ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Some Insight Needed: 2002 Lexus ES300 ABS kicking in VERY hard in light snow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-13, 10:33 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Some Insight Needed: 2002 Lexus ES300 ABS kicking in VERY hard in light snow?

I just picked up a 2002 ES300 with only 65K on the clock....looks to be in Excellent condition

Drove great , quiet and not a scratch inside.

had a touch of snow today in NY(nassau county) , maybe 1.5inch , was driving came off on an exit going maybe 25MPH and pressed brakes...ABS kicked in like I was stopping hard on ice or something....I have felt ABS on cars kick in before but this was nuts. Car didnt want to come to a full stop...thank god it did at the end of the exit ramp.

I then went to accelerate and the traction control kicked in hard also car kind of jerked a bit and I heard noises under the hood. Usually when traction control kicks in on the other Lexus's Ive owned (including the 1997 ES300 I had) I would just feel a loss of power but not noises.

I am new to the 2002 ES300 and wanted to get insight from any one of the more experienced owners if they have heard of ABS and Traction control issues like this.
Its like they kick in when they (ABS and TRAC) are supposed but they kick in WAY WAY to hard. like something is wrong.

Again I have owned a 1997 ES300 (had for 8 years), a 2006 IS350 and now have a 2010 ISF and have never felt anything like the harshness of ABS in a light light snow or the TRAC kick in with all these noises.

Any insight would help (2002-2003 owners) thanks in advance
Old 02-03-13, 06:36 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

What tires are on the car?
Old 02-03-13, 11:16 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Yokohama Avid V4s - all seasons

I thought of that also...and I also tried turning off the TRAC and the tires did have bad traction and I heard them slipping...then turned it back on - but it was the sound the TRAC control was making that alarmed me...usually it is felt by just a loss in power...not hearing things actuate and make noise under the hood.

ABS wise I know if the calipers lock up a bit it will kick in...but I was going maybe 5 miles to 10 miles and hour and was breaking very moderately ...no where enough for the ABS to kick in like I was sliding on ice
It was almost violent...I did some searching and saw posts of speed sensor corrosion , etc.
and people having TRAC , VSC and ABS lights on

But I got no lights on Dash is clear but something isnt right.

I've seen your posts in a number of 2002 ES300 issues - seems like u know the car's behaviors pretty well...
lets say its not the tires....any ABS issues like that you hear of...or has your acted like that??

I really wish I knew someone in the NY area that i could compare cars with live...ANY one in NYC wanna give a fellow lexus owner a hand?

Last edited by NYC ES3; 02-03-13 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-03-13, 12:11 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I had the ABS go off frequently with my old tires, which were Bridgestone Potenza G019 they still had 8/32" of tread left but they had terrible snow traction, and were loud. I replaced them after the first snowfall, because I couldn't even turn in the snow (which was less than an inch, doesn't even qualify to be called snow lol). I now have Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring, and they are fabulous. No ABS kicking in or anything.

I don't have traction control, but hopefully someone else who has it can chime in.

Usually the ABS, VSC and TRAC light coming on has to do with the CEL. Very rarely does it actually have something to do with VSC.

You can check out the regional section over here on CL, to find someone else who may have a 4th gen ES to compare with. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/neloc-175/
I'd be glad to compare, but like I said I don't have VSC. lol
Old 02-03-13, 10:31 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

YOu dont have TRAC ????

I would say you do...its standard
maybe you dont have VSC? but Trac is standard.

I did some investigating with the car today (know a little something about a little something)
with my Dad.
Found that the rear motor mount is shot and front is on its way out...that explains the bucking like a horse...must get worse when trac kicks in trying to regulate its power...

ABS kicking in may effect that also...and Tires are crap in snow
Gonna change all 4 motor/tranny mounts and get a set of snows...nothing beats blizzaks

that should cure it --will update once I do

For now under normal acceleration she purrs like a cat...and the snow tires should kill the whole ABS thing...till it gets a bit warmer in APril - then I'll do motor mounts and update this thread.

other than that the car was kept is EXCELLENT condition...Love the smooth ride and interior is beautiful
Old 02-04-13, 03:40 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Unfortunately VSC is not standard. You can look at the attached pdf to see what was standard and what was not. I wish it was, but then again I don't really care. LOL

Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)
Optional. Integrates Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), optional Brake Assist and optional Traction Control (TRAC).
Yup, keep us updated!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2002ESspecs.pdf (126.6 KB, 300 views)
Old 02-04-13, 08:18 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

how many miles are on these tires? these are 40% cheaper than OEM Michelin's, perhaps you get what you pay for?

When mine fronts were worn out (did not rotate regularly) - ABS would kick in every time they lost traction when braking. I put a set of new Michelin MXV4's last week and what a difference it made in stopping and traction! These are rated for 65000miles and are replacing the same tire model that lasted for ~70000miles as rated.

