ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lexus ES300 aftermarket exhaust? No ricer exhaust please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-13, 10:25 PM
salstats
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Lexus ES300 aftermarket exhaust? No ricer exhaust please.

Ok Lexus owners, i have a 2000 Lexus ES300 and would like a aggressive exhaust sound. But i don't want a ricer sound like a Honda ricer car. Ive heard nice IS250 cars by my work with duel exhaust pipes and sound so aggressive kind of like a Infinity or 350/370Z. Can i customize a ISF250 exhaust to my Lexus? I'm sure it would sound better since i have 3.0 engine and the IS250 have a 2.5 litter engine. Thanks Sorry if this thread has already been made, i cant seem to find anything like my Nissan Titan forum.
Old 03-15-13, 10:43 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is your idea of aggressive? i know people who run straight pipes without cats, i know people who straight up run open headers.. its pretty damn aggressive, cause i believe you can make people go death..

i say get a catback or muffler that you like and get it welded, if you need it louder remove the resonator, and do some research on how they sound on youtube/streetfire/etc
Old 03-16-13, 12:26 AM
seyelabrev
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a hit or miss type of deal. Don't settle for less though, like those cheap fart cans. I'm rocking Magnaflow on mine and it has a deep/roaring sound.
The following users liked this post:
djr48312 (06-18-21)
Old 03-16-13, 12:34 AM
salstats
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gabzor
what is your idea of aggressive? i know people who run straight pipes without cats, i know people who straight up run open headers.. its pretty damn aggressive, cause i believe you can make people go death..

i say get a catback or muffler that you like and get it welded, if you need it louder remove the resonator, and do some research on how they sound on youtube/streetfire/etc
Aggressive like how a Nissan 350 sounds when it shifts. No fart can exhaust like how "seyelabrev" said.

Originally Posted by seyelabrev
It's a hit or miss type of deal. Don't settle for less though, like those cheap fart cans. I'm rocking Magnaflow on mine and it has a deep/roaring sound.
Yea i don't plan on going cheap. Money is not an issue, but yet i ain't going to spend $1000+ on exhaust lol. I have a Nissan Titan and im running a costume Banks exhaust but that's a V8. I did see a video on youtube with a glasspack+flomaster it was ok but not deep enough.
djr48312 (06-18-21)
Old 03-16-13, 12:55 AM
salstats
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Ok i found what is as close as i can get. What do you guys think?

Last edited by salstats; 03-16-13 at 01:40 AM.
djr48312 (06-18-21)
Old 03-16-13, 01:40 AM
salstats
Driver School Candidate

idk why video double post???
Old 03-16-13, 06:24 AM
dewso1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

info in the video descriptions on what he's running, im personally gonna try go with the same setup
Old 03-17-13, 09:15 PM
DplanDman8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Super 40 series flowmaster with the resonator taken out. It sounds pretty good I think.. has a deep roar at idle and slow exel. until you stomp on it and it gets a little raspy at the top end but not bad and not loud and annoying. i did at one point have no cat with the set up but it was raspy and it sounded really bad.
djr48312 (09-26-21)
Old 03-18-13, 08:57 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salstats
Ok Lexus owners, i have a 2000 Lexus ES300 and would like a aggressive exhaust sound. But i don't want a ricer sound like a Honda ricer car. Ive heard nice IS250 cars by my work with duel exhaust pipes and sound so aggressive kind of like a Infinity or 350/370Z. Can i customize a ISF250 exhaust to my Lexus? I'm sure it would sound better since i have 3.0 engine and the IS250 have a 2.5 litter engine. Thanks Sorry if this thread has already been made, i cant seem to find anything like my Nissan Titan forum.
If you wanted it to sound like an IS250 you probably should have bought an IS250. As it is, you're going to take a perfectly good, low mileage ES300, which is not a sporty car, and try to make it sound like something it's not. If you lower the car, put on custom rims and tires, and modify the intake and exhaust you're going to have a luxury car that rides harder and sounds louder, and still handles and performs like an ES, and is worth less than when you started. You can dress Gramma up like LeBron, but she's still going to play like Gramma.
Old 09-17-18, 07:30 AM
Lexuslife9
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ..maybe he wants to turn his es into a faster car.

