ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Engine shaking and white smoke from exhaust?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 01:23 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

DO NOT THROW PARTS AT YOUR CAR. It will only make you more frustrated/disappointed. Plus it may damage your paint finish

Have you had a chance to clean your IAC Valve and your MAF sensor?
Old 04-05-13, 02:01 PM
ivanito
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing had happened to our 1992 ES.

Same symptoms

1st time I fixed it I changed the ECU, it was good for about 6 months then it came back and I thought it was the ecu again but it turns out it was just bad spark plug wires.

I suggest checking your spark plug wires next.

Last edited by ivanito; 04-06-13 at 03:25 AM.
Old 04-06-13, 10:07 PM
lexy2013
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ivanito
Same thing had happened to our 1992 ES.

Same symptoms

1st time I fixed it I changed the ECU, it was good for about 6 months then it came back and I thought it was the ecu again but it turns out it was just bad spark plug wires.

I suggest checking your spark plug wires next.
did the spark plug wires. no luck bud
Old 04-07-13, 06:08 AM
pdr
Driver School Candidate

I suspect you're getting water on 1 or more spark plugs which grounds the plug and there will be no fire in that cylinder. No fire means engine runs rough, unburned gasoline smell out exhaust. If the water dries up, the cylinder will function and the car will then run smooth (my car does this some)

The water could be from seepage around the head gasket when the engine gets cold. Mine will be noticeably worse when it's below freezing, but not so bad when overnight temps are in the 60's or 70's.

BTW, my car sat for a long time, years in fact. When I got it started finally, it blew lot's of white smoke for a long time, I thought the head gasket was toast. But it did dry out and became what i'd call 'normal' So don't give up on yours quite yet.
Old 04-21-13, 07:48 PM
lexy2013
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pdr
I suspect you're getting water on 1 or more spark plugs which grounds the plug and there will be no fire in that cylinder. No fire means engine runs rough, unburned gasoline smell out exhaust. If the water dries up, the cylinder will function and the car will then run smooth (my car does this some)

The water could be from seepage around the head gasket when the engine gets cold. Mine will be noticeably worse when it's below freezing, but not so bad when overnight temps are in the 60's or 70's.

BTW, my car sat for a long time, years in fact. When I got it started finally, it blew lot's of white smoke for a long time, I thought the head gasket was toast. But it did dry out and became what i'd call 'normal' So don't give up on yours quite yet.
how do we get the water to dry?
Old 04-21-13, 08:43 PM
moonphase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wondering Lexy2013: Did you apply a small dab of dielectric grease to the spark plug terminal before pushing the boot on? Have you replaced the fuel filter yet?
Old 04-21-13, 09:28 PM
lexy2013
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moonphase
Just wondering Lexy2013: Did you apply a small dab of dielectric grease to the spark plug terminal before pushing the boot on? Have you replaced the fuel filter yet?
no i didnt apply dielectric grease bud should i go back and apply it?

still havent had time to replace the fuel filter
Old 04-21-13, 10:21 PM
moonphase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexy2013
no i didnt apply dielectric grease bud should i go back and apply it?

still havent had time to replace the fuel filter
You really should do both the fuel filter, and dielectric grease! Pull the wire boot and place a pea sized dab of dielectric grease at the boot opening so that it will be deposited on the spark plug terminal when the boot is pushed on. All high energy ignitions should have the dielectric grease that you can purchase at most auto parts stores. It prevents water infiltration, and micro-arcing at the terminal. The exhaust should clear up within a couple weeks after you replace the fuel filter.
Old 05-10-13, 06:05 AM
lexy2013
Driver School Candidate

i also think i got an oil leak somewhere just not sure where though.... i suspect its at the rear end of the engine .... argh i hate this
Old 05-27-13, 12:27 AM
lexy2013
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
DO NOT THROW PARTS AT YOUR CAR. It will only make you more frustrated/disappointed. Plus it may damage your paint finish

Have you had a chance to clean your IAC Valve and your MAF sensor?
hey sorry for the late reply bud

how do i clean the IAC valve and MAF sensor? sorry hey its my first time working on a lexus

i replaced the fuel filter the old one was pretty dirty but unfortunately i have no improvement the exhaust still puts out a lot of white smoke and the fuel smells ridiculous

the fuel in the old filter was like black and had possibly water in there somethings really messed up

after the fuel filter renewal the car still shakes when idling... rpm drops at times between 500-700rpm... timing belt was replaced just 20 000kms ago... i want to have a crack at the IAC and MAF sensor now
Old 06-02-13, 07:24 PM
lexy2013
Driver School Candidate

cleaned IAC valve and i still getting clouds of white smoke from exhaust bit of water drip upon start up exhaust fumes smell ridiculous... engine idles awkwardly rpm rise then drop

no coolant loss or decrease in level ???
Old 06-02-13, 09:42 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I have a few possible theories, just something to troubleshoot.

