ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Premium, middle grade or regular? (merged threads)

Old 06-28-13, 11:31 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

87 is just fine for these cars. Do not need to waste $$$ on premium IMO.

Our business development guy is driving ES for work, he has close to 200,000miles on his car driving on 87 ONLY. No problems!!! I've asked people around and tried comparing premium vs regular myself and honestly i dont see any difference.
Old 06-28-13, 11:37 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Are you serious??? You push rpms to the red line daily, your motor blows and you blame it on regular gas? Are you freaking serious? Genius . Wow.

Originally Posted by JonnysES
I blame my blown motor on 87 because I redline daily but with 87 you could occasionally hear the spark knock..
It is dressed up daily beater, also known as toyota camry. Premium cars are: ferrari, maseratti, aston martin etc.

These toyotas are good daily beaters. Dressed up middle class "luxury". They are reliable and last long time .. when you dont red line them on daily basis. lol.

Wow. Is this guy for real???

Originally Posted by JonnysES
Run Premium it is a premium car with a high out put engine with high compression.
Old 06-28-13, 11:37 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Too many variables....driver, load, ambient temperature/pressure, engine condition, etc....

What works for one owner might not work for another owner.

If you are looking for ways to save a few dollars and not knowledgeable about drivetrain, there are other better ways to save money....
Old 07-03-13, 01:12 PM
285exp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlx101
Are you serious??? You push rpms to the red line daily, your motor blows and you blame it on regular gas? Are you freaking serious? Genius . Wow.

It is dressed up daily beater, also known as toyota camry. Premium cars are: ferrari, maseratti, aston martin etc.

These toyotas are good daily beaters. Dressed up middle class "luxury". They are reliable and last long time .. when you dont red line them on daily basis. lol.

Wow. Is this guy for real???
He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Old 07-09-13, 12:17 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Myth: Premium gas is better for your car.

Reality: Most vehicles run just fine on regular-grade (87 octane) fuel. Using premium in these cars won't hurt, but it won't improve performance, either. A higher-octane number simply means that the fuel is less prone to pre-ignition problems, so it's often specified for hotter running, high-compression engines. So if your car is designed for 87-octane fuel, don't waste money on premium and if you car recommends (not requires) premium, you can usually get away with using regular. Some cars truly require premium, meaning you're stuck paying extra.
Old 07-10-13, 08:37 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Reality: Most vehicles run just fine on regular-grade (87 octane) fuel. Using premium in these cars won't hurt, but it won't improve performance, either. A higher-octane number simply means that the fuel is less prone to pre-ignition problems, so it's often specified for hotter running, high-compression engines. So if your car is designed for 87-octane fuel, don't waste money on premium and if you car recommends (not requires) premium, you can usually get away with using regular. Some cars truly require premium, meaning you're stuck paying extra.
This is true. It's like running full synthetic oil for 3000 miles. I need to go back to Regular...
Old 07-11-13, 05:58 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Umm, actually the ES will benefit. Especially the 4th generation.

For two reasons, the first applies to the 3rd generation as well; this engine is high compression at 10.5:1. So the car will have improved performance from running higher octane fuel.

The second reason, which applies only to the 4th gen, is because it has DBW. The transmission will behave much better with high octane fuel. Lexus themselves have said to run high octane fuel in a TSB regarding shift quality.
Old 07-12-13, 09:58 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Transmission cares about gas? this is a new one to me...

I 've switched back and forth and there is no difference that i can feel/see in performance.

If regular was bad in nay way there would be a big red sticker in front of your face saying - PREMIUM ONLY.

What do you mean by improved performance? It is a daily driver designed to get me from A to B. All i care about is miles per gallon.

I am not drag racing fighting for extra seconds on a quarter mile strip... come on, we are talking rebadged toyota camry here.

Originally Posted by hypervish
Umm, actually the ES will benefit. Especially the 4th generation.

For two reasons, the first applies to the 3rd generation as well; this engine is high compression at 10.5:1. So the car will have improved performance from running higher octane fuel.

The second reason, which applies only to the 4th gen, is because it has DBW. The transmission will behave much better with high octane fuel. Lexus themselves have said to run high octane fuel in a TSB regarding shift quality.
Old 07-12-13, 10:17 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As I said before.....

Too many variables....driver, load, ambient temperature/pressure, engine condition, etc....

What works for one owner might not work for another owner.