Originally Posted by 285exp
If you wanted it to sound like an IS250 you probably should have bought an IS250. As it is, you're going to take a perfectly good, low mileage ES300, which is not a sporty car, and try to make it sound like something it's not. If you lower the car, put on custom rims and tires, and modify the intake and exhaust you're going to have a luxury car that rides harder and sounds louder, and still handles and performs like an ES, and is worth less than when you started. You can dress Gramma up like LeBron, but she's still going to play like Gramma.
I have a es300 lowered and drilled and slotted rotors with Brembo calipers and ceramic pads. Because the es is lower then the is250 by quite a bit as well as wider. My baby drives like a Lexus with sport suspension, nice and smooth and stays flat through sharp corners. I also have a front and rear sway bar that also keeps it planted. So I think the IS250 is ACTUALLY not quite as nice of a platform personally. IV got cams, stiffer springs, Texas racing forged rods, and the Pistons and main crankshaft is much stronger and has a bigger bore then on it's Camry/avalon/solara cousins. All have the same 1MZ engine, mine has vvt.i. Lexus always beefs theirs up. But my extremely long point is I'd take my es over an is250 anyday. IV got more parts but that's not the point. The point is if he wants to find an exhaust for his ES then all of us in this Lexus forum should be here to help withwith quest not answers. I personally have a custom 3in exhaust with megan headers and a Flowmaster muffler with original Lexus tip to keep it looking stock. I also have the cat deleted and a 2step modulator. The worst part about an es is it weighs close to 3700lbs with me inside. Also change the O2 censores and a performance chip so u can tune it. Also fuel pump and injectors and coils with good plugs and wires. Youll stay up with some pretty quick stuff. With all IV got done since I want to keep it stock looking besides the coilovers. Keep your idea of what u want your car to be. Lexus is a beautiful car manufacturer. They make history. If I ever get rich i ALWAYS dreamed of putting an LFA motor in it lol light and love to all! Our visions are art and we can make anything with our cars.
djr48312 (06-18-21)
Old 09-17-18, 04:47 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslife9
I have a es300 lowered and drilled and slotted rotors with Brembo calipers and ceramic pads. Because the es is lower then the is250 by quite a bit as well as wider. My baby drives like a Lexus with sport suspension, nice and smooth and stays flat through sharp corners. I also have a front and rear sway bar that also keeps it planted. So I think the IS250 is ACTUALLY not quite as nice of a platform personally. IV got cams, stiffer springs, Texas racing forged rods, and the Pistons and main crankshaft is much stronger and has a bigger bore then on it's Camry/avalon/solara cousins. All have the same 1MZ engine, mine has vvt.i. Lexus always beefs theirs up. But my extremely long point is I'd take my es over an is250 anyday. IV got more parts but that's not the point. The point is if he wants to find an exhaust for his ES then all of us in this Lexus forum should be here to help withwith quest not answers. I personally have a custom 3in exhaust with megan headers and a Flowmaster muffler with original Lexus tip to keep it looking stock. I also have the cat deleted and a 2step modulator. The worst part about an es is it weighs close to 3700lbs with me inside. Also change the O2 censores and a performance chip so u can tune it. Also fuel pump and injectors and coils with good plugs and wires. Youll stay up with some pretty quick stuff. With all IV got done since I want to keep it stock looking besides the coilovers. Keep your idea of what u want your car to be. Lexus is a beautiful car manufacturer. They make history. If I ever get rich i ALWAYS dreamed of putting an LFA motor in it lol light and love to all! Our visions are art and we can make anything with our cars.
Would love to see pictures of your exhaust.
Old 06-18-21, 05:47 PM
djr48312
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by salstats
had a 185 HP 1985 LTD LX with 5.0. It was choked down with a inefficient "y" pipe joining into a single 2.25" pipe and muffler....

By going to true duals using two 2.25" pipes and efficient mufflers it made 210 HP as measured on the dyno. 25 rwhp gain and torque gain across the curve. My fuel mileage also increased by 2mpg.

