ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need some advice on trunk lid rust....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-13, 03:25 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need some advice on trunk lid rust....

Sorry for another rust thread but, I did a search in the forums regarding "rust repair" and found either very little or mixed results...

So I have a VERY small rust bubble that is developing beneath the license plate trim on my trunk lid...

Although the rust bubble is barely noticeable, i'd like to take care of it before it invades my whole trunk lid.

I spoke to my autobody guy and he told me that it's not worth fixing and that I should leave it alone. But I won't be able to sleep at night knowing that I at least didn't try to fix it.

I know there's no permanent fix for rust, but is there anything I can do to temporarily fix it until I pay off this car and trade it in?

I may tackle this job myself, but not sure on products to use... Primer, touch-up paint.. etc?

Any advice on how to fix this? Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails Need some advice on trunk lid rust....-woonsocket-20130509-00292.jpg  
Old 05-09-13, 04:51 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its definitely worth fixing if you plan on keeping your car. You have to grind out all of the rust and then use good quality epoxy primer to protect metal
Old 05-09-13, 07:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,703 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Take the area down to the metal, then get a POR-15 starter kit. After doing that, you can either wet sand the area then put a base coat and clear, or you can use some filler putty to smooth things out then put the final coats on.

The biggest challenge will be to blend the repair, it won't ever be perfect but with some effort it will be decent. POR-15 when used correctly will stop rust for many years.
Old 05-09-13, 07:13 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mitmaks
Its definitely worth fixing if you plan on keeping your car. You have to grind out all of the rust and then use good quality epoxy primer to protect metal
Thanks for your reply.

I definitely want to fix it before it gets any worse.

Now if done correctly, do you think the epoxy primer will permanently prevent rust from coming back in that area?

And what brand epoxy primer would you recommend?
Old 05-09-13, 07:22 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Take the area down to the metal, then get a POR-15 starter kit. After doing that, you can either wet sand the area then put a base coat and clear, or you can use some filler putty to smooth things out then put the final coats on.

The biggest challenge will be to blend the repair, it won't ever be perfect but with some effort it will be decent. POR-15 when used correctly will stop rust for many years.

Thank you.

I'm not concerned with it being "perfect", considering it's almost in an inconspicuous area.

I've never heard of such a kit, but looks like just what I need.

What would you recommend for primer?

And paint now... I was on ebay and found http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2006-Lexus-ES330-3Q4-Alabaster-Metallic-2-oz-Touch-Up-Paint-1-oz-Clear-Co-/281055623415?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41703878f7&vxp=mtr Would this be good touch-up paint to use? Or should I stick with the stuff in the can? I'm a little concerned of the quality of this paint.

Thanks for the help again.
Old 05-09-13, 07:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,703 Likes on 2,288 Posts

The POR-15 starter kit comes with everything you need, the paint goes on the bare metal (you won't be using a traditional primer) after you use the Prep, which contains zinc oxide neutralizing the rust. After the paint has dried (wait a few days, more if it's cool outside) you then wet sand with say a 400-600 grit then apply your base coat and clear.

Like I said you can also use a filler putty if you are looking to get a more seamless repair.

Beware, POR-15 paint is extremely aggressive. If you get it on your hand and it dries nothing will remove it, will take about a week for it to wear off. If you get even the slightest amount on the lid of can and close the can, you will never be able to remove the lid again. If you spill the paint on anything and it dries, it will be there a very very long time.

edit- that paint kit looks good. You can apply it with a small brush if you want. A few coats later and some set sanding the paint will be perfectly smooth. The trick to doing a small repair like that is not to go too far out on the surrounding area. It's easy to do, a small repair becomes a large area painted.

Last edited by LeX2K; 05-09-13 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-09-13, 07:33 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SPI epoxy is nice but expensive. You can buy some epoxy from eastwood. When applied properly it will prevent rust. You will have to use some body filler in area where rust was as you will grind it off and surface will be now lower than the rest of the panel.
Bodywork is complex and is best left to professinals. Maybe you can find someone who could do it for you at their shop at home.
Old 05-10-13, 10:51 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice, guys. I really do appreCiate it.

My autobody guy quoted me $500 to repAir and repaint the trunk lid, but I may just attempt it myself.

Once I change my timing belt and replace a few other little things, ill attempt the trunk lid.

Ill keep you guys posted on how the rust repair went.
Old 05-10-13, 12:21 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

You should also check the area directly behind the rust spot.

Rust sometimes starts on the inside and works its way out. So just fixing the surface rust may not do it.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 05-10-13 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-11-13, 11:32 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

I pulled the upholstery back and I think i'm good behind the trunk.

But I found a few other rust bubbles on the exterior of the trunk.

I've thought of just buying a new trunk lid and having my autobody paint for me.
It would be less of a headache in my opinion.