If you are looking for ways to save a few dollars and not knowledgeable about drivetrain, there are other better ways to save money....
Old 07-12-13, 01:57 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Transmission cares about gas? this is a new one to me...

I 've switched back and forth and there is no difference that i can feel/see in performance.

If regular was bad in nay way there would be a big red sticker in front of your face saying - PREMIUM ONLY.

What do you mean by improved performance? It is a daily driver designed to get me from A to B. All i care about is miles per gallon.

I am not drag racing fighting for extra seconds on a quarter mile strip... come on, we are talking rebadged toyota camry here.
It's not the transmission that cares about the gas, it's the ECU. It will pull timing to compensate for low octane fuel. What's so hard to understand...

If we are talking about just a "rebadged camry" then why don't you go out and buy a Camry.

I'm sorry, I don't have the patience to deal with ignorance.

It's your car do what you like, but do not spread false information that's all I ask. This is forum is to help others, if you don't know what you are talking about I kindly ask you don't write it or at least put a disclaimer.

The last thing I will post in this thread is what the manual states. You can interpret it anyway you want.

Octane rating
Select premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating
of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher for optimum
engine performance. However, if such premium type
cannot be obtained, you may temporarily use unleaded
gasoline with an Octane Rating as low as 87 (Research
Octane Number 91).
Use of unleaded fuel with an Octane Rating or Research
Octane Number lower than stated above will cause persistent
heavy knocking. If it is severe, this will lead to engine damage.

Last edited by hypervish; 07-12-13 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-13-13, 07:53 PM
Timothyj
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 04 Es330 cars, I run no lower then 89 octane. I run BP or Mobil gas, no junk gas. Spend the few extra cents and buy good gas.
Old 07-15-13, 08:44 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not the transmission that cares about the gas, it's the ECU. It will pull timing to compensate for low octane fuel. What's so hard to understand...

If we are talking about just a "rebadged camry" then why don't you go out and buy a Camry.

It's your car do what you like, but do not spread false information that's all I ask. This is forum is to help others, if you don't know what you are talking about I kindly ask you don't write it or at least put a disclaimer.

The last thing I will post in this thread is what the manual states. You can interpret it anyway you want.
I have temporarily been using regular in our 2004 ES330 since it was purchased new. I have never had any knock, much less heavy or persistant. The times I've tried using premium, I've felt no difference in the way it drives or in performance and seen no difference in mileage. Those choosing not to take the word of anyone here should just try it for themselves, it won't hurt the car to use regular, no matter what dire predictions you may hear.
Old 07-15-13, 08:59 AM
rlx101
Advanced

already have 2...

Why does Toyota Camry have this same engine and not require premium gas?

The 1MZ-FE is a 3.0 L (2994 cc) engine. Bore is 87.5 mm and stroke is 83 mm. Output is 168–190 hp @ 5200–5400 rpm with.....

Applications:

1994–2006 Toyota Camry (V6)
1994–2003 Lexus ES 300 & Toyota Windom (Japanese domestic market)

1996–2004 Toyota Avalon & 2000 Toyota Pronard (Avalon for Japanese domestic market)

Last edited by rlx101; 07-16-13 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-16-13, 01:31 PM
rlx101
Advanced

"In the old days, engines could not adjust to fuels with varying octane ratings. Use the wrong fuel and the engine would knock or "ping" audibly because the gas exploded prematurely. This knocking damaged internal engine components over time.

Today, engine control systems can compensate for low octane by monitoring knock activity and adjusting ignition advance to avoid knocking. This sophisticated electronic capability effectively tunes the engine on the fly and gives drivers more flexibility in the grade of fuels that they can safely use.

Compared to premium gasoline, lower-octane fuels don't allow the engine to run as much ignition advance during situations calling for rapid acceleration. More ignition advance allows the engine to make more power, and accelerate more quickly, during these conditions. Since the engine doesn't make quite as much power with lower-octane fuels, this translates into slower acceleration in cars for which premium fuel is recommended. The performance loss is especially noticeable in turbocharged gasoline engines, which have become increasingly popular in recent years.

The performance loss, however, is something you will only notice if you have a heavy foot and accelerate rapidly from a dead stop or while changing lanes at highway speeds. But if you accelerate moderately, the loss of power is barely noticeable, regardless of whether you use premium or regular-grade fuel."

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...g-premium.html
Old 07-18-13, 09:37 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well said.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Premium, middle grade or regular? (merged threads)