1. Is the engine running poorly only at idle? Try raising the RPMs and holding them. What kind of symptoms do you get? Does the roughness get worse or does it smooth out?

I don't think there is an issue with your headgasket. I think it's either a vacuum leak or a fuel delivery issue.

2. A vacuum leak would cause a rough idle because the computer is not accounting for extra air that's being sucked in past the Air Flow sensor. The engine should run normally when you raise the RPMs, because the vacuum goes away when you open the throttle plate. I think a bad Air Flow Sensor or a bad IAC Valve could also be a contributor (not sure how to pinpoint which one is at fault). But I think if your problems go away at higher RPMs, then you can isolate the problem to too much or not enough air.

3. A fuel delivery issue could be a number of things. It could be a leaky/poor running fuel injector that's shooting too much gas at one time. You could check that by inspecting your spark plugs for abnormalities. You can also have a fuel tank that's full of stale gasoline. Gas has a shelf life of about a month, after that time your car won't run as smoothly.

4. Weak spark can also be a contributor. If you can't ignite the fuel, you will be shooting it out through the exhaust. There are testers out there that can indicate if the spark is strong enough. Since you replaced your wires and spark plugs, it could be coming from the ignition coils. Maybe one of them is bad and it's not igniting one of the cylinders, which is causing a poor running engine and dumping excess fuel into the exhaust.

5. I'm surprised you don't have a misfire code or a check engine light.

Last edited by Hayk; 06-02-13 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 09:52 PM
lexy2013
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I have a few possible theories, just something to troubleshoot.

1. Is the engine running poorly only at idle? Try raising the RPMs and holding them. What kind of symptoms do you get? Does the roughness get worse or does it smooth out?

I don't think there is an issue with your headgasket. I think it's either a vacuum leak or a fuel delivery issue.

2. A vacuum leak would cause a rough idle because the computer is not accounting for extra air that's being sucked in past the Air Flow sensor. The engine should run normally when you raise the RPMs, because the vacuum goes away when you open the throttle plate.

3. A fuel delivery issue could be a number of things. It could be a leaky/poor running fuel injector that's shooting too much gas at one time. You could check that by inspecting your spark plugs for abnormalities. You can also have a fuel tank that's full of stale gasoline. Gas has a shelf life of about a month, after that time your car won't run as smoothly.

4. Weak spark can also be a contributor. If you can't ignite the fuel, you will be shooting it out through the exhaust. There are testers out there that can indicate if the spark is strong enough. Since you replaced your wires and spark plugs, it could be coming from the ignition coils. Maybe one of them is bad and it's not igniting one of the cylinders, which is causing a poor running engine and dumping excess fuel into the exhaust.

5. I'm surprised you don't have a misfire code or a check engine light.
did all the filters, spark plugs and leads a few months ago all brand new good brands
when doing the fuel filter i noticed that the fuel was very much like just water and smelt awful too so this could be the culprit

idle is rough and kind of goes away if given more pedal cloud of smoke gets worse though.. mainly when in park position i tried neutral, drive and reverse the smoke is reduces a little??

3. the fuel has been sitting in the car for the past 4 months so that could definitely be an issue like you said... is there anyway i can drain some of the fuel?

5. i bought the car for real cheap and it was said to have mechanical faults when i got it

i noticed the engine diagnostic terminals are covered in thick grease and this is how i got the car... perhaps this is why im not getting an error code or CEL?

jacked the car up too and noticed residue/oil just under the rear manifold from what looked to be like the head gasket? no oil drops on the driveway though just when i run my fingers along the seal there is a little oil ?

Last edited by lexy2013; 06-02-13 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 11:36 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Your best bet would be to drive it down to a local shop for a diagnosis. If you want to try using some fresh fuel, you can siphon the old gas out through the back seat. You will need to remove the bottom cushion and remove the access port to the gas tank. I know most gas tanks have a security system inside the filling neck, so that you can be protected against people stealing your gas.