ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How long have you survived on timing belt? and moonroof question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 02:25 PM
idream08
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long have you survived on timing belt? and moonroof question

Hello, I lost a very good paying job several months ago which really hurt me financially. Its been a struggle keeping up with mortgage, car note, loan, etc... I have a 2003 ES300 115k on it. I think your suppose to get a timing around 90k or something. Thank God I finally got another decent paying job. Its about 80 miles a day round trip. If everything goes smoothly, I'll be caught up on bills and be able to afford a timing belt in about 5 to 6 weeks. If my math is right with all the other places i may have to go by that time i'll be around 118500. So do you think it'll hold up til then? i think i saw someone say their's went for 150k.....i'm not trying to stretch it that long, lol...this is my second Lexus and I know if you maintain them they'll go smoothly for a long time!

instead of making another thread i also wanted to ask about the automatic moonroof. I enjoy the privilege of tapping the button 1 time and my roof opens all the way or closes. Every time the battery has been disconnected, it has always took 2 or 3 days 1 time a whole week for it to work without me holding down the button. Well ever since the last time I needed a jump (wire wasn't all the way on) i have to hold down the moonroof button. The biggest problem with that is.....making sure the roof is shut and sealed.

Its been working like this for over a month. I remember when I bought my starter, the guy at good year said somebody told him if it doesn't reprogram, you have to let the windows all the way down then all the way up or something i tried it with no luck, anybody know how to get it back working properly?

Thanks
Old 07-17-13, 02:33 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to reprogram the moonroof.

Reset the sliding motor whenever disconnecting the battery. If not, the AUTO operation and jam protection function will not work.
Reset sliding roof drive gear (motor)
1. Set the sliding roof glass in the fully tilt−up position.
2. Push and hold the sliding roof switch UP until the sliding roof tilts down a little.
3. Check that the sliding roof tilts up/down and slides open/close in the AUTO operation.
HINT: If the sliding roof is not in the correct position, press and hold the sliding roof switch UP and CLOSE until 10 seconds have passed after the roof stops moving or starts the reverse operation. The reset operation will be completed.
Old 07-17-13, 06:20 PM
idream08
Rookie

Originally Posted by PuReChaos
You need to reprogram the moonroof.

Reset the sliding motor whenever disconnecting the battery. If not, the AUTO operation and jam protection function will not work.
Reset sliding roof drive gear (motor)
1. Set the sliding roof glass in the fully tilt−up position.
2. Push and hold the sliding roof switch UP until the sliding roof tilts down a little.
3. Check that the sliding roof tilts up/down and slides open/close in the AUTO operation.
HINT: If the sliding roof is not in the correct position, press and hold the sliding roof switch UP and CLOSE until 10 seconds have passed after the roof stops moving or starts the reverse operation. The reset operation will be completed.
thanks a lot Pure, i will try it in the morning and post back.
Old 07-17-13, 06:43 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes, 118k is fine. Don't sweat it!

Congrats on the new job, hope things work out.
Old 07-19-13, 08:29 AM
idream08
Rookie

thanks Purechaos, it worked like a charm!

Originally Posted by hypervish
Yes, 118k is fine. Don't sweat it!

Congrats on the new job, hope things work out.

so that timing shouldn't go out before then? just making sure because i got an oil change and the guy told me i'm well past due for timing and he made it seem like it could go out and anytime.

Thanks Hypervish for the good words!
Old 07-19-13, 10:19 AM
tbmobiledj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 98 ES300 with over 185k miles on it and the timing belt still hasn't been changed. You are good to go as long as the car hasn't been driven hard.
Old 07-19-13, 10:36 AM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The 98 ES300 has noninterference engine. Which means if the timing belt breaks there likely will be no engine damage. You, on the other hand, have an interference engine. Which means if your timing belt breaks you will probably suffer severe engine damage and most likely need a new engine. I would get your timing belt replaced as soon as you are able. Most likely you will be OK for a while yet. Just remember the gamble you are taking.
Old 07-19-13, 11:56 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by idream08

so that timing shouldn't go out before then? just making sure because i got an oil change and the guy told me i'm well past due for timing and he made it seem like it could go out and anytime.

Thanks Hypervish for the good words!
No, it shouldn't go out before then. As soon as you have the budget for it, get it done! But, don't lose sleep over it.
Old 07-19-13, 01:16 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tbmobiledj
I have a 98 ES300 with over 185k miles on it and the timing belt still hasn't been changed. You are good to go as long as the car hasn't been driven hard.
You are brave....
Old 07-19-13, 01:19 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tomf
The 98 ES300 has noninterference engine. Which means if the timing belt breaks there likely will be no engine damage.
You can still damage your engine even if the engine is non-interference. The pistons can still hit the valves due to carbon build-up / deposit.
Old 07-19-13, 01:28 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by idream08
Glad to hear. Good luck with the new job!
Old 07-19-13, 01:46 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by BDSL
You are brave....
That's not the term I would use. Plus the notion that a timing belt does not need to be replaced if you don't "drive hard" is flat out wrong.
Old 07-19-13, 02:02 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I would find the money now. That is me.
Old 07-19-13, 02:50 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
That's not the term I would use. Plus the notion that a timing belt does not need to be replaced if you don't "drive hard" is flat out wrong.
I don't want to come across as too harsh.
Old 07-21-13, 08:23 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tbmobiledj
bad advice..

Quick Reply: How long have you survived on timing belt? and moonroof question