In the 2002 ES300 Situation, there is a 210-215HP engine, choked down by a terrible Y junction that necks down to 2" and escapes a single 2.25" tubing and stock muffler. I estimate this engine will gain similarly, going to 235-240 HP, some fuel mileage gain. By using a true dual 2.25" exhaust system escaping into two high quality mufflers.

I haven't looked at where the piping will go, but it could run in parallel on the same side. Another solution is to design a more efficient Y pipe with 2.5" joining into a single 3" exhaust tube and 3" muffler.

I just had some exhaust work done, and in observation they felt that getting a true dual exhaust in there will not be a big issue. I am going to keep it cheap. So the tubing will be 2.25" tubing from the muffler shop. The mufflers will be off a wreck on a car that sound good with a V6, I've also thought of using later model mustang mufflers. he said I will need an additional secondary cat, that'll come from a wreck.
Old 04-26-23, 05:25 PM
djr48312
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by djr48312
had a 185 HP 1985 LTD LX with 5.0. It was choked down with a inefficient "y" pipe joining into a single 2.25" pipe and muffler....

By going to true duals using two 2.25" pipes and efficient mufflers it made 210 HP as measured on the dyno. 25 rwhp gain and torque gain across the curve. My fuel mileage also increased by 2mpg.

In the 2002 ES300 Situation, there is a 210-215HP engine, choked down by a terrible Y junction that necks down to 2" and escapes a single 2.25" tubing and stock muffler. I estimate this engine will gain similarly, going to 235-240 HP, some fuel mileage gain. By using a true dual 2.25" exhaust system escaping into two high quality mufflers.

I haven't looked at where the piping will go, but it could run in parallel on the same side. Another solution is to design a more efficient Y pipe with 2.5" joining into a single 3" exhaust tube and 3" muffler.

I just had some exhaust work done, and in observation they felt that getting a true dual exhaust in there will not be a big issue. I am going to keep it cheap. So the tubing will be 2.25" tubing from the muffler shop. The mufflers will be off a wreck on a car that sound good with a V6, I've also thought of using later model mustang mufflers. he said I will need an additional secondary cat, that'll come from a wreck.
So I got two Flowmaster 40 in 2.25". Will have the exhaust shop make a true dual 2.25" exhaust with an H pipe crossover. The Flowmaster 40s' are smaller than the factory muffler by around 40%. The 2nd one will fit in between the spare tire well and fender perfectly fine. I will have this done shortly and will report the gains. Expecting at least 15 HP.

I also used my caliper on the stock tailpipe, the OD is 2.09", it may very well be a 2" internal diameter pipe... I'm not sure if i'm going to have the muffler shop replace this pipe with actual 2.25" tubing but i may if it's not too expensive.

The car will end up with a GT35 Turbo charger starting at 4.5 psi and stock fuel system. It will end up at 8-9psi, supposedly around 10psi the head will lift and i will have problems. It's just a daily driver, i just want to feel more torque in accelerating from a light or a u-turn because at times it is down right dangerous especially with the throttle lag.
Old 05-01-23, 02:15 AM
booboofoo
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Six cylinder engines sound great in the upper rever range - they are half a V12 after all.

But they do have a notorious "drone" point in their rev range too. And over time, you'll almost certainly find that "drone" rpm point is where you spend most of your time while driving.

And in my experience, over time you will find that "drone" rpm exhaust note will make you regret ever changing the exhaust system from OEM.
Old 08-06-23, 02:25 PM
djr48312
Pit Crew

I've refined the goals. I don't go WOT in this vehicle often, a GT35 is not necessary. What's important for me is feeling good torque 200+ft-lb in my daily driving rpm range of 1500-4500 rpm. I want to feel response. For this the g25-550 would be best, I will start out with a cheaper gt2860 clone. Even back in Tony The Tiger days of 2002 he made 359whp with a CT26 turbo and 10psi and e85. He says there is 7psi @1500 according to his posts, and he said the gt2860 would be even more responsive than the ct26 turbo. There are other postings that suggest the ct26 and gt28 turbos are having boost down around 1500 and 1800 rpm with peak boost reached around 3400 rpm on an engine this size. A peak whp of 260-310whp is sufficient. I just want the car to be able to get out of it's own way.