ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Welcome to Club Lexus! ES owner roll call & introduction thread, POST HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-17, 05:59 PM
KingSora89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, first car..got my license recently

I work at a salvage yard in central north-east Texas. I tear apart ( dismantle), cars and trucks all day 6 days a week, for cheap pay, but priceless in knowledge. Two months ago I bought my 2000 ES300 (grey and gold) dual throttle body sadly( automatic ) :,(

I've had issues with it since I've boughten it.
but I now have knowledge of cars( preferred/much more complex).

Anyways to cut the the chase.
​​​​​​​
Old 07-05-17, 08:57 AM
fire48
Driver School Candidate

Default 2002 ES300 Headlight assembly

Haven't been on here in a while, I acquired my 2002 ES300 back from my parents and headlight assembly needs to be replaced. Any suggestions on going back with something different or should I stick with original equipment. The vehicle is black with tan interior. thanks
Old 07-10-17, 02:15 AM
DennisCB
Rookie

stay with original
Old 07-20-17, 08:09 AM
yarvek
Driver School Candidate

Default Owner 2001 ES300

Hello Forum. First time posting but have visited often in the past. I have had my Lexus now for 2yrs. I look forward to sharing some pics of my car and a few simple upgrades I have done.

Last edited by yarvek; 07-21-17 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-24-17, 05:32 AM
DennisCB
Rookie

Last edited by DennisCB; 07-24-17 at 05:33 AM. Reason: my 98 es300
Old 07-30-17, 03:25 AM
KcEs330
Driver School Candidate

Hello This is my 05 ES330 175,000 Black exterior Tan interior No special options
Old 07-31-17, 01:06 AM
jewelleann
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Officially new but have been lurking for a year now

Hi all, I am "new" to the forum. I own a 1996 ES300 Coach edition that I purchased about a year and a half ago. I am the 3rd owner. The poor guy has not fared so well with me--I love him, but his previous owner barely drove him and kept him in a garage, where I drive 50 miles a day and don't have the capability to garage him. The sun is beating the snot out of him but I pay him lots of attention.

No pictures because, well, I don't have any at the moment.

I've lurked on this forum and learned a lot about my car, including some DIY's. Today's visit was inspired by my door handles breaking--first the outsides, and now, as I was trying to open my door to get out and go in to my work, the inside handle gave up the ghost. So I'll be searching how to fix door handles on a door that can't open.

I have the parts for an EGR valve replacement sitting on my counter at home, I took it to the shop for an error message and they blamed it on a sensor, which was not what was wrong as evidenced by the check engine light that came on as I drove home, and the completely frozen EGR rubber parts when I pulled it out to clean it. So Alexi (yeah, I named him) will be getting some more TLC this weekend.

Even with the little issues we're having, I love my ES300!
Old 08-04-17, 06:57 AM
Lexysdad
Driver School Candidate

Just bought 1999 ES300 a couple of months ago. 2-tone with tan interior. Coach Edition, I guess, not sure what that even means! But it had 203,000 miles on it. Previous owner took good care of her, except for the paint. I am by no means a car mechanic but I learn fast and have done a few DIYs from here and trusty youtube. Hoping to get this car sufficiently reliable to let my teenage daughter drive her. Having what seems to be a typical problem- CEL and "TRAC OFF" lights on simultaneously. Codes P1153 and P0420. I have been advised that the VVT solenoids should be replaced as most likely culprit. I also have plugs and coils I got from a prior ES300 owner who gave me some insight. I'll be sure to share my progress. Also have small oil leak from what looks to be in the vicinity of the power steering pump/timing belt area. not bad enough to worry about yet.

So far-- New cabin air filter (denso, off amazon) there wasn't one in it! Changed alternator (Denso), Hood struts (generic, amazon), Top engine mount (generic, Amazon), Oil change (conventional 5W30, considering going syn, but I don't think there's even been syn in it, so I'm thinking that's perhaps a waste at this point (especially with the leak). Plan is to drain/fill trans fluid every oil change to eventually get new fluid in there. making sure to do it cold and put EXACTLY the same amount of fluid in it as taken out. Got the OEM Trans oil at local Toyo dealer for CHEAPER than Amazon/auto zone, etc. Only $75 for a case of 12!! Who says the dealer is a ripoff for everything? haha

anyway, love the forum, this is awesome being able to work on cars myself!
Old 08-05-17, 05:52 PM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexysdad
Just bought 1999 ES300 a couple of months ago. 2-tone with tan interior. Coach Edition, I guess, not sure what that even means! But it had 203,000 miles on it. Previous owner took good care of her, except for the paint. I am by no means a car mechanic but I learn fast and have done a few DIYs from here and trusty youtube. Hoping to get this car sufficiently reliable to let my teenage daughter drive her. Having what seems to be a typical problem- CEL and "TRAC OFF" lights on simultaneously. Codes P1153 and P0420. I have been advised that the VVT solenoids should be replaced as most likely culprit. I also have plugs and coils I got from a prior ES300 owner who gave me some insight. I'll be sure to share my progress. Also have small oil leak from what looks to be in the vicinity of the power steering pump/timing belt area. not bad enough to worry about yet.

