ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Timing Belt & Water Pump '05 ES330

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 06:14 PM
tommyfitz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt & Water Pump '05 ES330

What would be a fair price from a Lexus dealer to change both the timing belt and water pump ES330 year 2005? Second question: are chain store mechanics such as "Pep Boys Auto Mechanics" or "Firestone Mechanics" in the Chicagoland capable of changing both water pump and timing belt without worry ?
Old 04-04-13, 07:08 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

Well, when I was looking around for doing my timing belt, the price Lexus wanted to charge me was $800 for timing belt and water pump. They would supply a loner car for the duration of service at no charge. This was after I talked them down I believe the original price they wanted to charge me was about $1,000. But I told them I was a college student and that I was traveling an hour to them because the local Lexus dealership is just awful on customer service.

Here are a few threads that should be relevant to you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ming-belt.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...placement.html
Old 04-04-13, 07:21 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still contemplating if I want to take my Es330 to the dealership for a timing belt job or to do it myself.

I always get uneasy feelings working on interference motors...

But $800 sounds like a fair deal, considering my local dealership wants over $1100 for the job done.
Old 04-04-13, 10:23 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

in canada where everything is WAAAY more expensive, i paid $175 off of ebay (USA) for an Aisin kit with pump, belt, tensioner and idler & tensioner bearings. I paid another $20 for cam & crank seals. my mechanic charged $400 to do everything. the seals were a royal PITA he said. I have a 1993 es300, 130K miles.

Hard to say with mechanics... anyone can be rushed or have a bad day and make mistakes. timing belts are very common and a licenced mechanic should be competent to do this job. Main thing I was told was to not cheap out on pump/belt which is why i paid an extra $75 to get the Aisin kit.
Old 04-05-13, 03:35 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I wouldn't take it to any of those grease monkeys.

Take it to the Toyota dealership, if the Lexus dealership is charging more than you would like to pay. Remember, you can always find an independent shop and have them do it.
Old 04-05-13, 08:42 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

toyota every bit as qualified as lexus dealer. do you know of a decent independent mechanic you trust?
Old 04-05-13, 12:58 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

My local toyota dealership refuse to even put my es330 on the lift because it doesn't say 'toyota' on it. They won't even sell me coolant lol
Old 04-05-13, 01:42 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

wow, your toyota dealer is dumb and arrogant. most of my parts have toyota part #s and the car is a luxury toyota. great endorsement to never take anything to them, not even a toyota product. their head is so far up their a$$ I don't think they'll ever smell air. good for you to know that about them.

if you're willing to pay, most dealers are like any shop and will work on most anything.
Old 04-05-13, 03:01 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by msekanha
My local toyota dealership refuse to even put my es330 on the lift because it doesn't say 'toyota' on it. They won't even sell me coolant lol
That's only likely to happen when both dealerships are owned by the same individual. If they are owned independently by two different companies than its much more likely that a Toyota deler will take you.

Not sure however if you'll save much, as the hourly labour costs may be identical in both. Cost of parts should also be very similar.

Phillip
Old 04-05-13, 04:33 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

They were more inclined to just give me an appraisal for my car rather than sell me a bottle of coolant. With that kind of attitude, do you even think I want to do business with you's? hell no.

And regardless of ownership of the dealership, i just still can't believe they wouldn't sell me a
bottle of coolant. I pretty much drove 15 miles out for nothing.
Old 04-05-13, 09:45 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

For Toyota to tell me they won't service my car because it's a Lexus, is like Ford saying they won't service a car be cause it's a "Mercurrrrry"..

So stupid...
Old 04-05-13, 10:27 PM
rtriplett3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my 2005 ES 330 Timeing belt and water pump done at a Lexus Dealer about 6 mo ago, my initial reaction to the price was total shock, but with cam bearings, water pump, timeing belt it was only $1400 bucks, ONLY made me think twice about returning, and since I have replaced the valve cover gaskets for $60 and 4 hrs of my time, the Lexus dealer wanted another ONLY $1200. Since I have done all maintenance myself, its not all that bad, I figure in a few years I may need spark plugs and will do myself, as the cost of plugs and 3 hrs work will probabley save about $1000. Same deal here, the loaner car isn't worth it, unless you absolutely need it .I don't think I ever will again.
Old 04-06-13, 09:20 AM
tommyfitz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. In Chicago, I went to a Toyota dealer and they honored a 10% discount on engine work for my Lexus 330. Cost for Timing Belt and water pump $819 plus a car wash. I also decided to have them change a couple of drive belts that tacked on an additional $72.
Old 04-06-13, 12:20 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyfitz
Thanks everyone. In Chicago, I went to a Toyota dealer and they honored a 10% discount on engine work for my Lexus 330. Cost for Timing Belt and water pump $819 plus a car wash. I also decided to have them change a couple of drive belts that tacked on an additional $72.
Pretty hefty charge for new belts considering zero additional labor required.
Old 04-17-13, 09:50 AM
vanges300
Driver School Candidate

I heard Firestone is pretty good with their customers. I just did mine yesterday. It was PITA because there isn't much room to loosen some bolts. Especially removing the Crank bolt.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt & Water Pump '05 ES330