I'd look at how much thread there is to work with and if not much then i'd get a new set of decent tires if you want a good control in NY snow.
Old 02-04-13, 09:28 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rlx101
how many miles are on these tires? these are 40% cheaper than OEM Michelin's, perhaps you get what you pay for?

When mine fronts were worn out (did not rotate regularly) - ABS would kick in every time they lost traction when braking. I put a set of new Michelin MXV4's last week and what a difference it made in stopping and traction! These are rated for 65000miles and are replacing the same tire model that lasted for ~70000miles as rated.

I'd look at how much thread there is to work with and if not much then i'd get a new set of decent tires if you want a good control in NY snow.
Michelin is a great tire company but by no mean is it a get what you pay for scenerio...Yokohama's are good as well. *Mich are grossly over priced in some catagories and for no reason, they may not be necessarily better, in the touring catagory many a tire can compete with them and come out cheaper in price*

I bought the car used so I would assume that these were the first set of replacements. I checked the tires carefully yesterday and they were made in 2008 but given the milage on the car it seems they are hardening and starting to get surface cracks due to lack of road exposure. (car is 2002 with only 65K on it)

I plan on getting a set of snows as if you have ever owned snow tires you will quickly realize there is truly no such thing as an "all season tire". There are snow tires , summer tires and then everything else. (my ISF drove past many an SUV in 14" of snow in NYC a couple years ago like it had claws on it- Go Blizzaks!!)

thanks for all the feedback -

Last edited by NYC ES3; 02-04-13 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-04-13, 09:32 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hypervish
Unfortunately VSC is not standard. You can look at the attached pdf to see what was standard and what was not. I wish it was, but then again I don't really care. LOL

Yup, keep us updated!

I stand corrected...Wow I didnt know they were built with out it...
But it reminds me a while a ago I saw a 1997 ES300 for sale - WITHOUT LEATHER!!???!
I was truly amazed!
Old 02-04-13, 02:35 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if you have snow for at couple of months straight then yes, nothing will be better than a good set of snows. Truth is, it feels like last few winters we only had good snow for 3-4 few weeks straight or so (total), buying winter tires does not make sense for me personally.

all season - i've seen the difference with good all seasons, in boston winters they handle well, i can climb up steep drive way covered in snow with no problems, in the summer they are just as good - very quiet and great traction in the rain.

so i say there is such a thing as good all season tire. im sticking to what toyota puts on our lexus originally. My only gripe with them is that i have to put V rated tires which are more expensive due to 140mph rating. Which is total BS! Who is driving 140mph? My average speed on the odo is 20mph due to stop and go driving in boston traffic 99% of the time. Why do i have to pay premium for V rated tire? lol

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
Michelin is a great tire company but by no mean is it a get what you pay for scenerio...Yokohama's are good as well. *Mich are grossly over priced in some catagories and for no reason, they may not be necessarily better, in the touring catagory many a tire can compete with them and come out cheaper in price*

I bought the car used so I would assume that these were the first set of replacements. I checked the tires carefully yesterday and they were made in 2008 but given the milage on the car it seems they are hardening and starting to get surface cracks due to lack of road exposure. (car is 2002 with only 65K on it)

I plan on getting a set of snows as if you have ever owned snow tires you will quickly realize there is truly no such thing as an "all season tire". There are snow tires , summer tires and then everything else. (my ISF drove past many an SUV in 14" of snow in NYC a couple years ago like it had claws on it- Go Blizzaks!!)

thanks for all the feedback -
Old 02-04-13, 02:49 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

I'd agree with that. and that being said...I may just get some good "all seasons" bridgestone turanza did well on my 1997 ES300. may go with them again.
I refuse to pay micheline money for a set of tires that small...lol (resistance is futile - I know..lol)

That being said the mystery is the transmission mount is broken (driver side). Will purchase and repair...and update.

I am going to more than likely change the engine mount (passenger side) also...just because (same age - might as well) as well as the strut torque mount on the top passenger side.

Will update everyone in a couple of weeks.
Till then I will drive it easy and hopefully no more snow.
Old 02-04-13, 02:59 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Good idea to replace all the mounts, as when one mount is bad it puts more stress on the others and therefore they usually fail soon after.
Old 02-07-13, 12:11 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hypervish
Good idea to replace all the mounts, as when one mount is bad it puts more stress on the others and therefore they usually fail soon after.
Diagnosis - Right and left mounts shot (Transmission mount, and Engine mount)

This done by jacking up front end, driver with foot on brake hard, then accellerate, from underneath car watched engine TQ move engine way beyond point it should... (Passenger side) also excessive movement on left (driver side) where tranny is mounted causing axle movement thus felt throughout entire front end under heavy load of TQ. which explains why when driven normal without load its as smooth as butter.

Glad its not my ABS system crapping out...Mounts ordered from Sewell (using CL discount - THANK GOD for CL!).

Its a 2002 ES but it now belongs to me so it gets spoiled with OEM parts instead of aftermarket and with the condition this car was kept in by the previous owner I "owe it to the car"..lol