ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1999 Lexus ES 300 Knock sensor? HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 03:06 PM
Brie230
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 Lexus ES 300 Knock sensor? HELP PLEASE!

I recently purchased a used 1999 Lexus ES 300 and I am having problems with the "engine". I read up and believe it's the knock sensor. Symptoms include: no power after stopping and going again, pinging in the engine, weird shift issues and no Over drive. If I don't get a running start on a hill I'm screwed! My mechanic put it on the machine and it is running lien w/ a whole bunch of options related to fuel injection and so on. They also replaced the fuel and air filters (which honestly needed it).

I believe from what I read that this is not uncommon for this year and model. If anyone can help me with this problem I would appreciate it! (They also said it may be a plugged up catalytic converter?????)

Where the sensor is located, how to fix and what other products needed to fix it are some of my questions. HELP!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-17-08, 07:22 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brie230
I recently purchased a used 1999 Lexus ES 300 and I am having problems with the "engine". I read up and believe it's the knock sensor. Symptoms include: no power after stopping and going again, pinging in the engine, weird shift issues and no Over drive. If I don't get a running start on a hill I'm screwed! My mechanic put it on the machine and it is running lien w/ a whole bunch of options related to fuel injection and so on. They also replaced the fuel and air filters (which honestly needed it).

I believe from what I read that this is not uncommon for this year and model. If anyone can help me with this problem I would appreciate it! (They also said it may be a plugged up catalytic converter?????)

Where the sensor is located, how to fix and what other products needed to fix it are some of my questions. HELP!!!!!!!!!
There are 2 knock sensors. They are underneath the intake manifold. Not a big deal if you know what youre doing but if not, labor charges will be pretty high. It does sound like the cat is plugged, however they dont just kill them selves. For example if you have a misfire and you keep driving it, raw fuel is being dumped into the cat because the unburned fuel goes right out the exhaust valves, out the manifold, and into the cat. I would fix whatever caused the cat to fail first, then disconnect it and run the engine and see if it has power now. If you do need a new cat, get a Toyota one. If you go aftermarket, the light will never go off. Its not a common problem; its just common that most people ignore servicing there vehicles until it turns into a disaster.

Last edited by 92ES5sp; 04-17-08 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-17-08, 07:43 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah it could be so many things. just have a certified reputable repair facility fix your car. preferably lexus in your case since it could be they would have more experience in handling it. Clogged up catalytic converter ,and what 92es5sp said about what caused it to get messed up in the first place apply, could also be EGR malfunction, inccorect timing, and we could go on and on and on.. give us some more concrete info like codes, vacuum readings, fuel trim, etc, and we'll do our best
Old 04-18-08, 03:20 PM
Brie230
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 92ES5sp
There are 2 knock sensors. They are underneath the intake manifold. Not a big deal if you know what youre doing but if not, labor charges will be pretty high. It does sound like the cat is plugged, however they dont just kill them selves. For example if you have a misfire and you keep driving it, raw fuel is being dumped into the cat because the unburned fuel goes right out the exhaust valves, out the manifold, and into the cat. I would fix whatever caused the cat to fail first, then disconnect it and run the engine and see if it has power now. If you do need a new cat, get a Toyota one. If you go aftermarket, the light will never go off. Its not a common problem; its just common that most people ignore servicing there vehicles until it turns into a disaster.

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I'm trying to get some opinions before we go cutting the cat. Luckily I have some skilled mechanics who work for beer! I have been telling them that something has sounded funny for a while and they were skeptical b/c noone believes what the girl says in the bunch! I had the one test drive it yesterday and he said it has power but the plugged cat is what he would start with. I will let you know what I find. Thanks again!
Old 04-20-08, 08:38 AM
dacecil
Rookie

Skilled? Work for beer? Let's see. I am a skilled mechanic. My hourly rate is $50 (my cut) and I'm going to do say 3 hours work for what, a case of beer? What's that worth? $25? So I'm going to trade $150 for $25? Maybe skilled in mechanics, but not much in economics.

Make sure that your mechanic tests the cat with a vacuum gauge and not just takes it off and shakes it around. You connect the vacuum gauge to the engine. If the vacuum stays the same, the cat is ok. If the vacuum drops, the cat could be plugged or some other exhaust obstruction.
Old 04-22-08, 02:47 PM
Brie230
Driver School Candidate

Fortunetly for me, there are still people out there that value friendship over a few bucks. A few hours helping out a friend with a small problem can come back full circle in no time. You may be skilled in economics but not much in moralistic value.
Old 10-23-13, 05:33 PM
sewwht2
Driver School Candidate

Hi Brie230 -

I know it has been over 5 years since you posted the above. However, I am starting to have the same problems and curious how you resolved it. Please reply if you happen to see this.

Thanks!