this one as well
Old 12-18-13, 08:20 AM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good stuff here for a newbie. Duly noted & thank you!
I'm taking mine in Saturday to have the parking light replaced and will request to see the service record of what they did prior to me purchasing the car. According to the owner's manual, the car is due for service at 127,500 miles.
Old 12-19-13, 07:45 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

2 weeks and 1000k miles later the car is great. First question is how could I tell if my control arms are going bad? Secondly I've averaged 19 mpg with 93, but considering the tires and weather I'll take it. The transmission hesitation has seemed almost nonexistent I don't understand how people made it seem so bad because I have experienced it maybe once and it was really minor, maybe it's my driving style? Also on wot I sometimes get a rotten egg smell, but it's not all the time. This is normal right? Besides that the car is great, highly suggest one it is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever driven
Old 12-20-13, 05:41 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Comfort is their strong suit. Just a great car all around.

Quick Reply: Back in an ES