ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Please help! Replaced battery now car wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 04:55 PM
Gkiesel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help! Replaced battery now car wont start.

I have a 2003 Lexus ES300. I was having problems with my battery holding a charge so I took it in to a local mechanic that I have used before to have him test the alternator and the battery. I also had him look at my front brakes so I left the car there for about 45 min while I ran errands with my girlfriend. I came back and he said the battery needed replaced and that the alternator was a 50/50 decision but that in his opinion it should be replaced. I said ok that I was going to talk to my father and would be in touch with him. I go to start my car and it doesnt turn over. It tried but just didnt have enough juice. So I try to start a 2nd time and nothing. I walk back in and ask for a jump and he says he had cranked it 7 or 8 different times with no problem while I was gone and couldnt believe the battery was that dead. He hooks up a portable jump pack and I go to crank it and nothing. Let it sit for a minute go to crank it and nothing. He then hooks up a battery charger that is hooked into the wall and sets it to 200 amp jump. I go to start the car and it begins to turn but wont start. We wait about 30 seconds, I try to start again and it turns but wont start. He tells me that the battery must be shot because he has never seen a car not start when hooked up to this charger and says he doesnt think it will start unless it has a new battery. I agree and we put a brand new interstate battery in. I hop in the car go to crank it and it doesnt turn at all! At this point we are both looking at eachother in disbelief. I continue to try and crank the car and it does nothing. The instrument panels work, the lights work but the car wont even turn now. Does anyone know if there is a reset that performed after replacing the battery? I havent found anything saying that there is. There is no way the starter went out is there? I mean with a crappy battery that wouldnt hold a charge it was atleast trying to turn over. I dont know what to do. I left the car over night and he is going to research to see what he can find. I'm sorry this post is so long but I have no idea why this would happen. Thanks for the help
The following users liked this post:
1MZ (12-16-22)
Old 02-19-13, 08:06 AM
pdr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you sort this out yet?

There are clues to watch and listen for when these things happen.

When you turn the key does ANYTHING happen? hear a click? lights dim? Engine turn but very slowly?
Dash lights dim and stay dim after you release the key?

It could be the old battery was gone and the new battery had a dead cell in it, or a short. Did the mechanic read the voltage on the batteries at all?