ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Rattle noise that i'm having trouble diagnosing

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 07:04 AM
Spimley
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rattle noise that i'm having trouble diagnosing

98 ES300, 125K miles, i've had this rattle noise coming from the driver front end, i'll hear it occasionally when I hit the slightest bump in the road. (almost sounds like someone is shaking the dice in a Yahtzee cup (muffled)) under the hood near the tire, i get 1 or two rattles at best then it stops, and its somewhat intermittent, doesn't happen every time.

Took it to my mechanic (good guy) and at first he just replaced the pins for the Caliper and the noise disappeared for a couple of days, then returned, so we replaced the whole Caliper,and he tightened every bolt under there just to be sure, two days later, the noise returned.

I'll take it back to the shop early next week and my wrencher is quite apologetic because at this point we think we're chasing a gremlin and fixing stuff that isn't broken, and he'll make it right with me, he always does. But at this point i'm stumped as to what should be tried next.

Ball Joints ?

What else would be the cause here ?

my wife drives the car more than I do and I don't want the dam wheel falling off when she's coming home from work.
Old 03-08-13, 03:13 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure if my noise was the same, but it happened whenever I went over bumpy road, more noticeable on right side. my dogbone motor mount on top was cause of my problem. 2 bolts, 5 minutes to pull off and check. Once off, check the eyelet/bolt hole and wiggle it with screwdriver. The rubber tears and you should see it.

another item might be struts.
Old 03-09-13, 07:32 AM
cdasilva
Driver School Candidate

Ball joints, could cause this noises. Best idea is to lift the car and move the wheel with your hands position as a clock on 3&9 hours. And keep and eye for moving parts on the suspenssion. It could just be the balljoint but remember its an older vehicle and may need some other regular maintenance changes due to age of the vehicle. Also look up for loose parts like the side plastics on the door and the fender from loosing up. Just an over all check up. Good luck!!!
Old 03-09-13, 06:45 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I had something similar and I believe it was due to my worn out strut mounts. I fixed that noise by replacing the struts, but now I'm hearing another noise....
Old 03-11-13, 06:06 AM
Spimley
Rookie

thx, we'll have it on the lift in the next day or three so i'll report back with any findings.
appreciate the input
Old 03-11-13, 11:15 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

please do share the final fix. drives me crazy when people post their Qs but never tell all the others that tried to help, the final fix.
Old 03-24-13, 05:59 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I found the source of my problem. See if it's your radiator.

Old 03-25-13, 06:57 AM
Spimley
Rookie

Mine is scheduled to go into the shop Thursday Morning.
I'll explore the radiator idea !
thanks
Old 03-25-13, 07:31 AM
moonphase
Driver

Take a look at the air flow flapper thingy that is just below the front bumper cover and radiator to see if it makes the noise. It pivots on a wire hinge and has a slight curve. Ours was damaged from a tall curb and made noise, so I made a new one with a piece of aluminum.
Old 03-25-13, 12:59 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by moonphase
Take a look at the air flow flapper thingy that is just below the front bumper cover and radiator to see if it makes the noise. It pivots on a wire hinge and has a slight curve. Ours was damaged from a tall curb and made noise, so I made a new one with a piece of aluminum.
If I understood you correctly, I have mine removed. It got partially damaged on the highway, so I ripped it off. I updated my original thread with this, so I thought I'd put in here as well.

The noise is coming from the driver side fan housing. The gasket material is missing, which is causing a rattle.
Old 03-29-13, 06:35 AM
Spimley
Rookie

well, mine might be fixed,,, i'll know for sure after driving it for a couple of days, but the Strut Mount on the drivers side was bad, fortunately a cheap fix, well relatively cheap, mechanic owed me a favor since he felt bad about fixing the caliper and the pins which turned out to not be the problem, so the total fix was only $70 with labor, but out of curiosity, although he discounted the strut mount from $70 to 35, and only hit me for a half hour labor, so I was very pleased.

But...i happened to look on fleabay and saw that the strut mounts were really cheap, under $15.

and after looking at them, they seem pretty basic.. is $70 retail an accurate price for 1 strut mount ? seems crazy high after seeing the prices that I saw.

again, i'm still happy it was a cheap fix, the biggest PITA on the whole adventure was 3 trips back and forth to the shop before we located the dam issue, but now i'm wondering about the part itself.

Last edited by Spimley; 03-29-13 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-29-13, 08:35 AM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But...i happened to look on fleabay and saw that the strut mounts were really cheap, under $15.
and after looking at them, they seem pretty basic.. is $70 retail an accurate price for 1 strut mount ? seems crazy high after seeing the prices that I saw.
Strut mounts for $15 are junk. $70 each is a good price for a front OEM unit.
Old 03-29-13, 01:56 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Yeah the OE Toyota strut mounts at $70. KYB is a big aftermarket manufacturer, but they seem to make inferior parts.
Old 04-01-13, 06:06 AM
Spimley
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeLex
Strut mounts for $15 are junk. $70 each is a good price for a front OEM unit.
Originally Posted by MrBooby
Yeah the OE Toyota strut mounts at $70. KYB is a big aftermarket manufacturer, but they seem to make inferior parts.
Thanks. I feel better now.
Old 06-24-13, 10:43 AM
cdasilva
Driver School Candidate

Now, Did your problem really got fixed? I really have no other parts to be replaced for rear suspension. I have also replaced the whole struts assembly. I am wondering if the mounts that came with were bad...