ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Help! 1997 ES300 Parasitic drain on battery and tracked it down to the ECU-B 10A fuse

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 08:51 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

What would you like to know? A relay is not going to make any difference because when the car is off no relay is active. If you think the stereo is drawing too much power then you can either replace it with another factory system or get something else.

Did you try only unplugging the stereo to narrow down the problem?
Old 01-21-15, 04:39 PM
05lex330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that information. I would like to know where the relay is that controls the radio. I have not tried unplugging the radio but that is a good suggestion. I pulled the fuse and the draw went away but unplugging the actual radio will pinpoint the problem exactly. I was just wondering if this was something I could fix or if I had to get a new (junkyard) unit.

A bad relay cannot cause parasitic draw? According to this website it can:

http://www.ehow.com/list_7326280_com...ery-drain.html

"Relay switches that are stuck in the "on" position can also cause a battery to drain."
Old 01-21-15, 04:49 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I was talking about a relay in respect to the stereo, which is what you asked about. The stereo gets constant power and switched through the ignition. You can start pulling relays if you want it won't hurt anything, but generally on these cars the relay contacts don't weld themselves. It is possible of course.
Old 01-21-15, 05:05 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 05lex330
Anyone.....?

Except for the radio, what else does the fuse that you pulled out control?
Old 01-22-15, 07:28 AM
gveach
Driver School Candidate

Had a similar drain once on my early LS model. Resulted in a dead battery after setting for several days. Finally after months of head scratching found the problem, a bad lamp switch on the passenger side visor mirror. Visor was always closed so you couldn't see the light. Thanked my wife for finding the problem. In fact visor was quite hot, could have become major problem.
Old 01-22-15, 09:00 AM
05lex330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PFB
Except for the radio, what else does the fuse that you pulled out control?
According to the PDF's I am reading the RAD. no 1 circuit controls the car audio system/ navigation system. I guess I need a new radio
Old 01-22-15, 10:51 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05lex330
I had this same issue with parasitic battery draw. When pulling out the RAD no. 1 fuse the draw goes down to about 24mA from over 250mA. I pulled the fuse (obviously no power to the radio) for now. Do I need a new radio? Is there a permanent fix other than getting a new radio? Is there a relay going to the radio that I havent been able to find?

Thanks in advanced

The next logical thing to do is unplug the radio, reinsert the fuse and measure the current draw. If it's the radio, then it should be 0 ma. If not, than the problem lies elsewhere, or that fuse controls something else as well

BTW, you should always wait at least 5 minutes before measuring any parasitic drains.

Phil
Old 01-22-15, 12:20 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PFB
... If it's the radio, then it should be 0 ma. If not, than the problem lies elsewhere, or that fuse controls something else as well ..

Phil
ok, cars always drain current from batterys (modern ones), from the ECU-B or ECU-A fuse, this is because the ecu has a memory system, and that requires battery power to keep.

and modern radios have a memory system which remembers your music sound preferences (bass/treble), so that also uses power.

The drain is so small, you can measure it, but all up it would under an amp in total.
Old 01-22-15, 12:44 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES300NZ
ok, cars always drain current from batterys (modern ones), from the ECU-B or ECU-A fuse, this is because the ecu has a memory system, and that requires battery power to keep.

and modern radios have a memory system which remembers your music sound preferences (bass/treble), so that also uses power.

The drain is so small, you can measure it, but all up it would under an amp in total.
Of course you're right, but I guess my reply was confusing.

What I meant to say is that once the radio is removed, the drain on that circuit only should be 0 ma. Again assuming that the OP is correct in stating that that fuse only controls the Radio.

Sorry if I caused some confusion

Phil
Old 01-22-15, 01:14 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PFB
Of course you're right, but I guess my reply was confusing.

What I meant to say is that once the radio is removed, the drain on that circuit only should be 0 ma. Again assuming that the OP is correct in stating that that fuse only controls the Radio.

