ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
Old 12-15-14, 12:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Install Navigation in ES330

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 12:40 PM
Scot1066
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install Navigation in ES330

I'm thinking about adding navigation to my 2006 ES330, no nav or ML. I don't want to upgrade the sound system or go aftermarket because of the fit.

The OEM units that look compatible on ebay are Denso model # 86120-33620. With the right wiring harnesses will this unit work with my amp and speakers?

How can you tell which navigation units are compatible with the premium/Pioneer system and which work with the ML setup?
Old 07-11-13, 02:03 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I might be interested in this as well. I would love a navigation retrofit for the ES. Wish I could help, but I'll keep a close eye on this thread.

You would need more than the headunit though. You'll need the antenna for sure. I know for the RX navigation retrofit you need the head unit, antenna, gps computer, etc.
Old 07-11-13, 08:57 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the OEM dash piece but go aftermarket on the actual double din head unit. The OEM NAVs go for way too much money, even ones off totaled ES's. would also need a different harness, the cd changer in the glove box and the GPS unit etc. trust me I've thought about to keep it OEM.

I'm neurotic enough to hold out for and OEM Lexus dash piece that color matches and says Lexus, but there are also cheaper options on eBay from aftermarket producer.

Last edited by Megafast13; 07-11-13 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-11-13, 10:57 PM
ships10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've installed a used eclipse AVN 726e head unit with great satisfaction and delight. I also added a valor lic plate backup camera ( you'll need this connector if not using the eclipse backup camera:http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-son...r-harness.html).
Everything looks and feels awesome in my 2006 ES330 !.. Great audio ,BT( for tel and streaming audio) ,mic,GPS, iPod connected, backup camera and full steering wheel controls!
I'll try to post some pics when I have some time.
Don't buy the ultra expensive OEM NAV...too expensive with far less features.
Old 07-12-13, 05:38 AM
Scot1066
Driver School Candidate

The OEM units are running around $350-$400 on eBay, which isn't bad. I just can't figure out which navigation units are compatible with my premium/Pioneer system. I'm assuming that any unit that came out of a car with the ML setup wouldn't work.

My main question is: Will Denso model # 86120-33620 unit work with my basic amp and speakers?
Old 07-12-13, 06:27 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Scot1066
The OEM units are running around $350-$400 on eBay, which isn't bad. I just can't figure out which navigation units are compatible with my premium/Pioneer system. I'm assuming that any unit that came out of a car with the ML setup wouldn't work.

My main question is: Will Denso model # 86120-33620 unit work with my basic amp and speakers?
I don't think you quite understand.

You can't just install the head unit. You do realize that?

You need the other equipment, such as the nav computer, antenna, etc. All of that costs money.

BTW, there's one navigation system selling on CL right now in the Classified section.
Old 07-12-13, 06:30 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Megafast13
Get the OEM dash piece but go aftermarket on the actual double din head unit. The OEM NAVs go for way too much money, even ones off totaled ES's. would also need a different harness, the cd changer in the glove box and the GPS unit etc. trust me I've thought about to keep it OEM.

I'm neurotic enough to hold out for and OEM Lexus dash piece that color matches and says Lexus, but there are also cheaper options on eBay from aftermarket producer.
Nothing quite beats the OEM look.

The RX300 retrofit costs about $1500. Some people have been able to get it for as cheap as $800. I'd imagine the ES to be a bit cheaper since the Nav DVD reader is already built into the headunit in the ES unlike the RX which has a separate unit.

The headunit for the ES itself is selling for only $150 - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...2011-disk.html.

I don't understand why you need a CD changer in the glovebox however.
Old 07-12-13, 07:00 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
I don't think you quite understand.

You can't just install the head unit. You do realize that?

You need the other equipment, such as the nav computer, antenna, etc. All of that costs money.

BTW, there's one navigation system selling on CL right now in the Classified section.
Hence the reason Why no one ever bought it...
Old 07-12-13, 09:47 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i am doing an install soon myself, just waiting on last cable to arrive. I have a 6CD changer in-dash thats coming out and instead i am putting in SONY double din GPS + rear camera, i am using OEM Mark Levinson faceplate and metra gap fill kit for sides (OEM GPS is slightly wider than most aftermarket GPS units so that space is filled with the kit to look OEM)

Installing OEM navigation is plain stupid. You have 0 features for a lot of money!
Old 07-12-13, 10:58 AM
Scot1066
Driver School Candidate

As usual, it's impossible to get a simple, straight answer on here. Everyone has to rehash their own theories and opinions.
Old 07-12-13, 12:13 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As usual, it's impossible to get a simple, straight answer on here. Everyone has to rehash their own theories and opinions.
Theories and opinions?

Dude, What we just told you is FACT, have you not read our posts?

Here's your straight forward and simple answer. NO.

You CANNOT just simply install a factory oem navi unit on a vehicle that was not intended for one. Unless you plan on spending thousands of dollars converting your car to a navi capable vehicle with the proper equiptment (I.e. Navi unit, factory dash, antenna, wiring harness, factory amp, speakers, cd changer.)

Look at it this way. Its like purchasing a partial mountain bike. You can't ride it until you purchase the handle bars, wheels, and pedals.

Go aftermarket. Much much cheaper, and you can finf a better navi unit for a quarter of the cost oem navi setup.

Hope that was straight forward enough :B

Last edited by msekanha; 07-12-13 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-12-13, 01:32 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have factory nav in my '05 and I'm sure at the time it was cutting edge, but by today's standards it's terrible. I never use it anymore. Google maps on my phone, connected via Bluetooth with a GROM unit kicks it's butt.
Old 07-14-13, 03:59 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some people just don't listen
Old 07-15-13, 07:54 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hey its a FREE forum where you get a FREE advice. We get what we pay for.

Old 09-27-13, 01:14 PM
stev8468
Driver School Candidate

Default ES330 Nav install

I am also installing a aftermarket unit Kenwood DNX570HD with sirius and new maestro sw steering wheel interface I will post pictures when the madness starts

Quick Reply: Install Navigation in ES330