ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Car Alarm always goes off when opening door

Old 04-07-13, 09:23 AM
tommy329
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Alarm always goes off when opening door

I have a 2001 es300. Everytime I lock the doors and leave for a while and come back the alrm goes off when I open the door. Can anyone help me out? Thanks Tommy
Old 04-07-13, 10:55 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the problem exist only with one door, or do all doors trigger the alarm?

Walt
Old 04-08-13, 08:06 AM
tommy329
Driver School Candidate

It happens when I open both the driver side door and the passenger side door. It does not happen when I open the trunk.
Thanks
Tom
Old 04-08-13, 08:19 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Are you saying the alarm goes on, yet the car will star? How do you turn the alarm off? What does the red LED alarm on the radio do when this happens?

Unfortunately alarm problems will not light up the check engine light, but they would set a code into memory. I don't think however that a standard code reader will read such codes. You can try and see if they could be read, I think however that only Lexus can retrieve alarm codes.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 04-08-13 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-08-13, 11:12 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tommy329
It happens when I open both the driver side door and the passenger side door.

Well, that sort of kills my theory, as you probably wouldn't have 2 doors with the same problem. At the end of the key cylinder, in each door, is a nylon button-type switch, which turns to the "Locked" or "Unlocked" position to signal the alarm system the status of that door. They have been known to come off, and hang by the wires inside the door. If it was off the end of the lock cylinder, and hanging there in the "Locked" position, it would still be signaling the alarm system that the door was locked , even when you open that door. Then, when the door is opened, it might trigger the alarm.

I may be wrong about how that all works, but I thought I remember that. I believe that is covered here in a different forum (Security, electronics,?) with a pic of the key cylinder and that wired turn button, too.

Walt

Last edited by ayonnebay; 04-08-13 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-18-13, 11:45 AM
stingray71
Driver School Candidate

Default Door lock actuator needs replacing

Tommy,
The problem is your door lock actuator. I had this problem on my '98 ES300 for about 4 years and it started off very sporadic. Eventually, it became much more frequent so that we always opened the door with the key to avoid the alarm.
I did some searching on these forums and the most likely problem was the actuator, so I finally ordered one and replaced it about 3 weeks ago. It has been working without any problems, so I wish I had done it a long time ago.
If you are mechanically inclined, you can order the part and do it yourself. This was the part for my '98
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UE2SXM/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UE2SXM/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This basically involves removing your door panel completely and then replacing the actuator that is attached to the inner door lock. It probably took me about 1.5 hours after I researched and looked at some videos etc.