Sorry if I caused some confusion

Phil
yeah I thought you meant that, read it twice, wasn't quite sure
Old 01-24-15, 09:15 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

One more thought.I believe, but am not sure, that your car has a power antenna. If so, make sure it's not stuck, and that it does work properly.

Try disconnecting it and taking your previous measurements again.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 01-24-15 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 03:03 PM
Mphidd
Driver School Candidate

Ok guys I've been having this issue with my 99 Lexus ES and just found something out today. My partner suggested that maybe the alarm system on the car could be the cause of my battery dying which at first didn't make sense but then I experienced it first hand...........I've been using a key to lock and unlock the car since I do t have a remote and noticed today that when I shut the car off and hit the central lock button in the car, the car kept clicking and trying to lock but couldn't. I'm going to have a remote ordered and programmed next week so I can update you guys but just a thought
Old 02-25-15, 02:43 AM
Emuller
Driver School Candidate

Default Rx330 parasitic drain w/ ecu-b fuse

I have a short that drains my car battery when vehicle is left for short durations. I did a parasitic check of battery by hooking up an amp meter on negative lead, and ecu-b fuse was the culprit. I drove car w/out the fuse installed. Have lost door lock w/ fob, clock memory, window switch memory, etc. any ideas on the best way to narrow down the offending circuit that is drawing my battery down? With fuse in, there is a 8.7 amp draw, w/ ecu-b fuse pulled, draw goes down to .337, which appears to be normal. I have replaced battery, alternator, and starter on car. The dealership failed to find this problem, and I don't want to put anymore dealership reps kids thru college. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Emuller; 02-25-15 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-25-15, 12:59 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Emuller
I have a short that drains my car battery when vehicle is left for short durations. I did a parasitic check of battery by hooking up an amp meter on negative lead, and ecu-b fuse was the culprit. I drove car w/out the fuse installed. Have lost door lock w/ fob, clock memory, window switch memory, etc. any ideas on the best way to narrow down the offending circuit that is drawing my battery down? With fuse in, there is a 8.7 amp draw, w/ ecu-b fuse pulled, draw goes down to .337, which appears to be normal. I have replaced battery, alternator, and starter on car. The dealership failed to find this problem, and I don't want to put anymore dealership reps kids thru college. Any help would be appreciated.
the ecu draws current to hold memory. that current drain is a tad high to be honest but I would expect to see some drain on that fuse. Perhaps the ECU isn't turning off.

Don't be too quick to say 'short' and 'drain'. In fact it might be some system remaining on. A 9 amp drain would take quite a while to drain a good battery, perhaps overnight. (e.g. high remark).

if the fuse is left out does the battery hold it's charge overnight or for a few days ? because if it does then the issue on that circuit.

ECU-B (from memory), is the power to the ecu which keeps the memory (self learning ecu) alive. you can safely remove it permanently if you don't want to do a repair. You fuel economy will suffer slightly (quite slightly), and the car will be strange to drive each time you start it up, but within 5mins it will learn enough to be fine.

Last edited by ES300NZ; 02-25-15 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 05:09 PM
Emuller
Driver School Candidate

if the fuse is left out does the battery hold it's charge overnight or for a few days ? because if it does then the issue on that circuit.

ECU-B (from memory), is the power to the ecu which keeps the memory (self learning ecu) alive. you can safely remove it permanently if you don't want to do a repair. You fuel economy will suffer slightly (quite slightly), and the car will be strange to drive each time you start it up, but within 5mins it will learn enough to be fine.
Thanks for the response.

The 7.5 amp fuse was pulled and left out the last 24 hours. Car battery held it's charge, and motor starts fine, but many features are inoperative. IE locking door w/ fob, door lock switch on door , air conditioning settings, window switches to name a few.

The issue is definitely the circuit. My problem now is how to isolate the problem item on that circuit. I ordered a haynes repair manual, so this may cover a in depth repair, or at least an accounting of all the items impacted by the ECU-B. Is there a way to disable each of the users of this circuit?

Quick Reply: Help! 1997 ES300 Parasitic drain on battery and tracked it down to the ECU-B 10A fuse