So far-- New cabin air filter (denso, off amazon) there wasn't one in it! Changed alternator (Denso), Hood struts (generic, amazon), Top engine mount (generic, Amazon), Oil change (conventional 5W30, considering going syn, but I don't think there's even been syn in it, so I'm thinking that's perhaps a waste at this point (especially with the leak). Plan is to drain/fill trans fluid every oil change to eventually get new fluid in there. making sure to do it cold and put EXACTLY the same amount of fluid in it as taken out. Got the OEM Trans oil at local Toyo dealer for CHEAPER than Amazon/auto zone, etc. Only $75 for a case of 12!! Who says the dealer is a ripoff for everything? haha

anyway, love the forum, this is awesome being able to work on cars myself!
Not to chat in the Intro thread, but P1153 has to do with your upstream front bank O2 sensor, should not be related to your VVT solenoids. P0420 is for your catalyst efficiency...I'd tackle the O2 sensor first and see if the P0420 follows it.

VVT codes on these engines are pretty cut-and-dried, and those codes you posted ain't it. I'd be interested in hearing the rationale of whoever told you that.
Old 08-06-17, 04:04 PM
Lexysdad
Driver School Candidate

Default Codes and vvt

Please suggest where to appropriately continue this dialog. My information regarding the vvt solenoid came from ancient tibetan Buddhist who had just sold his es300 to the junkyard and was passing along wisdom (and parts) before returning to his mountain top temple. He said he had struggled for years to decipher the simultaneous CEL amd TRAC OFF warning lights. Once reaching enlightenment, he changed the vvt solenoid and the lights went off.

i am not Buddhist, so i am not accepting that as final truth. I shall investigate the O2 issue as you suggest. Please offer any guidance you might have in that regard.

-grasshopper
Old 08-06-17, 05:36 PM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexysdad
Please suggest where to appropriately continue this dialog. My information regarding the vvt solenoid came from ancient tibetan Buddhist who had just sold his es300 to the junkyard and was passing along wisdom (and parts) before returning to his mountain top temple. He said he had struggled for years to decipher the simultaneous CEL amd TRAC OFF warning lights. Once reaching enlightenment, he changed the vvt solenoid and the lights went off.

i am not Buddhist, so i am not accepting that as final truth. I shall investigate the O2 issue as you suggest. Please offer any guidance you might have in that regard.

-grasshopper
Hit the "New Thread" button in the ES 1st to 4th Gen forum
Old 08-10-17, 02:38 PM
SDUteFan
Driver School Candidate

Default NEWB here. First post is a plea for help.

Hello all. I sell Lexus for a living. Two years ago I bought a 2004 ES330 with 14,000 miles on it. It was in fact owned by a little old lady who only drove it to church and the grocery store. Not kidding. Anyway, the car just turned 40,000 miles. The first two problems have occurred back to back. The first was done a week ago. Needed an ignition coil. Did the replacement. It was $360 out the door (employee cost).

My second issue began yesterday. The moon roof has a faint but very persistent rattle. I thought I'd check here first before I subject myself to more labor fees in our service department. Anyone experience this that has a quick fix? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-12-17, 08:06 PM
mbogosia
Rookie

Just picked up this 2004 ES330. It has 160k miles and came with its complete service history and its had plenty of maintenance done to it including timing belt, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, brakes, tires, and much more.

Last edited by mbogosia; 08-13-17 at 03:45 AM.
Old 08-17-17, 09:22 AM
ejtom
Driver School Candidate

Default 2002 ES300 140k miles

I recently purchased a "high" mileage (140K) 2002 ES 300 from Lexus dealer. Single owner, Clean inside and out. All service records present till 120K from Lexus and 20K from Toyota dealer. SINGLE OWNER. Got it for decent price
Being a student, I have to take this car out of state for possibly 2-3 yrs. I'll keep it well maintained too with regular oil changes etc. Do you guys think I can depend on this ride for 2-3 yrs?
Sometimes I feel that its too much of mileage and I might be stuck in the repairshop...I'm confused.
Any insights will be truly appreciated.

FYI- My dad's LS400 went till 380K and mom's RX300 still has 135K with no deal. Mine is the first time buying car w/140k on it.
Old 08-17-17, 09:39 AM
ejtom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ejtom
I recently purchased a "high" mileage (140K) 2002 ES 300 from Lexus dealer. Single owner, Clean inside and out. All service records present till 120K from Lexus and 20K from Toyota dealer. SINGLE OWNER. Got it for decent price
Being a student, I have to take this car out of state for possibly 2-3 yrs. I'll keep it well maintained too with regular oil changes etc. Do you guys think I can depend on this ride for 2-3 yrs?
Sometimes I feel that its too much of mileage and I might be stuck in the repairshop...I'm confused.
Any insights will be truly appreciated.

FYI- My dad's LS400 went till 380K and mom's RX300 still has 135K with no deal. Mine is the first time buying car w/140k on it.
Forgot to mention--new tires, new brakes/rotors, new spark plugs, new valve gasket (old one was leaking), new oil can gasket. No leaks or oil smell. Rides smooth..so far

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! ES owner roll call & introduction thread, POST HERE!